Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas

i was at the track the other day and i saw this dude, who had his fairings attached to his bike with velcro patches. it seemed to stick pretty well to the bike. he never had any problems with the fairings coming off during riding, so he said.

obviously its a lot faster and easier to take off the fairings for any kind of maintenance and such...

what do you guys think? ever seen it? experience with it? good idea?
would it be beatter just for a track bike or would it be ok for a street bike as well?

i'm tempted to do this myself...

what do you think?:drunk:

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
pics?

IMO would not be a good idea for street.....too many variables like holes in the road (not in CH, I know!) .

For track where bike is torn down every short interval - could be a smart thing.

DZUS fasteners are the standard and have been used countless times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't see a purpose for it for street bikes and you'll most likely never need to 'rush' to take fairings off. So I'd say leave the bolts on for street, but as for track it seems like a good idea. That is you had good enough Velcro.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I actually think it sounds like a good idea for a street bike :O on the track i think something more secure like dzus are necessary. Just in case you go down, you wont have your plastics just unvelcroing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My only concern would be what would happen in the event of a crash. Damage to fairings is a pretty easy fix, and if you're going with aftermarket plastics or race glass it can be relatively inexpensive too. They also provide that "extra layer" in the event of a slide that can protect the more important bits and pieces underneath. Would the fairings not simply rip off in the event of a crash if they were attached with velcro?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wouldn't do it with velcro, that sounds like it will just take one loose seam for air to get into and tear a piece of the bike. Dzus clips are the way to go for quick release.

Maybe if you make it velcro on a street bike they won't have to steal your bike for the plastics because they can just peal them off :crackup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Didn't think of that, those are good points. I agree, no velcro haha.

·
Registered
123 Posts
this has BAD IDEA written all over it... like how moonshine was invented... "what is the cheapest, fastest way we can remove and reattach fairings..." or "what is the cheapest, fastest way, we can get shitfaced..."

i just keep envisioning the cheap velcro, the ones that usually cover the flaps on our jackets?? wrists and neck?? lol...

they do have some good velcro, but they are thick, much too thick... i use them for picture frames, but even after a few earthquakes, they get a little loose...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yup, agree with dtl no matter how good the velcro is, the nature of the material is that after a certain period of use its gna wear out, specially if it exposed to water sand grease oil etc..and with the high temperatures the bike runs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts