Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a fiberglass tank for another bike of mine (not my RR) and wanted your guys opinion on a few things. As I know a fiberglass tank is going to be a lot lighter than a metal one I can see it as not being very safe. I mean I am not worried about dumping the bike but I am sure that one drop would kill it however this is the least of my worries. Also I am concerned about what gas would do to the inside of the tank over time... I mean I know it is not going to rust =] but will it eat away at the fiberglass? Also what will the sun do to the tank if anything?

Anything else I should be considering?

Bad Idea? Good??

Jason

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i thought gas ate away at the resin too.... maybe they use a special kind or obviously they coat the inside of the tank with something. but yeah, id be worried about it leaking in the event of a crash too.... opp racing has the carbon, carbon kevlar, and titanium ones that would probably be stronger but you will pay for em

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
potate311 said:
i thought gas ate away at the resin too.... maybe they use a special kind or obviously they coat the inside of the tank with something. but yeah, id be worried about it leaking in the event of a crash too.... opp racing has the carbon, carbon kevlar, and titanium ones that would probably be stronger but you will pay for em
You have to use a urethane resin to resist the gas (typically an ester resin is used which will degrade when exposed to certain solvents and UV radiation.) IMO I'd get a aluminum fuel cell but I wouldn't mess around with the fiberglass - seems sketchy - I've never even heard of them being available before. Just my $0.02.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So more or less a fiberglass tank is a bad idea, correct?

Jason

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
depends on the exhaust...if it's a D&D then you should have no problem...ask birdman he'll know the answer.

LMMFA.........................J/K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts