Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Im sure you get these types of posts on a daily basis, and im zipping up my flame suit as i type this, but i need your help...

Ive had a strong passion for sport bikes and dirt bikes since i was very young. All throughout my life, my parents have been extremely against riding motorcycles of any kind, for various reasons. I turned to modding cars to keep away the addiction, but as you can tell, that didnt last long. I saved up around $14-15k and split the cost of my first car with my grandfather (2007 E92 335i, n54, 6mt, a little over 40k miles-ish), pay for all the maintenance, gas, etc etc. Ive been driving this car (it is a 6MT, which is hard to find in Naples Florida lol) for a little over a year now, and i still love it, but it cant get my mind off of bikes (CBR and the R6 in specific).

I plan on asking my parents to let me get a motorcycle within the next couple months. I have saved up the cash for the bike (im thinking a 2008+ Ninja 250 or an 03-04 CBR), plan on paying for the insurance, maintenance, license, gear, tires, and everything else. The only problem is my mother/father allowing that because of their personal griefs against motorcycles.

So, what i need your help with, is convincing them to let me try it out. Ive compiled the following precautions and rules that i am planning on abiding by if i do get the bike. I need your help in thinking of things to add to this so that it will comfort them enough to let me try it out.

What i am planning on doing:
-First, motorcycles license from a local Harley shop that includes several days of one-on-one training
-Only riding with full gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and pants. Probably textiles since ive heard leathers are a lot of $$$)
-MSF course. Not terribly sure where to find one, but ill take care of that later

Id appreciate any and all advice on how to convince them to let me try it out. If they dont let me now, i can always wait until im out of college, but i really would prefer not to put such a strong, lasting passion to the side for so long...

Thanks all,
-E

Edit: Almost forgot, my username is a joke, i wont be squidding :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
How old are you? If you are still a kid (17 and below and/or still living with them) I can see why, but if you are 18 and up and on your own. I don't see why you shouldn't pursue what you love. When I told my parents that I got a bike, they gave me an hour long lecture on why I should sell it ASAP, yada yada. I told them I understand where they are coming from, but its my life and I am going to do what I want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old are you? If you are still a kid (17 and below and/or still living with them) I can see why, but if you are 18 and up and on your own. I don't see why you shouldn't pursue what you love. When I told my parents that I got a bike, they gave me an hour long lecture on why I should sell it ASAP, yada yada. I told them I understand where they are coming from, but its my life and I am going to do what I want.
17 going on 18, still living with them until i go to college. They are rather old-school, and my mother witnessed a horrible squid vs truck crash when she was younger, so thats where her fears come from...

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts

Show them these vids. Then buy the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if you do get a bike now I'd recommend the two fiddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
My price range is around 4k$, so im planning on finding a nice Ninja250 or equivalent and ride it for a year or so, then when i have the mechanics down, ill switch up to my dream ride (600RR). :banger:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My price range is around 4k$, so im planning on finding a nice Ninja250 or equivalent and ride it for a year or so, then when i have the mechanics down, ill switch up to my dream ride (600RR). :banger:
I bought my 600rr for $3500.

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
Move out and be on your own before getting one. I can understand where they are coming from if you are living at home but things will change when you are out on your own. If there any problems then it's your life not theirs.

If they haven't already said it.
"My house, my rules"

·
Registered
289 Posts
My family was the same way! Bikes are dangerous blah blah blah. Everything in this world is dangerous if used incorrectly and not respected. A bike can be a fun and safe hobby if you respect it.
I am a gear head and a bike is the utopia toy for gear heads. I wanted one a lot younger but my family went against me 100 % and stopped me. When I got older I got one anyways and they could not longer do anything to stop me. Now I have to learn everything from scratch and I'm trying to learn stuff I should have learned years ago. IF my family would have only been supportive all those years ago, I would probably be 10 times the rider I am today. They should not try to stop you but be supportive. They should make sure you have the proper gear and attend the right training classes. They should support your dream but make sure you do it safely and correctly. I promised myself if I ever have a kid I will allow him to chase his dreams and do everything I can to help and support him in his conquest.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
get a ninja 250,,,
or a cbr 250 and mod it they make some sweet parts for those bikes now.

wait a while for a 600......

you sound like a reasonable person.

your planning is a good sign that you will be ok....

would not hurt to ride a road bike (push bike,bicycle ) either as the lesson in

"being invisible on 2 wheels" is invaluable.

Good Luck!!

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Look mayne, my parents were against me getting a bike too. So I did the next best thing, I borrowed my buddies 250 for weeks at a time so my parents would see how serious I was about buying a bike. As time went by they started to relax on the idea of me owning one.

I guess they saw how responsible I was on the 250 that they trusted I would be okay on a moto after all.

Think about it like the "owning a puppy" argument. Show them how responsible guy really are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Move out and be on your own before getting one. I can understand where they are coming from if you are living at home but things will change when you are out on your own. If there any problems then it's your life not theirs.If they haven't already said it.
"My house, my rules"
I would, but the problem is that they should they would not pay for my college tuition if i bought one in college...

My family was the same way! Bikes are dangerous blah blah blah. Everything in this world is dangerous if used incorrectly and not respected. A bike can be a fun and safe hobby if you respect it.
I am a gear head and a bike is the utopia toy for gear heads. I wanted one a lot younger but my family went against me 100 % and stopped me. When I got older I got one anyways and they could not longer do anything to stop me. Now I have to learn everything from scratch and I'm trying to learn stuff I should have learned years ago. IF my family would have only been supportive all those years ago, I would probably be 10 times the rider I am today. They should not try to stop you but be supportive. They should make sure you have the proper gear and attend the right training classes. They should support your dream but make sure you do it safely and correctly. I promised myself if I ever have a kid I will allow him to chase his dreams and do everything I can to help and support him in his conquest.
Wow, thank you! I will use these topics to my advantage. My parents support me with a lot of things, but when it came to my cars/bikes, they do not. Thanks for the advice and personal experience.

get a ninja 250,,,
or a cbr 250 and mod it they make some sweet parts for those bikes now.

wait a while for a 600......

you sound like a reasonable person.

your planning is a good sign that you will be ok....

would not hurt to ride a road bike (push bike,bicycle ) either as the lesson in

"being invisible on 2 wheels" is invaluable.

Good Luck!!
The first problem i have to tackle is my parents, rather than picking out a bike. At this point in the game, a liter bike is no different than a Schwinn :cruising: thanks for the advice!

Look mayne, my parents were against me getting a bike too. So I did the next best thing, I borrowed my buddies 250 for weeks at a time so my parents would see how serious I was about buying a bike. As time went by they started to relax on the idea of me owning one.

I guess they saw how responsible I was on the 250 that they trusted I would be okay on a moto after all.

Think about it like the "owning a puppy" argument. Show them how responsible guy really are.
Interesting idea. I have a buddy with a 600RR who is also on this forum (not sure how active...), but i would definitely not take his bike from him for so long. Maybe ill swap rides for a couple days though ;) Thanks for a more serious reply :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
YEA KID... wait till your old enough where whatever you do... youre parents cant do shiznit because they accepted the fact that your grown up. you have smart parents btw. i got my bike when at 27... do you think they were going to stop me or even attempt? no because they know im grown up. time will come to ride

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your too young for a bike. Drive a car well for a few more years. You have to understand very subtle signs from other drivers and that only comes with experience. Don't rush it. These things can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.
If I were to let loose and do everything I want I could be killed in one day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
Wait till you are on your own or you are going to piss them off and then you are going to have a bike and no tuition. Just the way I am looking at it. You know how they feel about it already, I wouldn't push your luck.

I am a parent so my view on this might be different than most.
Probably not what you want to hear, just wait. I waited till I was 25 to get my bike and I could have had a bike anytime after I was 17.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts