Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is overheating because for some reason my fan to my radiator will not turn on. I even idle'd the bike to 235 F and it did not turn on. I went on a ride and saw that it got up to 260 when I wasn't moving. Any ideas?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check to see if you have a faulty cooling fan motor or even the fan control relay. Check connections also to the above mentioned items.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you happen to know where the relay is?

·
Registered
123 Posts
should be located on the left mid section, right above the coolant hose. You should see three relays, the one in the middle should be the fan control relay.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know how to check it? sorry I'm not that electrically inclined. btw I checked and the fan is getting power but isn't moving. It is actually a little tough to spin with my hand. Seems like it rubs a little on the radiator, possibly

·
Registered
123 Posts
if your fan is getting power, then the problem is with your fan. I believe the fan should be able to freespin when there's no power, will check with my bike later on tonight if i remember.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it seems a little difficult to spin and I hope that it just needs to be loosened up some or something like that so it has more clearance to the radiator, so I won't have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there an easy way to do that? I mean without taking the upper off and the radiator off?

·
Registered
123 Posts
forgot to check my bike yesterday, think you can remove the mid fairings to reach the fan, you just need to loosen the bolts so that the fan isn't touching the radiator. Possibly temporarily shimming so you don't have to hold the fan away from the radiator.

·
Registered
245 Posts
to check to see if the fan is getting power, take a multimeter set to voltage and let the bike heat up to temp, if it starts reading around 12-14 volts when the fan should be on, you have a bad fan motor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already checked, it is getting power.

·
Registered
245 Posts
well if it's getting power, it's either touching the radiator (i had this problem) or the motor is dead. it also means the relay and fuse are fine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i switched the relay with another one and its fine. It seems difficult to spin the fan so I'm going to try to take it off and bang on the brackets some.

·
Registered
123 Posts
sorry it took so long to check, keep forgetting, been busy lately. My fan does spin freely (no effort) with the bike off so you probably wanna try free up your fan from the radiator

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
turns out the bottom bracket was bent so i just put a little spacer in between the bottom bracket and the mounting point and now it turns on. thanks for all the help and the input li1p1aya.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am having the same problem .. my fan is hitting the radiator .. and I am gonna check using whats said above.. but my radiatir looks a little bent too .. my oil light came on due to overheating a few times .. I have repsol 10w40 racing oil ... whats up with that?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just jerry rig a spacer onto there, it seems like the easiest fix to me

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am having the same problem .. my fan is hitting the radiator .. and I am gonna check using whats said above.. but my radiatir looks a little bent too .. my oil light came on due to overheating a few times .. I have repsol 10w40 racing oil ... whats up with that?
oil light comes on due to very low oil or low oil pressure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts