Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using firefox for several months now and have grown to love it. Unfortunately, my desktop PC at home has gotten screwy with it somehow. I can't remember a certain instance when it happened so I'm not sure if it's virus, adware, or whatever related but it's been messed up for a few weeks now. My main issues are when visiting the forum, where I should have icons for inserting pictures, hyperlinks, or even the post button there will be either nothing or odd pictures that shouldn't be there. Or sometimes there are display issues like the screen not sitting right and whatnot. I get these same issues on other sites as well sometimes or pictures not showing up. I've uninstalled firefox from the computer and then reinstalled, done stuff like running all my virus scans, ad-aware, dumping temp files, browser cache, and whatnot to no avail. Only thing I was still considering was doing a Windows XP reinstall but I doubt it's going to do anything either unless I have it wipe the hard drive which I prefer not to do because I'd need to back up a ton of pictures, music, videos, etc... Anyone have any ideas how to get these issues fixed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ceph said:
have you updated to 1.0.6 yet?

when was the last time you defragged your harddrive?
Yes, I've updated to the current version. My laptop that I run on the same network in my home has the same OS and most of the same files on it but doesn't have any of the issues, I can't understand that. :dontknow:

I've also done a defrag in the past week. Computer said it didn't need one but I did it anyhow hoping to fix some issues or speed things up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,229 Posts
Have you tried the site on IE again, just for sh*t's and giggles, see if it has the same issues. if so you might have to pop the XP disk in there and give her a fresh copy.

might just have to reinstall XP, do it right over the top of your current setup, just select "update" and it installs a fresh copy right over the top.

Have to do that myself at least twice a year like clockwork. think it's M$ way of keeping your liscence current and legit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ceph said:
Have you tried the site on IE again, just for sh*t's and giggles, see if it has the same issues. if so you might have to pop the XP disk in there and give her a fresh copy.

might just have to reinstall XP, do it right over the top of your current setup, just select "update" and it installs a fresh copy right over the top.

Have to do that myself at least twice a year like clockwork. think it's M$ way of keeping your liscence current and legit.
Yeah, I use the plugin on firefox that allows me to view individual pages in IE, everything works perfect in IE(damn Bill Gates).

So do you mean install XP where it doesn't delete your files and just kind of fixing errors and whatnot or do a hard install where it dumps your files, setting, etc... I was thinking that's probably going to be what it needs because my guess it some setting are screwed up that won't reset with a easy re-install function, could be wrong I guess though(keeping my fingers crossed).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,434 Posts
When is the last time you ran Spybot or Ad-aware? What other plug-ins did you install in Firefox? Adblock? I would recommend you check for spyware first and then uninstall and re-install Firefox before you re-install your OS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1millionRR said:
try menu options TOOLS >> OPTIONS >> WEB FEATURES....then check to see if LOAD IMAGES checkbox IS checked....???
Yep, still checked.

Blade-Runner said:
You could always remove the program and reinstall it.
NewRedRider said:
When is the last time you ran Spybot or Ad-aware? What other plug-ins did you install in Firefox? Adblock? I would recommend you check for spyware first and then uninstall and re-install Firefox before you re-install your OS.
I run ad-aware every other day or so at the most, only other plug-in I have is the dictionary one, no adblock. Already tried uninstalling firefox and reinstalling it....that was the first thing I tried actually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,229 Posts
GA_RR said:
Yeah, I use the plugin on firefox that allows me to view individual pages in IE, everything works perfect in IE(damn Bill Gates).

So do you mean install XP where it doesn't delete your files and just kind of fixing errors and whatnot or do a hard install where it dumps your files, setting, etc... I was thinking that's probably going to be what it needs because my guess it some setting are screwed up that won't reset with a easy re-install function, could be wrong I guess though(keeping my fingers crossed).
if it all works ok in IE, it's a Firefox issue, not your puter.

and yes, i meant the "easy install", or update, no files lost.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
This is what I would do. I would restore your computer to the time you remembered when it was working fine; however remember that anything you downloaded will be removed so I would back up those files.

Also, I don't know why people don't download the ad-ware/spyware/spam blocker from Google in addition to their anti-virus protection because that thing works great. Our IT boys do the same thing to our computers at work.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top