Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So it's been about, I dunno, 3 weeks now and I've been looking for reviews and such for motorcycle fairings.:icon_stud I read a review here, there, almost everywhere and still am undecided. For the longest time, I was pretty much sold on nicecycle.com and was thinking of going that route. Then I got turned off by a bad review (I can't recall what I read, LOL, but it kinda turned me off) Plus, none of their fairings come with Honda, wings, or HRC logos, yet they post them on the fairings on their site and it seems to me that all other vendors DO sell them with these logos. Whatever. I went to GPfairings and it sounded and looked pretty good but then I read that their paint runs a bit and that the fairings are very susceptible to rocks, chips. Well, I'm not parking my bike in my garage, I wanna ride it! I looked up D9 Industries and found an excellent review. Really good, but searches on google tell of horror stories with them, so I question the review as being trumped up by someone getting a payoff from them. I also checked out motofansclub reviews and it just seems to me that the paint jobs are just too thin. Next I checked out motorcycle-fairing.com and that looked pretty good. Nothing bad or negative on them yet. And last, I checked out Armour Bodies at woodcraft-cfm.com. Their stuff looked pretty good but it looks like that stuff is only designed for track, no street, and it doesn't come painted either. I feel like I'm running around in circles.:tard: Is it too much to ask that someone make good, sturdy fairings, with a good paint job anymore? If I want crap, I'll go to ebay, but I don't want to give myself a stroke out of anger and frustration trying to get those things on. Doesn't anyone make fairings in the good ol' USA anymore? Seems to me that most come from Japan or China, and I'm sorry, but it's just crazy to try to deal with someone halfway across the globe when one has a problem and they already have your money.
I'm just searching for some serious suggestions here from folks who have bought fairings and have had minor (MINOR!) fit problems and where the paint was actually good. I appreciate all the vendors willing to defend their product, but actual customer experience carries more weight.

I guess it's just impossible to find the perfect set of fairings, isn't it? :help:

...and yes, I know this sounds a bit more like a rant, rather and a question. Sorry guys.:bandit:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Did you consider the OEM fairings? Perfect fit, no runs, sturdy, lasts for as long as you don't drop.

If you want quality, you got to pay the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Postscript: I also am looking at selectautomoto.net to see what's the haps with them but it seems like they have issues with paint as well. I almost feel compelled to say "f**k this, I'll just keep the fairings I have now and see if someone can recreate the Repsol design on them. I imagine I would have to purchase the Honda and HRC decals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you consider the OEM fairings? Perfect fit, no runs, sturdy, lasts for as long as you don't drop.

If you want quality, you got to pay the price.
I have considered that, and as funny as it sounds, I don't even know where I would go to get a set, unpainted, or who to take them to to get the Repsol design I want.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
ebay for the fairings, I plan on wrapping mine with a vinyl design (trackwraps.com) but I've only spent around $250 for my second set of OEM fairings, they only need a good paint job and they would be new (some parts are perfect as is) too bad you dont have a 07-09 cause I got some OEM lowers for sale.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Honest opinion...a kit from motofansclub will just do. At least if it got knock over, it wouldn't be as bad as a $1K+ fairing. Nothing's permanent so I wouldn't stress over finding the 'right' fairing. Like you said, you're planning to ride it and that opens the door to debris, rocks, sofa, drawer, you name it, flying your way.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
there was vendor having a sale of unpainted oem fairings i saw earlier... i think it was like 575$ or something... then u could have them painted or paint em ur self.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently looking to see if I can find a shop in my area that'll paint my OEM fairings with the design I want. As I mentioned before, I like the look of the Repsol paint job. I was thinking of getting it with all the sponsor decals as well but maybe changing a couple. After all, I don't have brembo brakes and I'd feel kinda stupid riding around with brembo on my bike while using nissin.
Anyone know of any good paint shops that can hook up a good quality paint job in the IE area? Fontucky, Ontario, Chino...

Yeah, I think getting my OEM painted over is probably the best bet. Then, I don't have to worry about "fit" and concentrate on paint. I can find HRC stickers on the internets I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm currently looking to see if I can find a shop in my area that'll paint my OEM fairings with the design I want. As I mentioned before, I like the look of the Repsol paint job. I was thinking of getting it with all the sponsor decals as well but maybe changing a couple. After all, I don't have brembo brakes and I'd feel kinda stupid riding around with brembo on my bike while using nissin.
Anyone know of any good paint shops that can hook up a good quality paint job in the IE area? Fontucky, Ontario, Chino...

Yeah, I think getting my OEM painted over is probably the best bet. Then, I don't have to worry about "fit" and concentrate on paint. I can find HRC stickers on the internets I'm sure.

Lots of work making it look pretty. Mods would be much better for the money. I was in your shoes, but now, ehh...with the money you spent on the fairing, I could use it to down another bike. :toothy4:

Well if you still decide to go forward, keep us posted of what you find and the processes. G'Luck!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
PLanning and quotes is what you need to do first, I tell you know for what you want/expect you are going to get a shock of your life and end back with the aftermarket crowd of fairings. Here in Australia, painting it was $2000

Next time your out, pop into a spray shop / smash repairs. Just ask them for a quote to paint them a colour you want, and thus from that shock, you will then need to add on decals for the OEM and great quality ones norm about $150+ set, add on new grommets, bolts, screen $80

Aftermarket $575 incl shipping, yes you will get paint drips, spot here and there nothing that decal cant fix or paint chip paint. as its on the road its going to get chipped also.

I got mine from motofansclub, a review will be on here soon next 48hrs with pics etc,

decals go with the higher end department, dont go cheap and nasty, yet again in Oz HRC decals each $12, I had tried the cheaper ones and you can tell they aint right. Tapeworks can do some good decals, along with this site http://www.xtremedecals.com/default.tpl?cart=11685110905889550&id1=170&id2=286&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=286&--SECTIONSword=ww1

Another WARNING Honda a quite tough in regard to copyright of their logos, decal on OEM bikes. It is hard to get a decent copy of the honda wings (normally they are 2 colours on the fuel tank, as in it hads a outline colour diff then the centered colour, as the aftermarket ones are always 1 colour only) and thus a lot of places do a copy but it aint right, and thus buy the OEM tank decal HRC decal

A word from experience, most graphics especially the repsol are designed for the 1000 bikes, and thus larger fairings and more room for decals, unlike ours, So there could be a bit of cutting up to do, or re ordering to a smaller size for 600, as for me it took 2 diff suppliers and 3 diff lots before it was "right/better" then what i had. and doing the OEM repsol paint is expensive also, but im all for a task and a mission, and if i find it in the next 5 min, i will give you a link for the paint codes for the repsol, another way to save money, buy the paint for the spraypainters. :)

here are some decal kit places you maybe interested in

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Honda_Graphics_Kits.html

http://www.dragobike.com/sticker_kits_2006-4129-en.html

paint colorite
http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=1303712&CFTOKEN=84013140

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to have to mull this one over. I'm starting to think that Dreamboy is right. Maybe I should just leave it alone and spend the money on performance mods, though I'm not sure what I can really do in terms of making my bike better and not break the bank. I do like decals though, just not an a$$load of 'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts