Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What determines a experienced rider? Is it time on the road? Or could it be the amount of crashes you've had, even better where you live and ride at? Is a experienced rider also always wearing full leathers or full type of "racing" gear that I see around? I've surfed these forums a bit hear lately trying to find out any kind of information, anywhere from what I should do to make my bike very clean sleek and easy on the eyes, even performance mods. I've also read the topics of "what to do, not to die" on a bike. Frankly fellow CBR-rians your fate has been set everytime you pull the kickstand up and fire that sweet sounding engine up! I'll stand corrected as a NOOB to riding bikes, i'll also stand corrected on the fact that i'm a SQUID from what I read throughout these forums. However, I wear a jacket, helmet, gloves, pants and my running shoes, Pearl Izumi's (hence my forum name). I read just a few minutes ago, of some fellow CBR-rian, who had a pic posted burning out in traffic and riding a wheelie<----and thats why people don't like Sport Bike riders. I disagree, that could'nt only be the only reason, if at all the reason why people don't like sport bike riders, maybe its because those of us are who are riders regardless of what type of bike you have sport bike, cruiser, chopper, etc. They don't like us because we are labled as "renegads" "trouble makers" "tatooed up A-holes" its been that way since before i'll bet 90% of us where born, lol, thats a fact! I hear a lot of complaints about fellow riders not being seen in traffic. Let me ask you this CBR-rians if your doing a wheelie do they see you then? If you burn out at a red light are people more likely to be right up on your ass or do they think your f-ing crazy and say "I should stay away from that crazy A-hole on that bike." As stated above i'm a NOOB rider, and have found myself stuck in traffic very very very nervous at first, this is what I did to break the traffic so I could get the hell on, I stood up on the pegs<----thats it! and those A-holes let out of the gas or sped ahead of me and gave me a hole to drive and I bounced the hell outta there. Simple non-risky "stunt". Cagers don't know the difference though, they just know "If he stood up on the pegs he must be getting ready to get crazy and I don't wanna be around him!" Let me throw my two cents in on what I see as "safe" if your gonna do "stunts" or top the bike out don't risk others lives even if they are a "cager" your bike doing over a hundred well not only serioulsly injure or kill you but it could possible injury if not kill the "cager". I live in bum-f*ck oklahoma there isn't anything but flat straight roads and cattle behind barbed wire, when I find a clear line of site I endanger only myself, no one else.<----Two Cents, everyone got at least two cents>.lol As a follow up on the thread I have posted here, agree or disagree, but if you disagree with me I will only agree to disagree with you! lol. Peace,

-Izuumi-

P.S. if you took the time to read and/or post Thanks.
I---ZOOM---EEE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Off topic- Where at in Ok?

·
Registered
696 Posts
IMO, an experianced rider is one who has been riding long enough to know and understand his or her limitations. As far as time wise, to me if someone has been riding for 5 years and only has 5,000 miles on the bike is not as experianced as someone that has been riding for 5 years and has 20,000 miles on the bike. I see riders post that their bikes are 2 or 3 years old with only 2000 miles on them, I dont understand how they can leave the bike parked like that. My bike was bought June of 08 and i have 5,700 miles on her.
By the way, I have been riding for 19 years

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
You dont see very many dedicated riders who put milage on their bikes
I agree with you on that. A lot of guys I talk to are like "yea, picked this thing up last July. Already got 1,000 miles on it." than they looked at me shocked when I say "are you kidding me!? That's it?"

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with you on that. A lot of guys I talk to are like "yea, picked this thing up last July. Already got 1,000 miles on it." than they looked at me shocked when I say "are you kidding me!? That's it?"

LOL, I hear you. My brother bought his busa the same month I did and he only has 2000 miles on it. I put 100 miles a day on my bike. My motto is, If it is not raining by the time I gear up Im riding. I read people cry that its too hot to ride, or to cold. IMO those type of people are not real bikers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my bike less than 3 months ago, and it's got 3000 miles on it. I ride in the hot, the cold, and the rain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy reading your replys and how you respond to a thread and everyone tears of on a tangit not completly off topic but becomes a battle between who has the most miles, and i've had my bike a month and one week and i have almost 3k miles on it<---thats experience.lol j/k

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I enjoy reading your replys and how you respond to a thread and everyone tears of on a tangit not completly off topic but becomes a battle between who has the most miles, and i've had my bike a month and one week and i have almost 3k miles on it<---thats experience.lol j/k
eh it's not a battle. Just discussing. I think we all are doing pretty well as far as mileage count goes. 3k in a month is good stuff. That's something I used to do when I first started riding too. 300+ miles in a day was no big thing to us back then.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
What determines a experienced rider? Is it time on the road? Or could it be the amount of crashes you've had, even better where you live and ride at?
To get back on topic :icon_lol:
I think it is a combination of the first two things you said and many more that make up an experienced rider. Not only those physical aspects, but it is also in your attitude towards riding that makes you experienced or inexperienced.

Is a experienced rider also always wearing full leathers or full type of "racing" gear that I see around?
Gear always helps! Road rash sucks! This also plays into the experience thing as "experienced" riders tend to have a crash or two under their belt and know how it feels to eat pavement.

I've surfed these forums a bit hear lately trying to find out any kind of information, anywhere from what I should do to make my bike very clean sleek and easy on the eyes, even performance mods. I've also read the topics of "what to do, not to die" on a bike. Frankly fellow CBR-rians your fate has been set everytime you pull the kickstand up and fire that sweet sounding engine up! I'll stand corrected as a NOOB to riding bikes, i'll also stand corrected on the fact that i'm a SQUID from what I read throughout these forums. However, I wear a jacket, helmet, gloves, pants and my running shoes, Pearl Izumi's (hence my forum name).
What you've said right here doesn't lead me to believe you're a squid. When most say "squid", they are referring to someone wearing shorts, a t-shirt, no gloves and some flip flops on their bike. Personally, I think that wearing full leathers every single time you ride is just a little bit impractical. I wear A leather jacket, leather gloves, Alpinestars boots, and a helmet every time I ride. When I'm planning to go hit the twisties hard, I throw on the leather pants as well. But given that the pants are not extremely comfortable, I find it impractical to wear them all the time and in certain situations like riding over to a friend's house etc.
The other point you made about "fate being sealed every time you turn the bike on" is true to a certain extent. There is always the possibility of crashing. That is why we wear gear; to protect ourselves from the "what if".

I read just a few minutes ago, of some fellow CBR-rian, who had a pic posted burning out in traffic and riding a wheelie<----and thats why people don't like Sport Bike riders. I disagree, that could'nt only be the only reason, if at all the reason why people don't like sport bike riders, maybe its because those of us are who are riders regardless of what type of bike you have sport bike, cruiser, chopper, etc. They don't like us because we are labled as "renegads" "trouble makers" "tatooed up A-holes" its been that way since before i'll bet 90% of us where born, lol, thats a fact!
This pre-conceived notion of bikers is true to a certain extent, yes. Mostly you hear get this misconception from those who do not ride and therefore do not understand the motorcycle world. Wheelies, burnouts, and other "stunts" are a love it or hate it thing. Some motorists think it's an awesome thing to see! Others look at it as you endangering their lives, which at times you can be by doing it. That is where some of the negative image of sport bike riders comes from IMO.

I hear a lot of complaints about fellow riders not being seen in traffic. Let me ask you this CBR-rians if your doing a wheelie do they see you then? If you burn out at a red light are people more likely to be right up on your ass or do they think your f-ing crazy and say "I should stay away from that crazy A-hole on that bike." As stated above i'm a NOOB rider, and have found myself stuck in traffic very very very nervous at first, this is what I did to break the traffic so I could get the hell on, I stood up on the pegs<----thats it! and those A-holes let out of the gas or sped ahead of me and gave me a hole to drive and I bounced the hell outta there. Simple non-risky "stunt". Cagers don't know the difference though, they just know "If he stood up on the pegs he must be getting ready to get crazy and I don't wanna be around him!" Let me throw my two cents in on what I see as "safe" if your gonna do "stunts" or top the bike out don't risk others lives even if they are a "cager" your bike doing over a hundred well not only serioulsly injure or kill you but it could possible injury if not kill the "cager". I live in bum-f*ck oklahoma there isn't anything but flat straight roads and cattle behind barbed wire, when I find a clear line of site I endanger only myself, no one else.
Now this is where I find some flawed logic in your post. If you are doing a wheelie in traffic, you are almost invisible to oncoming and intersecting traffic. All they can see is a thin, black vertical line that is very easy to miss and very hard to pick out what it is from a distance. Doing a burn-out in traffic most times will only piss others off and make them more apt to call the police or just wait and watch for you to f*ck up even more. Not to mention it makes you look like a show-off and a bit inexperienced in my opinion. Stationary burn-outs don't require skill and basically just literally burn money off for a little smoke.

All in all I think you made a good post! You took the time to explain how you feel about things and made your point pretty well. To me, it seems that you will do just fine as a rider. Just keep your head on straight and remember to play it safe, bro!
:five:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
What was the topic? Dude, you got ADD? You went from "what determines an experienced rider?", to searching for mods and "what not to do". Then you go into people stereotyping bikers.....Dude, wtf are you talking about?
I'm not the only one then? Good. I feel better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The topic posted in the thread is a combination of things that I wanted to ask those who take the time to read into the post. It was several questions to see what responses where given as a whole. I could if you would like post 10 threads but I figured I would put it all in one. Also in the fact of what I was reading is exactly what you did by keeping an ingnorant mind to the subjects at hand. I gave all readers the options to talk about "stunts" or what make an experienced rider even the gear I or others wear. So with the three posts ahead of this one clearly shows that you have tunnel vision and thats probably how you ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts