Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the story. I decided to buy a track bike, and was cruisin on craigslist and found a wrecked trackbike. Went and looked at it, price seemed decent, and I brought it home as a winter project. Before I get too far into it, I thought i'd ask this question...when the bike starts, it will sound healthy, but 3 or so seconds into it running the fi light will come on, along with the oil light. It then runs rough and dies. The bike is a 2003 CBR 600rr. Any suggestions on where to start would be great. Nothing is blinking, it's all solid. The right side clip on broke off but you can still throttle it from it, and the gauges are messed up but all work. I figure I should make sure it runs good before I start buying major parts to fix this thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
Put the kickstand down, bike in neutral, and start the bike. Count the series of blinks on the FI light.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no kickstand. The bike is on stands, in neutral. Bike starts, and runs fine for about 5 seconds. Then the FI light comes on, followed by the MIL light. They stay solid. This tells me that it's something with the ECU. I checked the fuses, and connections to the ECU and everything looks to be ok. Is there a way to test the ECU?

BLINKS : PROBLEM, SYMPTOMS
No blinks: ECM malfunction, DNS
No blinks: ECM power / ground circuit malfunction, DNS
No blinks: ECM output line malfunction, DNS
No blinks: MIL circuit malfunction, EON
Stays lit: Data link circuit malfunction, EON

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where I got the information above :) Upon further inspection and playing around, it seems as though the bike wants to idle really low and die. If you blip the throttle and keep the revs up, it seems fine. I am gonna take the tank off tomorrow and inspect the rest of the wiring.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
If it does not idle on its own the idle needs to be adjusted the idle adjuster knob is on the left side turn it and see what happens

D

·
0 Posts
There is no kickstand. The bike is on stands, in neutral. Bike starts, and runs fine for about 5 seconds. Then the FI light comes on, followed by the MIL light. They stay solid. This tells me that it's something with the ECU. I checked the fuses, and connections to the ECU and everything looks to be ok. Is there a way to test the ECU?

BLINKS : PROBLEM, SYMPTOMS
No blinks: ECM malfunction, DNS
No blinks: ECM power / ground circuit malfunction, DNS
No blinks: ECM output line malfunction, DNS
No blinks: MIL circuit malfunction, EON
Stays lit: Data link circuit malfunction, EON
The FI light is the MIL light, so which other light are you talking about?

You're going to need to find the kickstand safety switch wires and create an open in the wires to mimic the kickstand being down, then have the bike in neutral and start it. That will get the ECU to flash the DTC on the dash.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am talking about the red MIL light on the gauge cluster, and the FI indicator on the actual display.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off let me say thank you to moeman and demented for all your help. Today I started working on the bike, and decided to replace my right clip on with the new one the previous owner supplied. As I dug into taking the airbox and everything off to get at where the throttle bodies hold the cable, I noticed that the entire throttle body assembly was loose. Got the cables off and the new ones attached, and mounted the throttle bodies solid again. Put everything back together and started it up. It ran a ton better, but still not right. I ended up opening the kickstand circuit and starting it in neutral and finally got a trouble code. It was eight blinks...TP sensor. I then proceded to pull my head out of my ass and plugged in the tp sensor. Gotta adjust the idle, and she runs great now. Thanks again!

D

·
0 Posts
If you're going to be having the kickstand circuit closed permanently again, might be worth it to wire in an on/off switch or plug so that you can easily open the circuit if needed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually plan on making the bike street legal again so I am going to get a kickstand and wire it in like stock. This was a dumped track bike and I want to make a street/track bike. I figured I'd make sure it runs good and everything before I get too far into it. I don't like "bypassing" anything.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
I am glad to read you got it running its my pleasure to help out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts