Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my first day of qutting smoking. Been doin it for 5 years. And it's really not that bad as far as cravings go or whatever. I guess it's just mind over matter. For those of you who have quit before, what were your methods? What helped?

·
Registered
857 Posts
its not the first or second day that is tough it is after the third or fourth day that willl get you back on those damm cancer sticks. let us know how long you go.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I myself quit abot 6 years ago.

I smoked for 13 years.

Quitting is the best thing Ive ever done, just did it on my own, decieded to just quit cold turkey.

It was hard for a while when I was out partying, to not have that cig in my hand.

I chewed gum to get over my addiction, Id go through a PLENTY PACK of Winter Fresh in a day for a while.

It all comes down to will power, its something you have to want to do.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot guys. The support is great.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
congrats, i am a huge advocate against smoking, I myself have never even tryed a puff of someone elses cigerette.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My girlfriend just recently quit after 3 years. She has not smoked in 4 months now. She said the hardest was being out around a lot of people that were smoking. My suggestion is to try and think back when you first started, and who you were with. Try not to put yourself in the same situations that you normally would smoke in. This should help. Holy crap I sound like Dr. Phil or something.

·
Registered
507 Posts
quit 10 days ago, I honestly dont even think about it.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
go hang around some really old people who have or are near emphasema stage. That'll do it. I used to smoke a pack a day for quite a few years. Now I just smoke occasionally if I"m having a beer. Been doing it like that now for a few years.

slapnutz said:
Today is my first day of qutting smoking. Been doin it for 5 years. And it's really not that bad as far as cravings go or whatever. I guess it's just mind over matter. For those of you who have quit before, what were your methods? What helped?

·
Registered
99 Posts
stay away from people who are smoking.... and not only that, but people who smoke in general. Like my roommate smokes, and it made it hard as hell to quit when i'd see him go outside (even though he wouldn't invite me, knowing i was quitting, it wasn't fooling anyone)

Also, i found that i practically had to give up drinking for a while too. For a long time i would make it all through the week and not even want a cigarette, but as soon as i opened the first beer of the weekend - i would smoke til Sunday)

The last thing i could tell you is that you really need to want to quit. If you're doing it to appease (i dont know how to spell that) someone else, it wont last - you need to do it for youself and your future... it's hard, but well worth it

·
Registered
99 Posts
i was just about to post a pic of a healthy lung vs. a smoker's lung - but it's just nasty - if you're thinking about quitting, do a google image search. If you're in the process of trying to quit - look at those pictures everytime you feel the cravings

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Good luck. It REALLY IS mind over matter. I said I was quitting smoking when I bought my bike/20th B-day. Got the bike, Stopped smoking cold turkey from March 2005-December 2005, up until I crashed it in Dec. Now I'm slowly working my way away from it, It's harder now. I've stopped myself from buying packs and just steal my old man's nasty ass cigs in the morning to help me stop. O yah, stay away from friends that smoke or at least when they are smoking.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i, for one, had to have a Tracheotomy after having both lungs collapsed.

It's embarassing, a hassle to clean, and i had plenty of people asking if I had developed throat cancer from smoking. In actuality, i needed it after heart surgery that irritated a nerve that runs up the area of the aorta...the nerve itself controls the left vocal chord, which became paralyzed for a while. i needed it because the left chord could flap over the right chord, and obstruct my breathing passage. so the trach was an emergency breathing passage straight to my lungs, bypassing the chords.

Unless you wanna walk around w/ a tube in your throat, which constantly coughs up mucus, blood, and other junk...i suggest u put that fukkin Cigarette down.

it's truly not worth it....

·
Registered
912 Posts
good job man. stick to your guns and quit

·
Registered
83 Posts
A friend of mine did hypnosis to quit and it worked wonders. Thing about it is you really have to believe the hypno thing will work and be real into it. Otherwise it wont. I tried it years ago and I couldnt even go under. Recently I tried to find someone to do it again and since I could not I decided to learn self hypnosis. Its good for alot of things, but most of all after you see it work, you can more easily be hynotised by someone else if you decide to let them.

It is also supposedly possible to quit via self hypnosis, however, it takes a pretty advanced use of it. Perhaps in time that may work by itself. A cool side effect is that you can learn to do it to other people along the way, much easier then yourself. I feel after less then a month of doing study, I could easily hypno my girlfriend into quitting, but then she would just drive me nuts until I quit, so better I get it down first. I did a small suggestion just to see how it would work on her and everytime before she takes a shower... she now double checks the door to see if its locked. Its flawless. I know that sounds stupid, but its a little thing I did while she was under to test in the real world, and she now does it everytime with out even realizing. She dosent even know I planted that. Obviously you could take something like this pretty far... so I dont suggest it for everyone.

Anyway, just my 2c. I guess i am lazy... or have no will power... or maybe i just dont want to quit bad enough yet (after 11 years) to struggle through it.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I wanna quit so bad but I always fail.... I have to many friends that smoke so it makes it harder. But the best way to quit is "cold turkey" mostly everyone I have talked to that quit successfully has done it that way. I can make it 2 or 3 days and then I pick one up..... its very hard, I been smoking about 17 years. I would love to be able to walk up a flight of stairs again without huffin & puffin.

I used to "enjoy" a cig. but I dont even like to smoke anymore, It's the habit that I need to break.....somehow!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts