Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start by saying I should've followed my gut instincts not to ride after the gym.

So here it goes. I hope on the 10 en route to cruise down the 405. Per usual traffic is a lil heavy and I'm in 2nd gear riding in the middle lane. I am in farthest to the right of the lane hugging the dotted line. The cars on the exit ramp are at a complete stop.

There is a car in front of me and I felt I had safe braking distance. The car in front of me decides to merge onto the exit ramp and comes to a halting stop. Half the car is on the exit and the other half is in my lane. I hit both breaks and BAM down I go, bikes slides under me. I get up ASAP look behind me for cars approaching. I lift up my bike, push it to the side of the road. I have some fairings rash and a rip in my jeans at the knee..

I'm still beating myself up on how I went down. maybe too much front break ( I do practice my hard stops)

·
Registered
803 Posts
First let me start by saying I should've followed my gut instincts not to ride after the gym.

So here it goes. I hope on the 10 en route to cruise down the 405. Per usual traffic is a lil heavy and I'm in 2nd gear riding in the middle lane. I am in farthest to the right of the lane hugging the dotted line. The cars on the exit ramp are at a complete stop.

There is a car in front of me and I felt I had safe braking distance. The car in front of me decides to merge onto the exit ramp and comes to a halting stop. Half the car is on the exit and the other half is in my lane. I hit both breaks and BAM down I go, bikes slides under me. I get up ASAP look behind me for cars approaching. I lift up my bike, push it to the side of the road. I have some fairings rash and a rip in my jeans at the knee..

I'm still beating myself up on how I went down. maybe too much front break ( I do practice my hard stops)
Sorry to hear.

I can understand... I usually feel drained after running miles every other morning. So I can understand the sense of fatigue. It gets really bad when I haven't eaten in some time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, you got up, you weren't too fatigued to pick the bike up, and moved out of the way quickly considering the traffic per your post. Sounds positive considering you received minimal with a few bruises to the body, ego, and the bike. When i took my first spill, i was only with two other riders. I was embarrassed... and worried more for my bike lol Looking back and being able to walk away from it with torn jeans and some rash on an arm, it could have always been worse...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fatigue wasn't the issue for me, it's a normal routine for myself to ride after the gym... I am definitely fortunate to come out with minimal damage.

For some reason my gut was telling me to just go straight home instead of riding.

My biggest motivation is to learn from this mistake. I'm still trying to understand why I low slide in the first place. Bad braking, cold tires, etccc...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sucks man, at least you're okay though. Those panic situations are really hard to control, even with tons of practice. Don't beat yourself up over it, that's why they invented ABS.

Well, you got up, you weren't too fatigued to pick the bike up, and moved out of the way quickly considering the traffic per your post.
Adrenaline is a crazy thing...I did the same after my first accident, jumped up and ran to the curb, my spine had 4 fractures at the time and it didn't even hurt.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Glad you and your bike are upright and mostly ok. Did you post on here to try and figure out what went wrong and how to maybe do it better next time? No, don't beat yourself up over it but it's not just whatevs, **** happens as others offer here. We can always learn from our mistakes and there's usually always a part we play in these things other than just wrong place, wrong time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pdubrr thanks man, I Def did post on here to get some insight from fellow riders on what I possibly did wrong.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
171 Posts
trizzle29 - Having done just about the same thing twice in my road riding history, I can definitely commiserate. There's a few things that can cause a front tire washout, and whether you can learn from the experience (other than the general lesson of ride conservatively on the road) depends on your recollection of the event. (In one of my two, I remember exactly what I did wrong; in the other it happened too quickly and I don't recall the specifics.)

Some potential causes, in order of what I see as likely: Failure to load the front tire before braking hard - this can happen if you go directly from accelerating to braking. The front tire is light on the road and the forks aren't compressed. When you hit the brake, the front just slips - think of a balloon slipping across the floor, but if you apply downward pressure it will stick. Even in emergency braking you need to roll off the throttle and apply the front brake slow enough to allow the forks to put downward pressure on the front tire.

Cold tire. Enough said.

Old tire - potential dry rot, or just having been heat cycled too many times.

Too much steering input (this is what happened to me in the crash I recall) - As I was braking, I also put unequal pressure on the bars. It's possible to brake and turn at the same time, but not by cranking on the bars. This can happen even at pretty low speeds.

Bad shocks - too light of a spring, etc. can cause essentially the same as a failure to load the front before braking.

Random crap on the road - oil, dirt, etc. Especially combined with any of the abovel...

I'm sure other people can think of more reasons, but the above might help you start to analyze what happened. Sorry about the crash, but glad you are OK and trying to learn from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kfox, thanks for the input, it happened so fast I'm not sure... I went back on the bike today, and did some laps around the block to get the jitters out......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Glad to hear you jumped back on it today. There's a lot of guys out there who put the bike up after their first wreck.

You got your first out of the way, and you survived to tell the tale. Take it easy the first few rides. You might be a little shaky, and your bike may also have some problems you might not yet be aware of. Just feel things out, test out that front brake again at lower speeds and try seeing if anything funky happens.

Best of luck to you man. Glad you're alright.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
parkerr-riding was a bit uncomfortable, it seemed like it was my first time on a bike and I was a grandma on the throttle. I did test the breaks and they seemed fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
parkerr-riding was a bit uncomfortable, it seemed like it was my first time on a bike and I was a grandma on the throttle. I did test the breaks and they seemed fine.
Keep at it. Keep riding, in moderation. Don't go on a 2 hour ride yet. Maybe go to Starbucks and back. Something small. Work your way back to where you used to be, and attempt to keep figuring out what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I was just in a wreck myself last week and have casts on 2 limbs but just as with my incident I gotta tell you it's rider error...your bike being in good condition as well as practicing panic braking are your responsibility dude, glad to hear your okay and looking for ways to learn from this to improve and avoid it happening again, but making sure your technique and physical condition as well as your bike are on point are things that need to be determined beforehand, not after.

My recommendation is trackdays as well as practicing for situations like that.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
glad you are okay, and not much damage to either you or the bike, and nice on being out there already - just take your time and take it slow, practice, practice and some more practice.

and to end on a funny note, here is a vid someone here did, which does include some of our very own members :crackup: worth a watch, will make anyone feel better :five:

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
Kali where at in socal? I'm in Santa Monica... Wow that video is hilarious, I was wondering why he had a knife in his back, funny stuff.
I'm in SFV for now but hopefully soon will be making my way down to SD. And yeah, the video is killer, and it is that much more killer once you know the people mentioned in it >:)

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Kali where at in socal? I'm in Santa Monica... Wow that video is hilarious, I was wondering why he had a knife in his back, funny stuff.
I'm in SFV for now but hopefully soon will be making my way down to SD. And yeah, the video is killer, and it is that much more killer once you know the people mentioned in it
It's an awesome video because Texans are awesome.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Glad you're OK and walked away with minimal injury.

It's a given that no matter how prepared you are, can't stop idiot cagers. I had my fair share when the dude brake check me. My fault that I was "tailgating" and didn't look for an escape route.

Did you hit the car in front of you or just a brake lockup? I may have missed your post. Hope that a**hole can sleep on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dream, I did not hit the car, the person in that car was clueless, he just kept going once the path opened up for him to get fully on the exit ramp. Other people did pull over and ask if i needed help..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good thing you're ok. Best to keep away from the right lane unless you're exiting.

For me I like to keep to the far left lane as much as possible until I need to exit. Not sure about socal with the HOV lanes and the double yellow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts