Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got out of the hospital was there for a week and a half. I was on my way to work Fri. Aug. 15 and it had just finished raining. I was making a right turn onto a feeder road here in Houston and I guess the wet brand new tires and the streaks of oil in the centers of the lanes didn't mix well. I got the bike back straight and was trying to come to a stop but the tires slid to close to the curb and I couldn't avoid clipping it with the front tire.

I was going between 15 and 20 mph when I hit the curb and it threw me off the bike (luckily into the grass). Looking like part of the olympic dive team going through the air I landed on my left wrist first, then head and did a summersalt. I had on all my gear and the helmet has a blemish or 2 on it but will come out with some scratch-x remover. Only injury was I broke my scaphoid in my left wrist and dislocated all 7 or 8 of the bones in the joint as well as some ligament damage.

Had surgery and am now in a cast back home relaxing. Not much damage to the bike. Just both fairings on the left side. Clutch plate cover on the left side needs replaced. The brake rotor on the front was scratched bad so I'll replace that and the swing arm has a minor scratch as well.

I'm glad my first and I hope last spill wasn't too bad and I listened to everyone that preaches to always wear your gear. I can't wait to get the baby looking new again and back on the road.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Glad u r still alive and wore your gear.

FYI - You're new so I'll give you a friendly heads up - You posted in the wrong section, we have a "crash boom bang" section for stories like this.

cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad our relatively ok.

Did you hit your head hard and get knocked out? Just because your helmet does not have serious damage on the outside, does not mean the foam on the inside is not crushed. That's how they are designed to work. If you were knocked out or hit pretty hard, I would seriously replace the helmet. If its an Arai, you can send it to them and have it checked out for safety.

·
Registered
924 Posts
^^^ good point, I forgot to mention to get the melon protector checked for structural damage.

F

·
0 Posts
wow! That seems like a lot of damage for only going 15-20mph. You gotta land more softly! Glad you're back home and sorry to hear you had such a fall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I thought they all went in the general discussion thats where I always read so was unaware of the crash section due to lack of looking. The paramedics took the helmet to the ER with me and said the doctors will want to inspect it. Again just a few marks from the grass and dirt. I didn't black out. I have never broke a bone before but it didn't hurt as much as I thoght it would. Felt the same as a bad sprain just a really bad burning sensation.

MODS feel free to move this to the crash section ( my appologies for not posting there to begin with)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sorry I thought they all went in the general discussion thats where I always read so was unaware of the crash section due to lack of looking."

No biggie man, just trying to help you "follow the rules."

·
Registered
923 Posts
glad you are ok man, take care now and watch out next time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just got out of the hospital was there for a week and a half. I was on my way to work Fri. Aug. 15 and it had just finished raining. I was making a right turn onto a feeder road here in Houston and I guess the wet brand new tires and the streaks of oil in the centers of the lanes didn't mix well. I got the bike back straight and was trying to come to a stop but the tires slid to close to the curb and I couldn't avoid clipping it with the front tire.

I was going between 15 and 20 mph when I hit the curb and it threw me off the bike (luckily into the grass). Looking like part of the olympic dive team going through the air I landed on my left wrist first, then head and did a summersalt. I had on all my gear and the helmet has a blemish or 2 on it but will come out with some scratch-x remover. Only injury was I broke my scaphoid in my left wrist and dislocated all 7 or 8 of the bones in the joint as well as some ligament damage.

Had surgery and am now in a cast back home relaxing. Not much damage to the bike. Just both fairings on the left side. Clutch plate cover on the left side needs replaced. The brake rotor on the front was scratched bad so I'll replace that and the swing arm has a minor scratch as well.

I'm glad my first and I hope last spill wasn't too bad and I listened to everyone that preaches to always wear your gear. I can't wait to get the baby looking new again and back on the road.
Holy cow, a week and a half in the hospital with a broken scaphoid?? Glad your ok but that sounds like a hell of a long time for just that injury!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts