Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so instead of me asking the same question as has been asked hundreds of times before, i thought i would ask one i haven't been able to find an answer for. changing out the front sproket.... going up. is there anywhere that i can purchase a slightly larger front sproket, like a 17t. is there clerence issues? could you just take off the cover to clear(like with the GP shift mod). where can a 17t front be bought? i understand that a tooth on the front is equivilant to about 2.5 in the rear. so by this it would be like putting a 41 or 40 tooth in the rear.

why do i want to do this. well i want to go with a 15t up front for city/fun times. but when i take my longer trips i would like to drop the revs down a bit and maybe increase mpg a good bit. i could change out the front sproket from my 15t to a 17t in a lot less time than changing the rear sproket, which is mainly why i like the front sproket idea.

so has anyone done this? is it even possible? can you go bigger than 17t? does anyone know what to expect as far as MPG increase?

if the 17t front isn't even possible then please share your opinions on dropping teeth on the rear sproket instead.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
if you got another sprocket carrier you could change the rear sprocket much faster.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok, so would that mean i wouldn't have to unbolt those 6 or so bolts holding the sproket to the wheel? either way the wheel still has to come off, im trying to avoid that by just going with the front.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
right. just take off the wheel, remove the sprocket and the carrier, leave the rubber cush drive in, and stick on the new carrier. quick as hell to swap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm ill look more into that then as well. for that im sure search will help me plenty.

if anyone else has some more opinions on the front sproket change feel free to chime in. thanks

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,876 Posts
my CBR600RR came stock with 16/41 sprockets so it'll be like using a 17/43 if you compare the gear ratio, just swap out the rear to a 41T & use the 16T stock front that should lower your cruising rpm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info. but i already know about the rear sproket, does anyone have any info for me on front sprokets? i have yet to find anyone that sells a larger front sproket. do they not exsist?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
As far as the front goes, with 1 down on the front, I can barely slip the chain over it with the sprocket on. So with 1 up, I think you would have to put the sprocket in the chain then bolt it on, if it even fits.

The metal case comes out and the plastic cover just sits on top of it, so if it doesn't clear the case, you are out of luck.

Oh... and you do have to remove the shifter and the cover to change the front, if that's easier than taking off the rear tire, go for it.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,876 Posts
yup there is a 17T front sprocket for the RR in existence saw it used in a magazine for setting a landspeed record, a 600RR with NOS if remember it correctly. check back on your issues if Cycleworld to last year, the bike is an 03-04 model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.