Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I just replaced my throttle cables (PITA!). Now I'm stuck with an FI light. I did the sidestand trick and ended up with two short blinks. That leads me to believe I have a MAP sensor or MAP vaccuum problem. Concur?

I'm gonna pull the airbox again to see if I can find something wrong. If I can't fix it, what's next? Has anyone had a bad MAP sensor? What is a bad MAP sensor, or a good one for that matter. What does it do?

My big manual says the engine will operate normally witha bad MAP sensor. Anyone have any experience riding with an FI light indicating a bad MAP sensor?

Thanks,

Jim Moore

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The the small hose connected to the map sensor (attached to the bottom of the airbox) is either pinched or not connected. Its a PITA to get back on. I'm sure its that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The the small hose connected to the map sensor (attached to the bottom of the airbox) is either pinched or not connected. Its a PITA to get back on. I'm sure its that.
Yeah, it's most likely the small hose on the right hand side of the air box.

I got the double short fi blink after I removed my pair system and discovered that I pinched the hose between the air box and fuel rail.

I had to lift the air box up slightly to un-kink the hose.

The pic shows how the hose is supposed to be.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
I did the same thing when I put my airbox back on after installing new throttle cables. Just lift the corner like lowblow has pictured and use whatever narrow tool you have to guide the hose back onto the nipple. Good luck

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
when mine threw the same code at around 7500 miles, I checked all the fittings and blew out the sensor with a can of air. you know the electronics duster stuff? light went away.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was it. I had the brown hose routed over the lower fuel rail instead of under it. I'm a freaking expert at pulling that air box now. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
As far as what does it do...

MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure,

FI engines will either have a MAP or MAF (Mass air flow) sensor, its job is simply to measure the amount of air going into the engine, from this the ecu then knows how much fuel it has to use.

MAP measures the vacuum in the intake manifold, which is proportional to the amount of air going into the engine

MAF measures the air going into the engine directly, usually with a 'hot wire' sensor.

The reason your engine will run without one is that the ecu also knows how much fuel the bike needs by looking at the TPS (throttle position sensor) and rpm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ugh I just got my bike back from a shop and it's doing this...

Any tips on getting to that hose other than those instructions for getting to the PAIR?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's my reply to my other thread. (I'm double posting because this is incredibly helpful for this problem)

I fixed the issue. Here's some pics and video to go with it:

Hose is off:

Here's the nipple on the bottom/back/right by the fuel rail:

Here's the hose on (but it dislodged after shifting the airbox after I was moving it around:

Here's what I did to make it work:

I had to take off the injector wires, upper 4 injector fuel line, top of airbox, pop open the front plastics of course, and bend the tank back on the hinge to do the work underneath (I used bungie chords and rope to hold it back)

Here's the failure:
Listen to the idle. It's not that great.

Here's after the hose is on:
Now the idle is much better!

Thanks to tbssowners for their help. Great forums both this site and theirs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
now the bike was running earlier and it wont start now. It primes but wont turn over...

I have all the wires connected. How can I check codes without the engine able to turn over?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
now the bike was running earlier and it wont start now. It primes but wont turn over...

I have all the wires connected. How can I check codes without the engine able to turn over?
Hold the starter in for 10-12 seconds and they will flash.

Chances are that you just bumped or missed a plug or didn't get one back in properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info here guys. I had the exact same problem.

First I checked the vacuum hose on the FPR, blows just fine.

Then I checked under the MAP, blocked. Massage the hose then blow again it was good.

After that the bike ran smoother than ever. No low idling anymore. No FI lights came up nomore.

Next I'll replace the whole hose system with new ones.

·
Super Moderator
6,496 Posts
Bumping this thread... I have the same issue happening to my bike at the moment. I'm going to take the airbox apart tonight and hopefully this will fix the issue but my question which is sort of related: Having done the pair mod, will it still throw a code?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Nope, MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure... Chances are the MAP sensor is disconnected.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts