Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently made a thread about considering trading my 2012 cbr600rr for a 2015 suzuki drz400sm. Well i made the deal so i wanted to make a new thread for it. I really like it and can't wait to ride it. Engine is carburated, liquid cooled 398cc single. Makes like 35 HP (that will have to do!) comes stock with showa inverted forks, excel 17 inch wheels fitted with dunlop sportmax tires. 300mm floating disc brake up front. The valve, clutch and magneto covers are magnesium. So it's a simple machine but they do give ya some cool stuff with it. Parts on order so far are as follows: Yoshimura RS2 CF full system (pretty sweet) yosh fender eliminator and tail light. Hand, fork, and radiator guards. Will update after install. Also plan on getting a jetting kit. The parts guy said the aftermarket carbs do turn it into a whole new machine but they really suck down the gas. and i already only have a 2.6 gallon tank. one of the downfalls. I will attach some stock pics before it's too late. If you want i can make sound clips before and after i install the yosh, but it will be taken with my phone so not good quality. Even though i no longer own a cbr i would like to keep hanging out here at .Net and share my motard with ya. Thanks for reading.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
if you find this one is lacking power, you can always upgrade to an aprilia sxv-550 or ktm 690smc and double your power

they are spendy though, make sure you're really in love with motards before making the move.

i wouldn't suggest spending a pile of money building the drz, there is a lot out there for them but they aren't the most potent platform, but can still be a ton of fun in stock form.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the drz isn't up to par performance wise with the high strung european models. I spent much time drooling over the ktm's and huskies but can't afford one yet. Converting something like a cr450r seems like too much of a headache to make legal and also too expensive. And those engines are designed for short bursts around a track then be shut down. The drz was my affordable solution and should serve me well and require less maintenance. And i guess i didn't exactly sacrifice my RR for performance in this case. Honestly one of the big reasons i made the swap is because i was thinking a sumo will present me with more opportunities to learn more skills. It should lead me into some interesting situations lol. That and it makes me smile just looking at it.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
Don't think for a second I was talking **** about the drz. I have several friends who've had them. I was just suggesting you don't try to build it to make much more power, there are much more potent motards readily available.

Hope you enjoy it. I still miss my motard some days

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
man that thing looks fun!

Great job with the pics CBR time!

Reactions: forced induction

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
DRZ's are great! You can abuse the crap out of them and they keep going. I've owned a few SM's and would have no reservations about getting a DRZ. If you haven't gotten the wheelie bug, yet...you will.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great looking bike you have there mate. I would really like a sumo just to hoon around on. It would have to be a second bike though. I don't think I could last very long on that seat. Lol. I am loving those gold wheels though!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, it helps alleviate some of the sadness from parting with my cbr. I couldn't hardly look at it on my way out of the dealership. Hope it gets a responsible owner i treated that bike like a living thing. Wasn't a scratch on it. It's kind of weird all as they did is start it up for two seconds to make sure it runs, didn't even make sure it shifts through the gears. Here i was cleaning it up as good as i could trying to make it perfect for show and they don't even give a fu*k lol. But i think i have found my soul mate now, i plan to keep my drz until her death do us part. I dig the gold wheels too! something about gold on a white bike really turns me on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sweet bike! I also just picked up 2013 DRZ recently. I tried supermotos before and I didn't really get it. But everyone raves about them so I took a leap of faith. It was still awkward at first, but once you understand how they like to ridden (read: crossed up), it's been a hoot.

I can only imagine how much fun the top tier supermotos are.

What's beyond my compreshension is why these things didn't come with a fuel light. Ask me how I learned this. :banghead:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats, any time off the beaten path yet?
Thanks man. No off road adventures yet, shall be interesting how she does at it with street tires. I think i will stick to the well groomed trails with this one. I did get in at least one street ride last weekend though and had a blast. The bike is very nimble as expected. It rides good, the brakes work great, all around happy with it so far. I thought of getting the standard S model instead of the SM because they come with the bigger wheels and nobbies, but i still have a couple 2 stroke dirtbikes if i get the urge to do some serious trail riding.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was still awkward at first, but once you understand how they like to ridden (read: crossed up), it's been a hoot.

What's beyond my compreshension is why these things didn't come with a fuel light. Ask me how I learned this. :banghead:
No fuel light WTF! i was yet to discover this. Thanks for sparing me from learning it your way lol. Guess i better remember to reset my trip meter every time i fill up. They feel very awkward indeed if coming from a sportbike. For many people they would probably be better suited as a second bike, but i live out in rural Wisconsin so for me it's the only way to go. I'm always riding the country roads out here, and they're littered with all types of hazards. Huge holes in the roads everywhere, gravel around every turn, animals, piles of horse ****, you name it i encounter it on every ride. These things were not fun to deal with on my cbr but on my sumo i should be able to just fly right over all of it. Except the **** piles, i will probably still go around those.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My new bike has came a long way since I introduced it so thought i'd update with some new pics. Pretty happy with how all it turned out. Work done as follows: Yosh Rs2 CF full exhaust. Yosh fender eliminator and tail light, Devol aluminum radiator guard, hand guards, KTM headlight and front fender, carb jet kit from JDjetting, KN air filter, 3×3 airbox mod, new signals and mirrors, and finished it off by having the suspension set today (best mod so far) Been fun working on it and even funner to ride! The next upgrade i am saving for is to go to SoCal supermoto school in california, sounds like a blast and a great place to learn. Thanks for reading. Enjoy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts