Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
credit union.. they have better rates.. plus you can deal with the dealer as if you cash

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
It depends. If you are of the older percentage of the population and have good credit...Credit Union is the way to go. You have to have full coverage but it shouldn't be much cuz you're old and credit unions traditionally give better percentage rates especially if you great credit.
If you are younger though and don't have much credit, Honda Card is the way to go. You don't have to have full coverage, though it is a good idea if you can afford it but a lot of young people cant. Its expensive. It is a lot easier to get a motorcycle loan this way compared to credit unions too plus a better rate compared to what you most likely would get at any bank anyhow.

If you got dolla-la-la-lotsa Paper though...cash money is the actual best route. You are not beholden to any banks demands, you don't have a payment so insurance is more affordable, and its just great to know and be able to say that you own your motorcycle while others are going to still be paying o theirs for years to come

·
Registered
49 Posts
how much are you putting down? of course, a sizable down payment will save you a lot of money in the long run. also, it can eliminate the need for gap insurance, which can be pricy.

also, be prepared to get full insurance coverage. not only might your lender require it, it's a really good idea - especially on financed stuff.

so, do yourself a favor, and price out full insurance coverage now (comp + collision + liability).

one at zero MPH can total a modern sportbike - you'd be surprised how many people end up owing many thousands of dollars on bikes they can't ride anymore.

what is your credit like? be wary of low introductory offers...a lot of shops try to get you financed in a way where you have really, really low payments for a year which then explode.

i shopped around, and american honda finance (same folks who do the honda cars) turned out to have as good a rate as my local credit union (right around 8%). so i went with them. it's better than a credit card, and looks better on your credit report.

best of luck! enjoy your new bike.

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
If you are putting money down though, don't bring it up until you get it fully financed at the price you want. Dealerships love financing and for some reason or another would rather you finance the whole amount instead of putting something down...

·
Registered
359 Posts
SPUD LISTEN TO ME -
buy the bike with whatever credit you need to, get into school at least part-time and take out all the student loans you need to and cover the credit with those. you won't have any interest or payments until you're out of school, and even then the interest is 4%. +, you can consolidate the loans down and knock even more interest off of them. finally, your ass is in school, so you'll get a degree and learn somin'
that's how i do

·
Registered
941 Posts
SPUD LISTEN TO ME -
buy the bike with whatever credit you need to, get into school at least part-time and take out all the student loans you need to and cover the credit with those. you won't have any interest or payments until you're out of school, and even then the interest is 4%. +, you can consolidate the loans down and knock even more interest off of them. finally, your ass is in school, so you'll get a degree and learn somin'
that's how i do
talkin to me? Dude, I've been out of school (Virginia Tech, with a Bachelors of Science Major in Comp. Sci, and Minor in Math) for almost 4 years now. Also got a job that pays plenty... debt is a very temporary thing, and I usually pay off any loan I have within a year (except for the house of course). Thanks for the advice though ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dead Presidents

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
All depends on your credit.......Manufacturer usually offers low finance rate. Credit union is also a good way, but like I mentioned earlier.....all depends on your credit.

That student loan dude was hilarious, he obviously used the money somewhere else rather than his education!:tongue11:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Wait and save as much for a big down payment

1 - 19 of 19 Posts