Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I see alot of racers with their finger on the clutch in the turns?
Do you guys slip the clutch alot on the track, if so...please explain

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you slip the clutch while rolling on the throttle to keep it smooth, or is your finger just there for when you shift?

thanks

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
HOLY SH!T, those pics are perfect! like one of those games where you have to find the difference in 2 identical pics. the lean angle, body position, everything is a perfect match EXCEPT for the random finger

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Alex_RR said:
do you slip the clutch while rolling on the throttle to keep it smooth, or is your finger just there for when you shift?

thanks
Well, clutching while rolling on doesn't make much sense. Before I had a slipper clutch, I would, uh, slip the clutch while braking and downshifting, sure. But not while accelerating out of a corner.

I guess I can't really give an explanation, really, other than that when I'm done clutching going into the turn, sometimes I pull all 4 fingers back in, and sometimes I pull only 3. :laughing1

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
some superbike and GP riders use the clutch and/or the rear brake to get their RPMs up for exiting a corner without the front wheel coming up

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
I do the same thing; it's mainly subconcious, but I think it makes it smoother to already have your finger there for when you need it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always used 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch when shifting, does it hurt anything by doing this because the clutch can only be pulled in till it hits your other fingers instead of being flush with the grip?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I know I keep a finger on the brake and clutch subconciously from street riding when i am on the track.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alex_RR said:
I have always used 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch when shifting, does it hurt anything by doing this because the clutch can only be pulled in till it hits your other fingers instead of being flush with the grip?
It doesn't make a difference. In fact, you don't need to use the clutch at all on an upshift... but I find using the lighest of pressure makes for a smoother shift. This also works best under moderate to heavy throttle and medium (7k+) to high revs. Give it a try sometime: find a nice, quite road, get going about 40 in 2nd, then give it 50% throttle and when you get to about 8k, apply slight pressure on the gear selector and close/open the throttle (like a normal shift). Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Almost all riders who have raced 2 strokes will keep one finger on the clutch due to the way in which 2 strokes often and without warning suddenly sieze thier motors. Grabbing the clutch is the only way to allow the rear wheel to rotate and prevent a massive accident!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'm with quasi on this one. I do it subconciously when I'm braking but modulate the throttle on corner exits to control wheels spin. On the track, sometimes I cover the clutch and sometimes I don't. No rhime or reason just something I do by feel. But I always have 3 fingers covering the clutch when I'm on the streets. Old habit.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yup,i do it also......i thought it was from years of street riding and always covering my levers. I cover the Brake and Clutch levers

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
shraz said:
my fingers too short :(

anyways as long as it disengage you are fine
Right. So you can adjust the clutch slack so the lever is closer to your hand. I keep about 1" of slack which is slightly more than recommended. But like you said, as long as the clutch is engaging and disengaging completely you're fine.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I recently started pulling in the clutch a little bit on corner entry when engine braking is keeping the bike from getting settled properly, not enough to completely eliminate it but enough to smooth things out, it has the same effect as a slipper clutch but costs less lol
I don't do it all the time but sometimes and that doesn't really explain why racers do it since all the pros now have slipper clutches (except maybe privateer Honda's in supersport)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
mostly its subconcious, even with a slipper ur habits come from normal clutches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts