Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know about the figure 8 you have to do in the MSF course. Did anyone else have problems with this and worry about dropping the bike? I've been practicing and getting better but I'm always either going outside the lines or putting a foot down. When I make the U-turn to the right my wrist gets in the way on the throttle. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier or to help other than practice? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
yeah, keep your eyes up and where you want to go. that was my biggest problem with it. and yes, that was the only part of MSF i didn't perfect... so i feel your pain.

just try to do what the instructors are saying. keep your weight on the outside peg and look where you want to go. be as steady on the clutch/throttle as you can and it'll help your balance

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If you can do the figure 8 on your 600 then you are a better man than me. I've tried it numerous times on the course we have near me... I get close to dropping it every time.

Just as a reference, it was easy on the 250 when I took the course, but I can't do it on my bike. Maybe part of it is the fear of dropping her.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
most sportbikes are not designed to be able to do the figure 8 because you have to lean it, not turn it. on the MSF you ride the 250 cruisers with better turning radius.

like my MSF coach said its better to put ur foot down than go over the line, but not both. if you feel you are gonna drop the bike, put your foot down! that's what I did. its better than going over the line or dropping ur bike completely. points are deducted the same if u put ur foot down or go over the line, but if you go over the line you mess up your line of travel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
use the rear brake not the front so you can work the throttle and not worry about multi tasking with your right hand and if your hand is getting in the way then just grab the throttle with your hand more forward..

hard to explain that last part but instead of holding the throttle with your hand in the normal position reach over more so your hand will be out of the way

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I teach MSF classes, and I can't do a figure eight on the CBR worth a ****. I think it is partly because the riding position puts so much weight on your hands that it is difficult to fine-tune the throttle and clutch adjustments. I've had the most success by going a little faster, pulling in the clutch before I get to the turn, then coasting most of the way through. Also, turn your head like the freakin' exorcist girl. No, further than that. Good.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
yeah when i took it... the instructors said it would be very difficult on my 600 as they aren't really designed for that kind of stuff... one of the instructors did the entire course on his goldwing... drug pegs the entire time...lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
I never tried it on my 600, but when I took the course I was damn skeptical about it being possible. The "serpentine ride" part is just as bad. I kept thinking they put the cones too close together when I took my course, since you could barely WALK a Super Sherpa through it, let alone a supersport.

Our instructors never admitted it would be difficult though, they were all about their own bravado.

I'm still terrible at low-speed stuff on my RR. =(

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't think I would ever try it on any sportbike, but on the bikes they have at the course, I was able to just feather the clutch the entire time and not use the throttle at all until the last turn. Just remember to look where you want to go. I cranked my head all the way around for each turn and ended up with tons of room to spare. If you're too focused on keeping it inside the box you'll end up looking at the lines and that's where the bike will go. Trust in the techniques that were taught to you and just execute.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
First you need to do a MASSIVE head turn and look with your eyes. Your head should be looking almost behind you when you initiate your turning. The more head turn you give the easier it gets.

Secondly you can counterweight the pegs. If you are making a left turn, press down with your right leg on the peg. This allows the motorcycle to stand more upright.

The box is really hard to do on a sportbike but on the MSF bikes a figure 8 can be done in less than a 20' x 20' square. Just my two cents as an MSF instructor.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention that it is possible to drive straight through the box dragging both feet and still pass the exam.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Clutch work is the key. I had no problems with it. If you feel the bike fall into the turn a bit just let out the clutch a little to get the power in there. The bike will do the rest

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Two major things I haven't been doing is turning the head far enough and putting weight on the outside peg. However I don't get the luxury of using an MSF course bike. I'm in the military and on post they don't have bikes you have to bring your own :confused1 . I know it is possible with a 600 I watched my buddy do it on his R6 a few times but I'll keep working on it. I am taking the course either right after Thanksgiving or beginning of December. I'll update everyone once I can do it on my 600. Thanks again for all the great info.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You could always just rent a scooter for the test. You may look like an idiot, but at least you would pass.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Two major things I haven't been doing is turning the head far enough and putting weight on the outside peg. However I don't get the luxury of using an MSF course bike. I'm in the military and on post they don't have bikes you have to bring your own :confused1 . I know it is possible with a 600 I watched my buddy do it on his R6 a few times but I'll keep working on it. I am taking the course either right after Thanksgiving or beginning of December. I'll update everyone once I can do it on my 600. Thanks again for all the great info.
Hey Mojo where are you stationed at??? And what service, just curious cause Im stationed in NC too. Well good luck practicing Ill be doing the same thing when I get back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts