Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been riding for several years now, 2008 cbr600rr, but for some reason I think I will always be a noob when it comes to transmissions, I dont quite understand them. Anyways today I was getting ready to drop down to first until I saw a cop ahead, hesitated, and during that hesitation I slightly pressed down on the shifter (clutch in obviously) and it chattered alot, hard to explain but i was millimeters from going into first, but then when I saw the cop i froze and the chattering happened. Like I was hovering it where the chatter was, I think it was the dog just bouncing crazily.

Then after releasing the clutch and going into either first second from neutral at about 35/40 mph or so maybe more, I was distracted by the chattering at this point. I got a loud powerful clunk. Which I've heard before but wanted to add that to the mystery.

Long story short can someone tell me that these trannys/clutches are bulletproof so I can stop being paranoid about accidentally destroying mine? Lol, everything ran perfectly normal after that. Do these things either run normally or not? How do you know if something is actually wrong? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Bulletproof...no,

You shouldn't be in N anyway...., you've got to be very deliberate when you shift out of N while moving.
Rev matching is very important if you're shifting from N to a drive gear. It's part of a skilled riders toolset.

If you're trying to shift into 1 from N at 40mph, you should have the engine rev's at about 9-10 K rpm, if you do this to an idling motor, it will cause transmission wear. Try the same thing in your manual transmission truck/car

take your time and think about how much the engine/wheel speed is, before you ask them to join up......and then rev motor to match wheel speed and select gear for rpms..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bulletproof...no,

You shouldn't be in N anyway...., you've got to be very deliberate when you shift out of N while moving.
Rev matching is very important if you're shifting from N to a drive gear. It's part of a skilled riders toolset.

If you're trying to shift into 1 from N at 40mph, you should have the engine rev's at about 9-10 K rpm, if you do this to an idling motor, it will cause transmission wear. Try the same thing in your manual transmission truck/car

take your time and think about how much the engine/wheel speed is, before you ask them to join up......and then rev motor to match wheel speed and select gear for rpms..
Copy that thank you, I do exactly that 99% of the time this was a rare weird case, hard to explain via text but initially, I was going from 2nd to 1st, dropping gears while rev matching. Then I saw the cop and hesitated in between first, that's when the chattering happened, and what led to me being in neutral unintentionally while coasting. Because I had to stop mid shift to avoid the cops attention. Then put it in second to continue, and in my mindlessness did so from an idle, assuming I shouldve rolled off to a stop somewhere at that time and started over? Anyways thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
In a case like that, You should’ve shifted up twice into third if you wanted to avoid high RPM’s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a case like that, You should’ve shifted up twice into third if you wanted to avoid high RPM’s.
Thanks!! Luckily high rpms weren't an issue just the thud of the shift is what scared me, but yes I've had to do a double shift before too lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts