Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And finally, here's the bike with the new paint on it. This was my first time working with fiberglass, bondo, painting etc. so I don't think it turned out too bad. I have learned a few lessons though so if there is a second time I have to go through the same process, IT WILL LOOK BETTER. Enough talk, here she is in all her lory :)

Thanks to AlpineJim & Tripage for their help with the ignition (see linky)

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=52341&highlight=ignition

There are still a few small things to be done. I don't advertise anyone w / o getting paid but will sport the TripageLED stickies 'cause he's a genuinely nice guy :). A Honda wing will also get slapped on (I have yet to make up my mind as to the color).

Your thoughts???

I.G.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those painting-savy, how do you get the high gloss finish? After fixing the fairings with fiberglass and bondo, I sprayed a couple of coats of paint and then two clear coats. Should I have fine sanded after each coat (400 grit or higher)? I have no intention of moving a finger until my next crash at the track :) but I'm sure that'll happen at some point so I'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
wetsanding between coats always works good for me. these are some pics about half way thru painting my race fender. put next to stock fender to compare glossiness. this was done with rattle can btw. finished product came out really glossy but i forgot to take pics.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet - then it's not too late. What grit sand paper did you use (by the way, finish looks great!) for the clear coat? Any other considerations?
I have an orbital buffer so I'll be more than happy to gloss that puppy up :).

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
nice bike buddy

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup

vizsladog44 said:
That is one CLEAN windscreen. I cant even tell its there.
Yeah, me neither. LOL

I put the screen on right after the first set of pics were taken. I'm missing some of the windscreen screws / rubber housings for them so I've got those on order. I'll follow up with "final" pics once the clear coat is sanded & polished and the wing is installed.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Looks great man!! I am diggin the red clipons. Hey, aren't those the tires I sold ya??

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tires

LDROWN said:
Looks great man!! I am diggin the red clipons. Hey, aren't those the tires I sold ya??
Yes they are! I've had bad fortune this year - two track days I went to got rained out and then I had an issue at Barber (see link to thread in original post up top). This year has really sucked as I've only been able to do eight rain soaked laps at Putnam Park on worn out Supercorsas. I've spent less than 10 minutes on the bike for about a year now, so I'm gonna be real rusty when I go back to Putnam on 23rd & 24th. I was able to run 1:22s there last year, so if I can approach that I'll be real happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts