Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys do when it is blistering hot out and your all geared up? I need people to be honest here, have you or do you ever just cruise the town without a helmet(just shades) and a t-shirt? I find myself in the dead of summer 100degress + sometimes waiting for the sun to set to start riding. I use to ride without a helmet until one day it was a liitle cooler so i put my helmet on and while i was out i got in an accident and totaled my bike and my helmet had rash on it 360degrees from that point on i wear a helmet 24/7 . Hot do you guys fight the extreme heat?

·
Registered
238 Posts
i don't care how hot it is, i would never ride without a helmet - that would be the dumbest thing anyone could ever do..

the only thing that I did to make sure i stayed cool in the summer was buy perforated leathers (suit, boots) and made sure my helmet had a lot of vents to keep my head cool.. while I am riding I feel extremely cool .. i barely even break a sweat (only on longer rides)

but i would never recommend riding without a helmet/at least a jacket.. if someone is that worried about being comfortable than drive your car .. i know comfort is also important for bikes, but i would never sacrifice safety for comfort

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well it hasn't hit 100 here yet (but it will soon). Been mostly in the 80's lately. I've been riding in the evenings or at night. Less bugs to. My leather coat has an inner liner that can be zipped out, so I did that. I'd like to get a textile coat soon though. Helmet is a must along with pants, riding boots, and gloves.

·
Registered
194 Posts
agreed. if leather is too hot buy a nylon jacket that is armored and mesh in the areas thats most needed. I have a moto gp nylon jacket that has a waterproof liner, take that off in the summer, & the exterior is mesh, including with a hard armor in the forearms, shoulders and the back. its cool & only gets really hot in stationary positions.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here in hell(Tucson) it gets a bit warm. I drink a crap load of water. Like 300+ ounces a day when out riding. Always wear helmet, boots, gloves, and a mesh jacket. Somedays it's really bad, but how bad do you want to ride? We also try to organize rides as early in the morning as possible so that we are home before it gets too damn hot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dano said:
Here in hell(Tucson) it gets a bit warm. I drink a crap load of water. Like 300+ ounces a day when out riding. Always wear helmet, boots, gloves, and a mesh jacket. Somedays it's really bad, but how bad do you want to ride? We also try to organize rides as early in the morning as possible so that we are home before it gets too damn hot.
+1
Try to plan rides earlier or later in the day.
If it's too hot to wear your gear it's too hot to ride.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Joe Rocket Phoenix Mesh Jacket on the warmest days around town. I just bought an Alpinestars Stage perforated leather jacket for riding out of town....going a little faster then, more air moving, more protection from the leather. I am sure it will be warmer to wear than the Phoenix, but at higher speeds I want more protection! I APPRECIATE THE GOOD ADVICE FROM THIS FORUM BASED UPON WHICH I NEVER RIDE WITHOUT JACKET, HELMET, BOOTS AND GLOVES!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
When its really hot i rock the silverado and blast the a/c haha no for real i have a nylon jacket but even that sometimes is too hot so i have icon field armor vest probly wont help a damn bit if u go down but its physcological. i always wear pants i need to buy some damn knee pads so u can wear reg. pants. Ya the thing thats actually the coolest is my head got to luv arai rx 7 corsairs baby i found its even hotter on the fwy if u wear short feels like ur legs are on fire.lol luv so cal

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah the rx7 corsair is a terrific helmet for hot days. it has like 8 vents. I love mine. I also just bought a Joe rocket HRC jacket with honda logo on front and back. MAN is this thing breezy. i love it to death. I feel very comfortable in it and also has the honda logo I can piss off suki guys haha. I got the black/grey one.

http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
RickRR said:
what do you guys do when it is blistering hot out and your all geared up? I need people to be honest here, have you or do you ever just cruise the town without a helmet(just shades) and a t-shirt? I find myself in the dead of summer 100degress + sometimes waiting for the sun to set to start riding. I use to ride without a helmet until one day it was a liitle cooler so i put my helmet on and while i was out i got in an accident and totaled my bike and my helmet had rash on it 360degrees from that point on i wear a helmet 24/7 . Hot do you guys fight the extreme heat?
Drink water and sweat. Sweat's free. Skin graph surgery isn't.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When its 90 or better I usually just wear jeans, boots, t-shirt gloves, and helmet. I take my chances in town or on short runs. I never ride wheelie or stunt when I am low on the gear. I always am extra extra careful. I realize that I am taking a greater risk. But somtimes its just as big of a risk for heat exhaustion. I have pased out from the heat before. Not too fun.
If I am going out of town, or on more spirited rides I will wear the above but will add my mesh jacket with body armor inside it. It is cool enough. And it will still protect you for the most part.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
in CA we have no choice, a helmet is the law. After i went down, i vowed never to leave with out a jacket. Got me a textile jacket for summer, still a bit warm but not hot like leather. If you have ever had bad roadrash, and a jacket could have saved you pain and money, you wouldnt go with out it either. Imagine being in the ER and they have to scrape the dirt out of your arms, chest, and back while your 1st layer skin is gone!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I wear full gear and ride in 80-100 degree. Stay hydrated and cry about it all day until you get home. I got underarmour underneath, it HELPS but it's still dam hot. Just stay away from sitting still in traffic and when there's an opening ahead....take it, the breeze feels soooooooo good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This may sound crazy but I and other riders swear by it. Light wieght polypropylen thermal layer under the gear. Body Armour is nice but over-priced, you can find good quality polypro for cheap during the summer at many outlets.

Therory is as follows....... you gear up your gonna get hot, no matter what. The light polypro layer underneath wicks the moister from your skin and absorbs it providing a layer of moist material to help disipate the heat. much better cooling on the move then any other method I have tried. When it is 90+ out your still gonna get hot, just a good way to help break the overheating. Lots a water/sports drinks and take a break in the shade if you start to overheat.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If it breaks 95, I might ride without my jacket, but I never leave the driveway without a helmet. If its too hot for a helmet, I dont ride. No matter how hot it gets, Ill always wear jeans, boots, gloves, helmet, and at least a t shirt, and usually long sleeves at that, and like I said, I only leave the jacket if its over 95. Skin grafts are way more uncomfortable than being hot and sweaty while riding.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have some nike dry fit shirts that allow a lot of air through and soak up/ evaporate sweat real well.. wear one of those along with my joe rocket jacket (mesh chest/back, leather arms, shoulders, all the usual ce armor), crack the visor on your helmet, all the vents open, and try to stay away from downtown city areas with lots of stop lights.

on that note... I never leave without my helmet, jacket, gloves (Full or street), and boots... almost always riding pants, esp if I'm going to work. The main thing for me is boots... my ankles feel so freakin naked without them, having wind hit them when i have shoes on is just about the weirdest feeling I've ever had on the bike.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I always wear gear, and went riding this morning at 7:00 am and it was already 80F...
I rather deal w/the heat than not be protected.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts