Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What reccomendations do you guys have for a new rider?

I'm looking at a 600RR. I know it's probably a bad bike to start out on, but I'm not crazy either:

1) I'm looking into MSF courses now.
2) I want to learn how to handle the bike.
3) I don't care about going fast, or being crazy like I see some people doing on the road. I have more respect for my own life than they obviously do.

I know there are certain things good riders to do ensure their safety. Good road skills, knowing what to do in emergencies, etc. This is critical that I know this information, and I'm sure most if not all of this will be covered in the MSF course.

Again, I am considering getting a 600RR or simliar as my first bike. But, I'm willing to put the investment in learning the correct ways to do things first. I think with that mindset, I will have an advantage over the other typical rider who just gets a fast bike then wrecks it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Although not recommended I think it is ok. Lot's of people I know did it. Some made out better then others. I'm sure some of the people on this board did as well. Number 1 rule is respect the bike. Only ride to your ability. I've seen too many people get hurt trying to keep up with more experienced riders. Get the 600 if you want and just take it slow(I know you won't that's what I'm supposed to say). Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
583 Posts
definately take the course. i did and man did it help me out alot. the 600rr wa my first streetbike, but luckily i had my dad help me out riding so the first few months i took my bike out to empty roads to learn the feel of the bike. did this for months b4 i even thought about takin it out to the streets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm going to talk to some riders I know and see if they'll help me get started.

gixxer6: I know you're just supposed to say that... but I really will take it slow.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Although not recommended I think it is ok. Lot's of people I know did it. Some made out better then others. I'm sure some of the people on this board did as well. Number 1 rule is respect the bike.
I started out on the 600RR and Ive been fine. You just have to have 110% respect for the bike. I just hate the arrorgance of some people who think you must be blessed w/ X number or years riding experience and X number or miles ridden before you think you can ride a 600RR. You just need to take a longer learning curve and take your time on the bike. Get to know it and never think your in control of the bike more so then it is of you.

Be sure to get all the proper riding gear, lid, boots, Jacket, gloves.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What reccomendations do you guys have for a new rider?

I'm looking at a 600RR. I know it's probably a bad bike to start out on, but I'm not crazy either:

1) I'm looking into MSF courses now.
2) I want to learn how to handle the bike.
3) I don't care about going fast, or being crazy like I see some people doing on the road. I have more respect for my own life than they obviously do.

I know there are certain things good riders to do ensure their safety. Good road skills, knowing what to do in emergencies, etc. This is critical that I know this information, and I'm sure most if not all of this will be covered in the MSF course.

Again, I am considering getting a 600RR or simliar as my first bike. But, I'm willing to put the investment in learning the correct ways to do things first. I think with that mindset, I will have an advantage over the other typical rider who just gets a fast bike then wrecks it.

Thoughts?

Do you have any riding experince???? IE Dirt bike, Mopeds anything??

the only Advantage is experince over anything else.

Honestly for a first bike get somthing you would not mind to drop take MSF start riding, If you like it and feel that you could handle a faster bike then get the 600rr. Trust me they will still be around when your ready. And you most likly not lose money on a cheaper used bike when you sell to upgrade.

Other people who have done lots of dirt bike riding or street riding sure a 600rr would make a good first bike for that type of person.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I started out on the 600RR and Ive been fine. You just have to have 110% respect for the bike. I just hate the arrorgance of some people who think you must be blessed w/ X number or years riding experience and X number or miles ridden before you think you can ride a 600RR. You just need to take a longer learning curve and take your time on the bike. Get to know it and never think your in control of the bike more so then it is of you.

Be sure to get all the proper riding gear, lid, boots, Jacket, gloves.

It's not a X number of years. Heck my wife just started riding a year ago. I started her off with a 500cc Buell Blast then got the 600rr after she put a 1000 miles. She handles the bike well. I think it's wiser to be on a more forgiving and cheaper bike when learning how to ride.

·
2,862 Posts
It's not a X number of years. Heck my wife just started riding a year ago. I started her off with a 500cc Buell Blast then got the 600rr after she put a 1000 miles. She handles the bike well. I think it's wiser to be on a more forgiving and cheaper bike when learning how to ride.

Yeah I know what you mean. There is always an exception to the rule (that most people should not start on 600's) and Im not saying everyone should follow my lead but it comes down to a few factors..... Are you ok w/ dumping a brand new bike (unless you buy used) and do you trust yourself on something that can go 160MPH.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. There is always an exception to the rule (that most people should not start on 600's) and Im not saying everyone should follow my lead but it comes down to a few factors..... Are you ok w/ dumping a brand new bike (unless you buy used) and do you trust yourself on something that can go 160MPH.

Put it this way there are alot worse bikes the start off with then a 600rr it just depends on the person. Heck I want down on the Buell Blast (not my fault and I was not speeding) Gald it was not one of the two Ducatis I had at the time.:icon_lol:

Bottom line a good rule a thumb is if you have to ask on a public fourm if a 600CC SUPER BIKE is a good bike to learn how the ride on. Well might not be ready for one.

K

·
0 Posts
Since no one here has a REMOTE clue how well you carry yourself, and the statement that this is your first bike (meaning never on two wheels in your LIFE), I'm going to tell you to stay away from any Supersport motorcycle. I'll explain...

The 600RR is a SuperSport motorcycle that has 105 HP at 13,000 RPM, and it can get you there in about 2 seconds with you traveling at over 60 MPH in first gear. Almost all of them can, some even quicker. but my gripe isn't about how much power they have or how fast they can go... It's the handling, and the responsiveness of the engine COUPLED with the power delivery, the inexperience and undeveloped skill a new rider has. You have no idea how quickly these SuperSport bikes can turn on you. They ARE just as dangerous as everyone says they are in the hands of the wrong individual.

Start yourself out right. You're not even sure WHAT KIND of rider you are yet... just that you want a SuperSport down the road. that's pretty neive really. Hell, you're not even sure if Motorcycling is in your blood! Do the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Riders Course FIRST. Find out if Motorcycling is something you want for yourself. Your instructors will gauge your competence on two wheels accurately enough to give you an idea of what you're capable of. after you get a bona fide Motorcycle Endorsement, go out and find yourself a dealer willing to let you ride some used bikes around. You might find out that SuperSport ISN'T your thing, that it's too unmanageable or too uncomfortable for the type of riding you're going to embark on. maybe you'll end up wanting a dual sport, or maybe a sport touring machine... You just don't know right now. you've never been!

I'm going to suggest that if you REALLY have your heart set on a MODERN SuperSport ride (like the 600RR) that you FIRST start out on a Standard Sport bike FIRST. that will familiarize you with the dynamics of sport riding. I don't care what ANYONE says, the different classes of motorcycles ARE EACH DIFFERENT TO RIDE. You CANNOT ride a cruiser like a sportbike, and vice versa.

Start at the bottom, and work your way up. plus, if you buy a Standard Sport, it'll leave you with a TON of money to buy proper riding gear... unless, you know, you like shredding skin on pavement...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Since no one here has a REMOTE clue how well you carry yourself, and the statement that this is your first bike (meaning never on two wheels in your LIFE), I'm going to tell you to stay away from any Supersport motorcycle. I'll explain...

The 600RR is a SuperSport motorcycle that has 105 HP at 13,000 RPM, and it can get you there in about 2 seconds with you traveling at over 60 MPH in first gear. Almost all of them can, some even quicker. but my gripe isn't about how much power they have or how fast they can go... It's the handling, and the responsiveness of the engine COUPLED with the power delivery, the inexperience and undeveloped skill a new rider has. You have no idea how quickly these SuperSport bikes can turn on you. They ARE just as dangerous as everyone says they are in the hands of the wrong individual.

Start yourself out right. You're not even sure WHAT KIND of rider you are yet... just that you want a SuperSport down the road. that's pretty neive really. Hell, you're not even sure if Motorcycling is in your blood! Do the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Riders Course FIRST. Find out if Motorcycling is something you want for yourself. Your instructors will gauge your competence on two wheels accurately enough to give you an idea of what you're capable of. after you get a bona fide Motorcycle Endorsement, go out and find yourself a dealer willing to let you ride some used bikes around. You might find out that SuperSport ISN'T your thing, that it's too unmanageable or too uncomfortable for the type of riding you're going to embark on. maybe you'll end up wanting a dual sport, or maybe a sport touring machine... You just don't know right now. you've never been!

I'm going to suggest that if you REALLY have your heart set on a MODERN SuperSport ride (like the 600RR) that you FIRST start out on a Standard Sport bike FIRST. that will familiarize you with the dynamics of sport riding. I don't care what ANYONE says, the different classes of motorcycles ARE EACH DIFFERENT TO RIDE. You CANNOT ride a cruiser like a sportbike, and vice versa.

Start at the bottom, and work your way up. plus, if you buy a Standard Sport, it'll leave you with a TON of money to buy proper riding gear... unless, you know, you like shredding skin on pavement...
Great Post

·
Registered
341 Posts
ull be fine. just dont ride like an idiot.

i had a 97 gsxr 600 for my first bike and was fine.

this wast he first motororized vehicle on 2 wheels i ever road.

·
2,862 Posts
How do you know??
How do you not know? Other then my huffy I had never been on 2 wheels before and I started out on an 05 600RR and Ive been fine. Yes it was shaky at first but I am much more familiar w/ the bike then I was back in 05 and I am comfortable riding it. Im not saying that everyone should start out on a 600 and will be ok, some will be fine but some wont. But the thing is some people can do it just fine. You dont have to be touched by the hand of god before your ready to ride a supersport bike. Yes they are fast, yes they are dangerous but if you know your limits and trust yourself and respect the bike you will be ok. Maybe Im the exception to the rule but I did my research about how to ride and I was around bikes a lot when I was younger so I know what they could do even though I had not owned one yet.

For every person that can be fine starting out on a 600RR there is the same amount of people who really cant and really shouldnt so your statement of saying YOU CANT DO IT falls on deaf ears just as much as those that say YOU CAN DO IT. Its really all just up to him. I made that choice and went against the grain and Im by no means Nicky Hayden but I have been w/ out any mishaps for almost 10,000 miles now.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
How do you know??

How do you know you'll be fine the next time you ride? How do you know someone wont pull out in front of you? How do you know you wont have a heart attack while walking to your bike? See where I am going with this?

Maybe a 600RR isnt the best bike to start out on, actually I am sure it isnt. But, it is possible, and most people will probably be fine. You said yourself, the different classes of motorcycles ride totally different. So even if he learns on a 250 or something, he will one day have to totally learn the RR.

I think its a personal judgment call that people have to make. Listen to people and take their advice if you choose, but you are the one that has to live with your own decision.

Listen to knightslugger, he knows what he's talking about, but look inside yourself and figure out what you really want out of motorcycling.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i can understand how ppl are sayin not tostart on a 600rr, but only u know what u wanna do and will do. if u do start on a 600rr, just take it slow and take each time u ride as a learning experience. think about how u ride, things u could have done differently and what u can do to become a better rider. plus ALWAYS listen to riders who give u advice bout posture, gear, etc... just take ur time on the 600rr if u start on it b4 u take it out to the streets.

K

·
0 Posts
How do you know you'll be fine the next time you ride? How do you know someone wont pull out in front of you? How do you know you wont have a heart attack while walking to your bike? See where I am going with this?
Well, no not really...

Maybe a 600RR isnt the best bike to start out on, actually I am sure it isnt. But, it is possible, and most people will probably be fine. You said yourself, the different classes of motorcycles ride totally different. So even if he learns on a 250 or something, he will one day have to totally learn the RR.
You're right, and by starting on a standard sportbike, he'll have a firm grasp as to how a super sportbike (same SPORT class) will handle and how to handle one properly. Learn isn't the word i would se though. Master would be better. He's already learned the basics by riding the standard sportbike.

In my perspective (the MSF be damned on this one) you have your 4 street classes:

Scooter
Enduro
Standerd
Sport

Not a single one rides the same as the other. Each class has a sub-division. I haven't figured out how to split a scooter into sub divisions, but i'll figure it out soon enough... In the Enduro class you have Your On/Off Road bike, and you have your Super Motards. In Standard, you have your regulars like the Virago, and you have cruisers like HD and Metrics. In Sport, you have Standard and Super. Every division has something to do with the class, but separates itself from something else from the other divisions. If you aim to finish in a certain class, start with it's lowest division. That's just how i see it.

I think its a personal judgment call that people have to make. Listen to people and take their advice if you choose, but you are the one that has to live with your own decision.
Ultimately, you alone are responsible for your actions, weather voluntary or accidental.

Listen to knightslugger, he knows what he's talking about, but look inside yourself and figure out what you really want out of motorcycling.
Something i think everyone should ask themselves from time to time, not just the newbies...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts