Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase my first bike this next week and i cant pick between a 04 Blue CBRR or 06 Orange CBRR. I like the looks of the 04 more and the price more but it doesnt have the inverted forks. The 06 is awesome looking as well and has the inverted forks but its about $2500 more than the 04... If I were to get the 06 that would be all my cash and if i got the 04 i would have that extra money to get some nice A* gear. So im really just wondering if the inverted forks are going to make that big of difference in how the bike handles? Im going to use it mostly on the street but i also want to get on the track.. What does everyone think???

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
if its ur first bike ur not going to notice ne diff between either one. ride safe and wear ur gear. oh yea take the course too

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It's not just the inverted forks thats set itself apart from the 03-04. The first generation (like any other 1st Gen) has quirks like electrical issues that was addressed more on the 05-06's. True you won't know the diff in the suspension but it might save you those headaches in why you can't run your high beams for long or why you keep going thru batteries or constant overheating type of issues. Try for the 06 or find an 05 so you still can buy gear. Good luck ;o)

·
Registered
333 Posts
buy the cheapest learn to ride and maintain, once you have some experience with maintenance and riding go for the newer bike, and the money you save buying the 03-04 you can buy gear

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea ill look around for a 06 but the 04 im looking at i can get for around $4000.. So its really hard to pass on that deal unless the 05-06 CBRR is just that much nicer all around.. Yes i will be taking a course and will always be wearing gear i have been reading way to many bad things about people not wearing gear.. What kind of problems did the 03-04 CBRR have and was it a common problem with those years?? Or is the a post with this info already, I have been reading stuff on this site for about a month now but i havent came across a thread that has talked about 03-04 problems..

·
Registered
857 Posts
buy an old beat up 1999 600 cbr f4 or something simular. the odds of 1st time
buyers dropping or wrecking their bike in the first few weeks are really high.
get a rr for your second bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
buy an old beat up 1999 600 cbr f4 or something simular. the odds of 1st time
buyers dropping or wrecking their bike in the first few weeks are really high.
get a rr for your second bike.

better yet roll like me

honda 250 rebel. bought off my bro beat up, beat it up some more, barely could roll on the freeway, looked ridiculous 6'3 200lbs on a little rebel with full gear but I learned. even a 250 ninja would work yyou can get those used for 1-3k easy turnaround and sell it after a few months for the same price, (unless you destroy it) to someone else learning then step up to a larger newer bike without taking any monetary hits.

its not if you go down its when, and how hurt are you, your bike, and worse how hurt is your pride.

gear up, ride safe take the class and when you drop it leave your helmet on, not to protect your head and neck, just to hide your face from onlookers. Works like a charm.

EDIT: NVM screw the ninja GO REBEL!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you want inverted forks, they swap right in! Pretty easy to do if you have the right tools. Most of the electrical problems deal with the regulator/rectifier overheating. Swap that out with the newer one and you're set.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I got a 04 blue myself and the only color I like better since then is the orange but that tribal $hit would have to go, blah!

Jason

·
Registered
688 Posts
i would agree with the others and say go for the 04 and save the money, not all of them had the battery issue. i have an 03 and yes i had to replace my battery but now its doing fine. as far as the suspension issue, you wont notice it anyway so i dont see the point in getting the inverted forks if you are not going to push it to that level where you are going to notice it. go for the 04, ride it and get confident with your riding ability, save money and buy gear and take msf course or what not, and if you still feel like you want inverted forks or you just dont like the 04 then sell it and get something else. you probably wont be taking much of a hit financially that way. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Go with the 04 so you'll have money for gear (and some mods later on). The electrical problem (rectifier) was on the 03 and it was fixed on the 04, so you won't have anything to worry about there. The inverted forks won't really make any difference in normal riding, especially if you're just learning. Plus, everyone knows that blue is the better color.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your best bet would be a smaller bike. Not only because its more forgiving, but because its slower you have to really work to get it to go fast and your riding skills will improve much much faster. The suzuki gs500f or kawi 500r are great/cheap beginner bikes and you will learn a lot faster on them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you considered starting out on something a little less powerful and more forgiving than a 600 supersport?
Well, I am just floored that so many of you are ok with this guy getting a 600 for his FIRST bike, with the exception of a couple of you. Hey man, I spent just over $4000 on an 07 250, sweet looking bike, GREAT STARTER bike, very sporty looking and it's very forgiving!!! I have rode in past, but it had been like 15 years, so I thought that I would start over and re learn what I had forgotten, which has turned out to be more than I thought. Play it safe man, get something smaller and start off the right way, don't risk hurting yourself or someone else, trashing a nice RR, etc!! Just my $.02

Sniper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts