Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you may know, I was having issues with my honda and after 2 weeks of trouble shooting the electrical issues and trying everything everyone here said to look at and try I finally admitted defeat and took it in to have my mechanic look at it... It had him stumped as well and had to call and get the electrical schematic for it.... He found that the wire harness from the yellow power block up under the fuel tank was completely melted... side that it looks like it had been happening for awhile and was not something I did...Not sure of the cause but with the amount of damage he doesn't want to try to splice a new harness from there in since there are so many wires going elsewhere... I'm waiting on pictures but Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new harness or buy one from ebay...

here is a link to the original thread

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=289408

·
Registered
573 Posts
As a mechanic, that's what I always ensure to inspect before installing a replacement harness. A component tied into the harness could have been drawing too much current, which in turn caused the harness to heat up and melt.

Then again, it could have been an internal short, a wire inside the harness grounded out maybe by a small nick in the insulation, which melted the insulation off of that single wire, then melted the insulation off of surrounding wires, thus causing more shorts. A chain reaction.

I love rebuilding harnesses as long as the connectors aren't melted, perhaps you could give rebuilding your old one a try?

Get a copy of that schematic, and check out what all components are tied into that harness.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love rebuilding harnesses as long as the connectors aren't melted, perhaps you could give rebuilding your old one a try?

Get a copy of that schematic, and check out what all components are tied into that harness.

Yeah I'm thinking of cutting back from the melted area and and splicing the new connector in if possible...I definately want that schematic or a copy of it for future reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts