Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I feel like a cheat. i just bought my first bike 4 months ago.was playing around on the internet and came acros the ducati dealer in Omaha. So I had to call em, they have one 2012 848 demo bike left. It has a $1900 termi slip on, high flow filter and remaped ecu. They said they would give $6500 for mine and 13700 for the 848 EVO. Bike has a 1000 miles on it. Boy did I fall in love with it. All I have do is go sign and pay and she's mine. I wonder if the wife would notice if all of a sudden my bike went from blue/silver to all black. Lol. Has any one riden the new evo, if so how was it? Don't know what to do! I know its not a Cbr so don't drill me on it.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
wait until you get it serviced & insured, it's gonna leave a big hole in your pocket. LOL

·
Registered
118 Posts
The evo uses a wet clutch I believe. Haven't ridden one but a buddy races one. It isn't always breaking, but it does break. He does run it hard. He blew the motor once, and recently had the oil cooler lines pop off. Makes a lot more power and trq than the 600, and I suspect it would run fine as a normal street bike. They are more money to maintain and require a bit more frequent maintenance. I do like twins on the street though, and they look great

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
I don't like Ducati, same reason I don't like Ferarri, but I can't put it into understandable words :spank:

With that ugly dry clutch things Ducati's have she'd hear it yes, then probably see it and notice, and then run back inside and check the bank account and being a ducati then she'd REALLY notice LOL

You know the 2011+ GSXR750? I'd recommend them before Ducati...if you must, Ducati is a rolling bank account statement...thats all I see them as haha

As your obsessed with it right now and in the 'i want it' stage you probably haven't checked how often Ducati's need servicing, and how much it costs, you'll be back down to earth with us and your Honda soon :)
Maybe you should learn a little more about things before giving advice. The CBR is an average Japanese bike that has needed updating for a couple years now.

The 848 has a WET clutch, not a DRY clutch. They are also very easy to maintain and a blast to ride.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Play nice guys lol. The EVO does have wet clutch and the service intervals are 7500 miles now. Still don't think I'd let it go that long for an oil change. I change mine every 3000 to 3500 with amsoil full syn. That's just me. My insurance guy said the EVO isn't too much more. As for the account, she don't check mine and I pay all the bills, and for her new car every two years. My jeep is paid for.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2012 848 Corse Se and a 2009 CBR 600 RR.

Cut to the chase: CBR is much more user friendly.

Ducati has better brakes, better suspension and lots of electronic goodies (that can break). It is very fast and quick. Very narrow.

But the Ducati also throws an incredible amount of heat that will cook your crotch FAST, isn't comfortable at slow/stop-and-go speeds and doesn't really get comfortable until you are doing at least 85 mph and the wind helps support your torso.

Also, the 848 is much taller and heavier than the CBR and gets crappy gas mileage. The 2.5 gallon tank will take you about 95 miles. Period. End of story.

Lastly, EVERY 848 has an electronic glitch you never hear about until AFTER you buy. The batteries drain almost overnight - unless kept on a charger - due to the current demanded by the alarm system, which to my knowledge (and that of my dealer) can't be by-passed.

So is it a good idea to get rid of your CBR for the Ducati?

No.

While the Ducati is undeniably sexy - and fun - the Honda is a better companion. I'm fortunate to have nearly a dozen bikes, so I can live with the Ducati gremlins since it isn't my everyday ride.

Lastly, you can convert your CBR to a full blown racer for about $8,000 LESS than to make the same upgrades to the Duc.

Hope this helps.

@BR: Have a 2011 GSXR 750, too. I'd take the Ducati over the Suzuki. Better fit and finish, sexier - and BOTH leave my right hand tingling from vibration.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Play nice guys lol. The EVO does have wet clutch and the service intervals are 7500 miles now. Still don't think I'd let it go that long for an oil change. I change mine every 3000 to 3500 with amsoil full syn. That's just me. My insurance guy said the EVO isn't too much more. As for the account, she don't check mine and I pay all the bills, and for her new car every two years. My jeep is paid for.
your answered your question. you can aford it, and why not get something new? The worse thing happens is you dont like it sell it, pay off the loan and by a new cbr or move to something else like the BMW. If I was in your spot I would own/try all different kinds of bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I don't like Ducati, same reason I don't like Ferarri, but I can't put it into understandable words :spank:

With that ugly dry clutch things Ducati's have she'd hear it yes, then probably see it and notice, and then run back inside and check the bank account and being a ducati then she'd REALLY notice LOL

You know the 2011+ GSXR750? I'd recommend them before Ducati...if you must, Ducati is a rolling bank account statement...thats all I see them as haha

As your obsessed with it right now and in the 'i want it' stage you probably haven't checked how often Ducati's need servicing, and how much it costs, you'll be back down to earth with us and your Honda soon :)

bwahahahahahahahahahaha,

The exact reason why I ride a honda, I wanna ride not work on the bike, hahaha

·
Registered
913 Posts

Ducati has better brakes, better suspension and lots of electronic goodies (that can break). It is very fast and quick. Very narrow.

But the Ducati also throws an incredible amount of heat that will cook your crotch FAST, isn't comfortable at slow/stop-and-go speeds and doesn't really get comfortable until you are doing at least 85 mph and the wind helps support your torso.

Also, the 848 is much taller and heavier than the CBR and gets crappy gas mileage. The 2.5 gallon tank will take you about 95 miles. Period. End of story.

Lastly, EVERY 848 has an electronic glitch you never hear about until AFTER you buy. The batteries drain almost overnight - unless kept on a charger - due to the current demanded by the alarm system, which to my knowledge (and that of my dealer) can't be by-passed.

No.

While the Ducati is undeniably sexy - and fun - the Honda is a better companion. I'm fortunate to have nearly a dozen bikes, so I can live with the Ducati gremlins since it isn't my everyday ride.

Lastly, you can convert your CBR to a full blown racer for about $8,000 LESS than to make the same upgrades to the Duc.

Hope this helps.

@BR: Have a 2011 GSXR 750, too. I'd take the Ducati over the Suzuki. Better fit and finish, sexier - and BOTH leave my right hand tingling from vibration.
Pretty good comparision.. but some of your info is incorrect... the fuel capacity for the 848 is 4.1 gallons... if you have a 2.5 gal. tank you have the incorrect tank or have something in your tank that is killing your fuel capacity...I've gone 110 miles (2 up) on my 1098S and the gas light had not yet come on( gas light will come on with .9 gal is remaining in the tank.. I get better gas mileage on my 1098S than I do on my 600RR...44mpg vs. 42mpg.. both bikes have aftermarket filters, and slip on exhaust. no change in teeth in sprockets.

the 848 is LIGHTER than the 600RR with all fluids. The seat heights are almost the same..The 848 sits .4 higher than the 600RR..so it's not that much taller..if your battery on the 848 is dying over night you have a bad battery or something is draining your battery which isn't supposed to happen. the immobilizer can function for up to 24 hours after the bike turns off but if it's not moved it won't run for that long. The exhaust system on the 848 will make your leg and butt warm but installing a better flowing slip on will reduce the heat you feel since the hot exhaust is getting out quicker...

Yes the hydraulic clutch is heavy and will make your hand tired in stop/go traffic. The body positioning is more of a race set up and causing you to lean further forward putting more weight on your hands.

each bike is has it's pro's and con's....my 1098S is more comfortable in some areas compared to my 600RR... and vice versa... With my 1098S i have had almost no issues...When Ducati built the airbox and air filter they didn't make the 2 a tight fit and there is a gap at both ends of the filter when in the airbox. This is a known issue with all of the 848/1098/1198 bikes. This gap allowed a lot of dirt into my airbox that dropped into my front cylinder and caused it to fail... the dirt acted like sand paper and wore my cylinder down... The bike is back into the shop for a failed rod bearing....BUT when you put 50,400 miles on a '08 1098S things will start to wear and need to be replaced... It was my 100 miles a day daily driver for over 2 years in every type of weather.. As long as you do the scheduled services when they are supposed to be done and oil changes every 3k miles the 848 will last along time... The 7500 mile services are half of the 16k mile services the 600RR requires but then again you are only running on half the cylinders.. It is more expensive for the services and parts because everything comes from italy...

The myth that Ducati's don't last very long is... well everyone has their own idea of what very long is so I will just say that mine has surpassed everyone's expectations... The entire service dept know my bike because it is one of 2 1098's that have over 40K miles on them... the other 1098 has 45K miles...

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/superbike/848__evo_corse/tech_spec.do

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/cbr600rr/compare.aspx

·
I LOVE MY BIKE
692 Posts
when i get the cash I will be buying a ducati or BMW.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I felt like I cheated on my bike sleeping with my gf after I fist got one lol

"I swear baby we just snuggled" "she didn't mean anything to me your the only girl I'll ride. I swear"

I mean what woman can scream at 9k RPM.. Not mine ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pretty good comparision.. but some of your info is incorrect... the fuel capacity for the 848 is 4.1 gallons... if you have a 2.5 gal. tank you have the incorrect tank or have something in your tank that is killing your fuel capacity...I've gone 110 miles (2 up) on my 1098S and the gas light had not yet come on( gas light will come on with .9 gal is remaining in the tank.. I get better gas mileage on my 1098S than I do on my 600RR...44mpg vs. 42mpg.. both bikes have aftermarket filters, and slip on exhaust. no change in teeth in sprockets.

the 848 is LIGHTER than the 600RR with all fluids. The seat heights are almost the same..The 848 sits .4 higher than the 600RR..so it's not that much taller..if your battery on the 848 is dying over night you have a bad battery or something is draining your battery which isn't supposed to happen. the immobilizer can function for up to 24 hours after the bike turns off but if it's not moved it won't run for that long. The exhaust system on the 848 will make your leg and butt warm but installing a better flowing slip on will reduce the heat you feel since the hot exhaust is getting out quicker...

Yes the hydraulic clutch is heavy and will make your hand tired in stop/go traffic. The body positioning is more of a race set up and causing you to lean further forward putting more weight on your hands.

each bike is has it's pro's and con's....my 1098S is more comfortable in some areas compared to my 600RR... and vice versa... With my 1098S i have had almost no issues...When Ducati built the airbox and air filter they didn't make the 2 a tight fit and there is a gap at both ends of the filter when in the airbox. This is a known issue with all of the 848/1098/1198 bikes. This gap allowed a lot of dirt into my airbox that dropped into my front cylinder and caused it to fail... the dirt acted like sand paper and wore my cylinder down... The bike is back into the shop for a failed rod bearing....BUT when you put 50,400 miles on a '08 1098S things will start to wear and need to be replaced... It was my 100 miles a day daily driver for over 2 years in every type of weather.. As long as you do the scheduled services when they are supposed to be done and oil changes every 3k miles the 848 will last along time... The 7500 mile services are half of the 16k mile services the 600RR requires but then again you are only running on half the cylinders.. It is more expensive for the services and parts because everything comes from italy...

The myth that Ducati's don't last very long is... well everyone has their own idea of what very long is so I will just say that mine has surpassed everyone's expectations... The entire service dept know my bike because it is one of 2 1098's that have over 40K miles on them... the other 1098 has 45K miles...

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/superbike/848__evo_corse/tech_spec.do

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/cbr600rr/compare.aspx
Filled the bike twice yesterday. Once in the a.m to work 45 miles. Once in the pm after work with yellow fuel light blinking - 45 miles. Same gas station. 2.5 gallons on the meter (unless I'm having a brain fart) If it was 4.5 gallons that's REALLY pathetic.

Ducati 848 EVO 457 lbs. wet the 2008 is at 437 (if I remember correctly). Honda 600 RR 413 wet. Don't trust manufacturers. Trust independent sources.
Look here:

http://www.sportrider.com/weights_measurements/146_motorcycle_weights_measurements/honda.html

As for the body position, I race motorcycles (CCS) and am quite used to it. That said, the 848 is more uncomfortable and buzzy - until 85-87 mph. This is my experience.

An exhaust may help the heat a bit under seat, but it is a design issue. And an exhaust will not block the heat pouring out of the engine that cooks the inside of your thighs.

As for the battery issue, I've taken it to the dealer twice - they say it is a Ducati bug. As does my friend who races Ducati and OWNS a Ducati dealership. (I didn't buy from him because he didn't have the bike).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the 848 otherwise I wouldn't still have it. But the CBR is more consumer friendly.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. To red thank you that's what I needed to hear. I think I will wait. I just put 2500 into this bike I just bought 4 months ago. If I decide to keeps this kind of a toy, ill get one. Oh by the way called my insurance they wanted $1100 a year. Three times what it is now. He lied to me. Lol. The thing that scared me about it is that it was a demo bike. The only one left. But it had the exhaust, filter and remaped ecu. It does look good though! I do like my cbr. Winter is right around the corner. Thanks again

No.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks guys. To red thank you that's what I needed to hear. I think I will wait. I just put 2500 into this bike I just bought 4 months ago. If I decide to keeps this kind of a toy, ill get one. Oh by the way called my insurance they wanted $1100 a year. Three times what it is now. He lied to me. Lol. The thing that scared me about it is that it was a demo bike. The only one left. But it had the exhaust, filter and remaped ecu. It does look good though! I do like my cbr. Winter is right around the corner. Thanks again
Why would you put $2500 into your bike if you have plans to sell it and get something else?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Do what I did skip the Duc and check out the Triumph 675R you will fall in love cause I did and have not looked back since take a look at Miss18RR

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why would you put $2500 into your bike if you have plans to sell it and get something else?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Didn't plan on selling it. Lol. Just a good deal popped up on a nice bike. I have a problem with impulse buying. How do think I ended up with this bike. This kid at my work wanted one but didn't know a thing about them, so I started doing some research on them for him and I got the itch. Seen it at the dealer here n town and two days later I was bringing it home. Never rode one before, Hell I had to buy a helmet to get it home. Lol I go through hobbies pretty fast. As far putting money into it, had to be different and and make it my bike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do what I did skip the Duc and check out the Triumph 675R you will fall in love cause I did and have not looked back since take a look at Miss18RR
My lord that is a beautiful bike on your back garage wall.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I have seen those and they r very nice bikes. No one around me sells them. I do want more power than what I have. Your bike looks sexy as Hell man.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts