Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my bike a little over a year ago and after having it outside for a few weeks under a cover towards the end of the season my chain got rusty and its been sitting in the garage all winter. I'm about to head over to a buddies soon to use his rearstand and get it cleaned up, just wanted to get your guys opinion on how its lookin. What cleaner do you guys recommend?

These are before pics not after..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh Jesus! That's not good. You'll probably want to go get some rust remover (I picked up some "Honda" approved rust remover.)some chain cleaner and some chain lube, should sale all of them at your local motorcycle shop. a tooth brush and a good hour or two of scrubbing. I'd also be a little worried at this point that some of the rust might have found its way into the o-rings or x-rings cant remember which ones honda uses

·
Registered
83 Posts
All Hope is not lost

Clean it good with chain lube and it should look like brand new if you do a good job.
:+1:

just take your time put it on a rear stand if you have one. Roll up your sleeves and get down and dirty with that chain. By the way when did you by your graffiti?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
How many miles are on that chain?? Make sure to look for any kinks, or links that don't seem to wand to flex very much. If any are really bad, you might need a new chain...

At least you'll have a stand to use though, that helps a LOT. I use Motorex or Motul brand road bike chain cleaners. Combined with a soft bristle toothbrush (never use a wire brush), and an hour or so of intense cleaning, you should be able to get it looking and working good. Take your time working thoroughly on each link. Wipe down with a rag frequently. Keep going and going until you're satisfied that it's clean, then go around the length of the chain one more time. Let it dry off for half an hour to let all the solvent evaporate. Then lube it. Make sure to hit the side plates, the o or X rings, and the rollers. Gently wipe off any dripping excess, then leave it to sit for half an hour again. Come back and wipe off any more excess. If you can afford to wait, leave the bike for 24 hours to let the lube really set up before you ride it. This will cut down on how much flings all over you and the bike, lol.

·
Registered
991 Posts
damn! remember what that chain looks like right now, and never let it get like that again. Like already mentioned get her cleaned up ASAP and then keep it lubed. As long as you don't have tons of seized links you should be good to go.

A

·
0 Posts
damn man!!! how many miles do you have one it? and if you let your chain get like that, what other maintenance did you neglect?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha well first off I never rode the bike when the chain was looking like this, it started to rust slightly towards the end of the season when it was outside, i stored it for he winter and havnt ridden it since, the bike has less than 2k miles on it.

and for live4ever83:
I got the graffiti about early may of last year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts