Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First experience on the 600RR. Well I've logged about 2 hours of seat time on my stock '07 (pearl white/silver). A few 1st impressions: This is a FUN machine! engine is silky smooooth & build quality is 1st class! Performance and handleing is fantastic. My other bike is a '09 Triumph Bonneville T-100.. & I have a '07 Ninja 250 that my wife is learning to ride on (...which is so cool!). A few questions: I'm 5'6' & I feel like I have a lot of weight on my arms/wrists/hands after 20-30 minutes. Is it my posture on this bike, or my size (reach). I'm 51 years old & have been riding for years, but only recently have been 'bitten' by the sport bike bug! (... after riding my wife's Ninja around town) lol!. What SHOULD I know about this bike as a newbie that will help me as i get used to this bike? Thoughts???... Thanks & I'm enjoying the forum!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The strain on your hands and wrists is pretty normal. What you should try to do is use your core to keep you upright on the bike rather than resting your weight on your palms. You'll find that if you keep your legs snug on the tank you can use your back/core to hold you up. You actually shouldnt be resting your weight on the bars but after about 30 minutes of riding it's pretty hard not to.
There's not much you need to know about the bike since you have riding experience.
It's fast. It's a cop magnet. And little kids will be asking you to do a wheelie any time they pull up next to you at a stop light. Try to resist. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The discomfort is likely just you being new to the bent-over position required of the 600rr. Just squeeze the tank with your legs and focus on keeping the weight off your arms. It will soon become second nature.

There isn't really any quirks to the bike that I can think of as compared to other sportbikes. Obviously just be careful above 10k rpms until you get used to the power that delivers on in that range. Just keep the rubber on the road!

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
You use a very different set of muscles and they probably arnt strong enough to support you for long periods of time atm. with enough seat time you'll build them up and be able to maintain correct riding position for a lot longer... and your wrist will be much happier

basically the best thing i can tell you is read up on proper sport bike riding position and have fun!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Only advice I can give you is don't read about the mods people do to these bikes. It will leave you with a strong desire to empty your wallet.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Congratulation on the bike and welcome to the forum.

Coming from other non-sport bike to a sport bike, it's going to require some time to get used to. Sport bikes have an aggressive riding style and it put you in a forward position. Once you ride it enough, you'll find ways to adjust yourself to be comfortable. All I can say is relax your muscle and try not to put all the weight into your wrist. I'm glad you picked this bike and not an R6; otherwise, you're going to hate sport bike in general for its riding position.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Congrads and welcome. I'm sure you already noticed the steerability differences between an 07+ 600RR and other style bikes, also I agree, the 07+ CBR is one of the more comfortable of the 600's compared to the other options out there.

If you have good understandings of the basics of performance motorcycle riding (proper throttle control, weight distribution, braking etc.) you should be all set. Just get some good seat time and you will adapt and adjust quickly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
had the same issue with my first sport bike, my 06 cbr. my body hated me for the first 2 weeks. then i adjusted my posture and took the weight off my hands. helps a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great advice. I stay pretty physically fit (... for my age), as I'm a military guy. What's a 'stomp grip'? I'm assumming it's sticky pads for each side of the tank cover designed to help you 'grip' the tank with your legs as ya'll have advised. Which one is most popular or the best application for this bike?... any preferences?? THANKS! again & I'll get some pics up soon!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Only advice I can give you is don't read about the mods people do to these bikes. It will leave you with a strong desire to empty your wallet.
So True.................

Thanks for all the great advice. I stay pretty physically fit (... for my age), as I'm a military guy. What's a 'stomp grip'? I'm assumming it's sticky pads for each side of the tank cover designed to help you 'grip' the tank with your legs as ya'll have advised. Which one is most popular or the best application for this bike?... any preferences?? THANKS! again & I'll get some pics up soon!
Welcome to the dot net! Personaly I have no prefrence on stomp pads. I Purchased mine from ebay for like $50 and have zero complaints.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
noticed you said you have weight on the arms, you want to try to get out of that habbit.

i noticed that the tank drip pads really helped me grip the tank and hold my self up with the legs and core instead of the arms.

51 and new to sport bikes, thats awesome IMO. good for you. cool your wife is learning too, riding together is much fun, much more fun than having her on the back ya know.

so congratz, and enjoy, ride safe.

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
Or just be smart enough to know that it's better to learn how to ride the damn thing rather than trying to make it pretty or build a nice forum signature.

If you're serious about learning how to ride then here are some suggestions.

* Get fit - core training and spin classes
* Take safety riding courses
* Get your ass to the track with a (very) good organization

Mods will do nothing to help you at this point, and the bike makes more power than you will ever need. Enjoy it, buy proper gear and ride safe.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Try to put your weight on your legs and not on your arms, that might mean you have to change your posture on the bike, but it will be the right posture.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Or just be smart enough to know that it's better to learn how to ride the damn thing rather than trying to make it pretty or build a nice forum signature.

If you're serious about learning how to ride then here are some suggestions.

* Get fit - core training and spin classes
* Take safety riding courses
* Get your ass to the track with a (very) good organization

Mods will do nothing to help you at this point, and the bike makes more power than you will ever need. Enjoy it, buy proper gear and ride safe.
Right now I am a street rider primarily so I can't help but wanting to make the bike look pretty!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts