Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of thoughts run through your guys' head? How do you feel, what do you do, eat, drink, play, etc the day before your track day?

For me, if were camping at the track, it seems like I'm more calm and not so excited. Everything's pretty mellow for me.

If were not camping, and driving there the day of, I've noticed I'm extremely hyper, super excited, I feel amazingly ready for some reason, and I just can't wait for it. My day always goes good, and I drink tons of water and Gatorade the day before.

So, what about you guys?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Drink a lot of water, walk around all day with a chubby, can't sleep.
So pretty much just like any other day

·
Registered
233 Posts
The day before a trackday is always busy for me. Oil change, wash bike, check everything twice, pack my backpack, etc.

I can never get enough sleep that night, maybe 3 or 4 hours. Then I wake up late and have to rush. All of my trackdays have been local so I always ride my bike there the morning of. I'm usually nervous on the way there but I try to jam out on my ipod a little and relax. I'm completely calm once I get there and register though. I think it would be really cool to get there the night before and camp out, that would eliminate most of my anxiety.

I mostly worry about something happening that would make me miss it...like the one time I locked myself out of the house the morning of a trackday, or the time a leaky gas pump almost soaked my leathers on my way to the track, or the time a bee stung my left ring finger before I got my gloves on...lol. Luckily, I didn't miss any of those trackdays.:crackup:

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Useless at work usually 2 days leading up to the event.

Drink lots of water. Go through my packing list about 256274 times. Stare at my bike ALOT. Dream about my markers.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Good thread!

For me, it's getting my head back in the game. My #1 goal is to get myself to a point where I can pick up where I left off, so my progress begins quickly. As opposed to just getting back up to pace. I want to be AT PACE by at least the end of the first session. If not within a couple laps.

For me it's going back and watching videos from my last trip to this particular track. Read my notes from the last time I was there. I keep notes from each session, these are INCREDIBLY helpful getting back to pace quickly.

Then it's the hydrating and taking notes of things I need to bring. Although the last part doesn't take much effort. I bring a LOT of stuff, so my chances of forgetting anything is VERY tough! I load the weekend before. That gives me extra time to see things I might want to bring.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thread!

For me, it's getting my head back in the game. My #1 goal is to get myself to a point where I can pick up where I left off, so my progress begins quickly. As opposed to just getting back up to pace. I want to be AT PACE by at least the end of the first session. If not within a couple laps.

For me it's going back and watching videos from my last trip to this particular track. Read my notes from the last time I was there. I keep notes from each session, these are INCREDIBLY helpful getting back to pace quickly.

Then it's the hydrating and taking notes of things I need to bring. Although the last part doesn't take much effort. I bring a LOT of stuff, so my chances of forgetting anything is VERY tough! I load the weekend before. That gives me extra time to see things I might want to bring.

I was thinking of taking notes after each session, per track. But I was unsure if what to put, probably stuff like "go faster into turn 1." "Turn 3 is banked, I can carry more speed. Take it a BIT quicker." "Turn 7 is full throttle all the way through, don't be scared."

But idk lol. For now I'm just taking lap times and recording them.

What kind of notes do you take?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I was thinking of taking notes after each session, per track. But I was unsure if what to put, probably stuff like "go faster into turn 1." "Turn 3 is banked, I can carry more speed. Take it a BIT quicker." "Turn 7 is full throttle all the way through, don't be scared."

But idk lol. For now I'm just taking lap times and recording them.

What kind of notes do you take?
Well everyone approaches things differently, so you have to find what works best for you.

But for me, I write down EVERYTHING I can remember from that session. Literally everything.

I have this personal issue with the lack of emotion. An actual clinical issue... lol Because of this I have a hard time focusing on the task at hand. My mind likes to wander... I find myself looking off in the distance, what's that corner worker doing? Hey, look at the birds... LMAO!

So I write down EVERYTHING!!! How many birds were there? What was that corner worker doing?

When I read this back later I can asses how much I need to work on. If my mind is free enough to do this, then I can go MUCH faster.

EVERYTHING is relevant!!! Everything!

But, for suggestions? Start with noting things you don't know, as opposed to things you know.

Saying T-X is a full throttle exit, that's something you obviously know. How's that going to help you the next time out?

But things you DON'T know... Now that can be helpful!

"Man, I didn't like how the front felt in T-x..."
"Think I'm catching the limiter on that exit of T-x... Maybe I need to look at gearing? Or rolls speed so I can use a higher gear?"
"I had 3 feet of track left on that exit, I must be able to be more aggressive on the throttle there"
"I kept getting out-broke into T-x... Can I improve there? Was the bike stable? What was I feeling? Can I move my brake marker?"

Now afterwards you can go back and read these notes and then think through these things. Grab a track map, watch one of your videos with these questions in mind. Maybe watch some other peoples videos and see how they approach these areas. Do you see them doing or struggling with the same things? Do you have an advantage? Do they have an advantage?

I hope that makes SOME sense...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I try to prepare the bike a couple of days ahead of time. I make sure the oil is good, chain is good, etc. that way I don't forget anything. I load the bike and all my track related stuff the night before, so all I have to do is wake up, shower and hit the road. The first couple of track days were brutal, went to bed at like 1 or 2 am and I was up at like 5 am. Red bull got me through the day.

AF4iK - Which tracks do you plan on visiting this year?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'll be having my 2nd track day alone on the 27th of this month at SOW. I'll be towing my bike for the first time with my v6 accord and probably a rented trailer from uhaul. I plan on fitting a front and rear stand, tire warmers, a generator, a canopy, a set of tools, as many tools and spares as I have/need, zip ties, my transponder, all my gear, food and drinks for the day in the car. Idk how well that will work since I have 2 twelves in my trunk, but I will probably take all that stuff out.

Anything else I should bring? I've read a couple checklists here, and I usually try to use them. I'll set up everything on Friday or Saturday night to be ready to head out Sunday morning!

I guess I'll bring a notepad too to take notes of everything. This will be my 3rd time at this track. First time I was slow, it was my first track day. Second time I was improving, doing good, then crashed in the bowl. This third time I'm gonna be heavily focused on proper body positioning. I was "crossed up" as they say when I crashed. If I can fix that issue, I should be able to go A LOT faster!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I only bring like 3 things on the fluid list, and I don't have anything for the pit set up. I'll probably steal you list and simplify it a bit more. I'll take what I NEED just making sure everything is good the day prior. If you crash to the point where you're loosing oil, chances are you're done for the day no?

Idk. But I'll reference back to this when I'm prepping for the track.

·
Registered
441 Posts
JonnieR
Bring some 5 gal buckets and fill w/water or something heavy to keep your canopy from flying off into someone elses property. It gets preety windy out at SOW.
Just Saying

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JonnieR

Bring some 5 gal buckets and fill w/water or something heavy to keep your canopy from flying off into someone elses property. It gets preety windy out at SOW.

Just Saying

I will be using my generator on one side, and a 5 gal fuel jug at another end! I tried looking for you on the 29th, but you were inside your trailer! I crashed that day, but prior to crashing I wanted you to follow me around. Too bad though. :(.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bananas...eat bananas at the track. That's the only thing I didn't notice mentioned here.

The day/night before a trackday I always make sure I have a to-do list. Get all the big stuff done before then, but I leave things for me to do so I can occupy my mind and be trackday focused (by packing s*** :) ). Seriously though it helps me be prepared.

The morning of I am all nerves and excitement. It's crazy how all of that fades away the very first time we pull out of hot pit onto the track.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I will be using my generator on one side, and a 5 gal fuel jug at another end! I tried looking for you on the 29th, but you were inside your trailer! I crashed that day, but prior to crashing I wanted you to follow me around. Too bad though. :(.

Im always at Tech in the morning. Just ask. Next time for sure. SOW is not my fav. You gotta get out to Spring Mountain.
C U soon

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im always at Tech in the morning. Just ask. Next time for sure. SOW is not my fav. You gotta get out to Spring Mountain.

C U soon

Alright. I'll keep a look out. I'm not a big fan of SOW either. Spring mountain is nice, so smooth! Lol.

You'll be there this weekend I assume?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts