Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm angry.

As all of you know, I'll be buying a 08 or 09 600 real soon, and i've gone out of my way to learn everything I can, and become part of this community. I think most of you would agree at this point that I've done a pretty decent job become part of 600rr family.

My OWN family however, doesn't really think so highly of my new hobby.

For the last month, I've been putting up with daily inquisitions from my mother on "why you want to kill yourself on that deathtrap" and "I've known too many people who have died on motorcycles" and so on. It sounds minor, but thats just two examples, and once she gets going, she wont shut up.

I've already bought a 500 dollar helmet, riding boots, pants, gloves. So I'm serious. She doesn't actually know I've bought it yet, so she thinks she can sill convince me to not get a bike.

You know, and I know, that I've done the best I could to minimize my risk, and like the rest of us, I've consigned myself to that fact that one day, no matter how much gear i wear, my number might just be called.

Has anyone else faced this family problem? How can I help my mother understand that this is just a personal decision, and that its not going to change?

Cheers from me .
Phill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Mom wrote a check back in 1991 for my first CBR600 Hurricane.
Best thing you can do for you and your family is Take a Riders Safety Course and wear Good Gear, not just a helmet.

This wont fix the issues with Motor cycles but it will maybe ease SOME of the apprehension your mom has about how safe it will be.

Just don't push the limits of your skill and adhere to the Motor Cycle Safety Course teachings and you will be more prepared for the Road then maybe the rest of the Squids out there with Sport Bikes pushing the envelope.
You should respect the Bike and the Threat of being out in the open. Cagers are out to Kill you cause they are in a hurry and Love their Cellphones, they wont drop them to turn their heads to look and see that your coming.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Mom wrote a check back in 1991 for my first CBR600 Hurricane.
Best thing you can do for you and your family is Take a Riders Safety Course and wear Good Gear, not just a helmet.

This wont fix the issues with Motor cycles but it will maybe ease SOME of the apprehension your mom has about how safe it will be.

Just don't push the limits of your skill and adhere to the Motor Cycle Safety Course teachings and you will be more prepared for the Road then maybe the rest of the Squids out there with Sport Bikes pushing the envelope.
You should respect the Bike and the Threat of being out in the open. Cagers are out to Kill you cause they are in a hurry and Love their Cellphones, they wont drop them to turn their heads to look and see that your coming.
I've got

Arai RX-7 helmet
Shoei RF-1000 helmet
A* SMX-2 boots
Held Gloves
RS-T jacket about to order
A* track pants

I know exactly what your saying, but maybe I didn't word it right. I'm not an unsafe person, I've already been riding MotoX and driving Drag cars for a while, she just has a serious fear of me on a streetbike, and I hate to see her worry all the time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i don't think i can help you because i every time i see my parents my dad still says he not gonna let me ride and he is gonna take my bike away etc. but i still ride it

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
she wont, even after you get it she'll still bug and bug and bug even if she knows your not gonna change your mine ive had the rr for about a year and still hear it everytime i see her. they wont get it till after they actually ride one which is what i plan on doing

·
Registered
579 Posts
Tell her just how much you will save on gas... if that doesnt work, show her a good wheelie.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I dont think you'll ever win her over on the issue. ~ You're her son. Probably the most important and cherished part of her life. Just be gentle and try to calm her by -very nicely- explaining the steps you've taken to be safe and how aware you are of the risks, etc. etc.
Just thinking about my son riding a street bike makes my stomach drop so I can actually feel her agony.

D

·
0 Posts
Yea I don't think you'll be able to win her over. My mother was the same way before I got mine, even threatening to kick me out of the house if I did get it. Now we just have like an unspoken agreement not to talk about it. She doesn't bitch to me about it as long as I don't talk about riding around her.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same story here, every time I come over and visit she asks if I still ride. I say yes, and she then points out all the gray hair that I am "causing." Though with gas prices as high as they are, her arguments have subsided somewhat. Like everyone else has said, you mother doesn't want you to get hurt, and its pretty much her job to worry about you, especially when you are volunteeringly putting yourself in harm's way. My mom straight up said that she doesn't worry about my driving skills or me doing something stupid, she worries about all the other morons out there that don't pay attention to us two-wheelers. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
595 Posts
My mom hates me even looking at sportbikes let alone ride them ( didn't help by buying that 1k she knows lounder is worse )

You can't please everyone, as we all find out time after time. So there comes a time I think when you just do your own thing, and the people around you either start to except it or they are no longer a factor anymore.....

You have been a great addition to thie forum, and even went out of the way helping a member in distress yesterday ( haha myself actaully) so I dont think your being unreasonable with her.

My mom was very very against it, so I waited till they left for a day and went to buy my bike....after time it grew on her and she will actually will ride with my dad and I ( on the back of his bike of course ) lol

You gotta see it her way though, not sure what the situation but she probably gave birth to you and thats something we will probably never fully understand so of course she don't want you to have anything you could indanger yourself on ....

it eases after time, well in my case it did anyway.....it will be okay though dont stress..hope all is well, take care

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
when i signed up for raceschool i called my mom and she told me, that i should go get a will written up
she HATED the bike when i first got it, i didnt ask for permission on it, but i just showed her over the years how responsible i am on it,
she still tries to convince me everytime i go on a trip to take the car and not the bike, but thats mothers for ya
but i mean, its all about giving the parent time to get used to your hobby

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have been a great addition to thie forum, and even went out of the way helping a member in distress yesterday ( haha myself actaully) so I dont think your being unreasonable with her.

it eases after time, well in my case it did anyway.....it will be okay though dont stress..hope all is well, take care
Thanks man, I'm here for anyone anytime if I can help, ya'll know that.

As for not stressing, I'm going to start knocking back Jack and go nuts big dog :icon_lol:

I just hate to see her worried, she's a good person, just takes things a bit far sometimes with my safety. She never knew how fast my cars were, and I'm never going to tell her, so I just have to let her settle into it.

Thanks for the support, Means a lot folks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My family is exactly the same way. That's just how it goes. While I was under their roof I followed their rules. Now I live in a different state, pay my own bills, and live my own damn life. I'll be as safe as I can, but I'm not going to live in a bubble.

It's morbid to think it, but in 20-30 years my parents will be dead and gone, and I don't want to wonder why I've lived my life for some person who is now gone. Live your own life. Do your best to make yourself safe, for your sake and for theirs, but don't let them tell you how to live.

Oh yeah, and start small. Your parents will feel a lot better about your riding if you're on a little 250 that is more manageable, doesn't look like a racing bike, etc. Plus you'll be safer.

D

·
0 Posts
I had to put up with all of that for almost 4 months before I got my bike, from my mom, my dad, and my bitch of a (now ex) girlfriend. I even had to put up with my mom saying she will kick me out of the house and no longer cover my tuition if I got a bike. My ex was just flat out hated bikes because her mom crashed her zx-10r into the back of her house trying to learn how to ride it in her back yard and her dad went intersection surfing on his skin when he tried to take a turn going too fast. I think my mom still hates it, but I don't know since she's quiet about it. My dad however is proud of me because every time I sit on my bike to go ride anywhere, I am more protected then he has ever been in his 35 years of riding.

Just show them you're safe and responsible and within time they'll at least accept that you ride a bike and leave you alone about it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My mom was the same way. She kept on telling me sons and daughters of her customer died riding bikes.

I just showed her how responsible and careful I am when I'm on my bike. Showed her all my gears and make sure she understands how serious I am when it comes to safety.

She eventually accepted it as my hobby. Every time I hop on my bike she just tells me to be careful and call her when I stop for breaks and gas, which I do so that she doesn't worry.

Don't hate your mom for it. She just cares for you. Just show her you understand her feelings and that you are taking the correct steps toward your hobby. She'll understand, eventually.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is one of the more dangerous hobbies but. look how many people die from baseball or serious injury from football. I think in america we accept some injury from sport but will not accept it on a bike. Hey she is your mom if your still at home i say if you wanna make the decision you should do it on your own dime. I would not like my daughter have a bike even though i do. You will understand once you have your own.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is one of the more dangerous hobbies but. look how many people die from baseball or serious injury from football. I think in america we accept some injury from sport but will not accept it on a bike. Hey she is your mom if your still at home i say if you wanna make the decision you should do it on your own dime. I would not like my daughter have a bike even though i do. You will understand once you have your own.
When I was in highschool, one of the teams we played had a kid who was killed from a massive concussion to the head from a hit in football.

And oh man, totally my own dime, I would never make my family pay for something that might kill me, I've already got all the cash for my bike set aside so i can avoid paying it off.

Yeah, I guess a few of you are parents, and its true she's just looking out for me, I just wish she'd drop it eventually.

WHich clearly, she wont.

·
Registered
939 Posts
family , especially mums are always gonna feel that way. Mine felt the same when I was first brought a Puch Magnum X 50cc back in 77. All you can do is express your pleasure and ride safe. Riding safely can give just as much satisfaction as riding fast.
If you wanna start ripping it, go to the track. Good luck, Jon

·
Registered
753 Posts
Live with it...

..I am 42 years old and have been riding since I was 14, (I bought the bike and had to hide it in the woods so my parents wouldn't know). My mother is now 80 years old and I have been out of the house for 25 years. She still doesn't like the fact that I ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts