Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ive put 13000 km on two bikes in a year, while the wife has maybe done 700km on a 250 in the same time.

were planning a our first ride, just the two of us, on friday the 21st. she is nervous, i am excited.

any advise from those who went through same with their spouses please. should we stop regularly? how can she signal me if she needs to stop or are in trouble?

how far is too far for an inexperienced rider on a singel trip. do i take highways or avoid them. do i go twisties or hightway.

thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
well she doesnt need to signal you to stop, you guys need to keep an eye on each other, if you see her stop then the smart thing for you to do is to stop as well, i mean unless ur planning on going fast and leaving her in your dust, then I guess the only way she can signal you is by giving u a call.

just take it easy and enjoy the ride, check for oil, tire pressure, radiator fluid etc. before leaving, and ride in full gear.

Also dont forget your camera/goPro

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no gopro. probably camera yes. attgat yes. ninja was just serviced this monday. cbr in daily use.

im not so much concerned about pulling over,than i am about her indicating she needs a rest stop at the next suitable venue

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
have her lead ?? then she can just pull over and rest whenever she needs to. Or you can do what my buddy and i use, and use hand signals when you go on rides. point at gas cap when need gas, point off the road when one of us needs to stop, etc.... just work out with your wife beforehand on what your signals are going to be.

you got 9 days before your trip, so get out and ride. practice trying to communicate through signals and what not. if your able to that is

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ask yourself how long can you ride being lead by 250 without falling asleep and heres ur answer for the length of trip. If you need to take more than an hour of highway riding before getting anywhere - i would wait until she gets bigger cc bike. I did trips w/group when i was riding 250 and also was a sweeper for a group with noob on 250. Either are very frustrating for the 250 rider and for the group and honestly unfair for either. Oh and yeah - if only two of you - she leads- you are the sweeper.
I say before she gets bigger cc bike - take short trips hour long, work on skills and hand signals, agree on stops in advance if you loose each other on the traffic light. It still can be fun but keep it short and sweet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
grab some radios & helmet headsets, they don't have to be expensive, ours were £60 for 2 radios & 2 headsets. cobra MT600 radios if you want to google them.

when we go out we try & do mostly twisties because lets face it, long runs on highways are a$$ numbingly boring. on the twisties I go at my own pace, she goes her own pace, if she drops back then I'll let her catch up on the straights, the whole time being in radio contact so she can tell me she wants to stop whenever she wants & we can have a laugh.

take breaks often & give her lots of encouragement, my gf used to hate riding with me when she started riding because she thought she was ruining the ride for me, but I constantly told her she was doing well & she soon learned to stop worrying & just enjoy it. now she can't wait to go out long rides, even with her bad back (car crash)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I recently discovered my girl didn't like going riding with me. Not because she didn't have a blast because she did. But because she feels that she's keeping me from having fun. When in reality I'm having more fun than if I were solo just because she's out there with me. This is all on dirt bikes but it applies just the same. Hopefully next year she will be ready to move to the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently discovered my girl didn't like going riding with me. Not because she didn't have a blast because she did. But because she feels that she's keeping me from having fun. When in reality I'm having more fun than if I were solo just because she's out there with me. This is all on dirt bikes but it applies just the same. Hopefully next year she will be ready to move to the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
*facepalm*
For the longest, I thought you said you recently divorced. I had to re-read like 5 times because I was so confused. :retard:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ask yourself how long can you ride being lead by 250 without falling asleep and heres ur answer for the length of trip. If you need to take more than an hour of highway riding before getting anywhere - i would wait until she gets bigger cc bike. I did trips w/group when i was riding 250 and also was a sweeper for a group with noob on 250. Either are very frustrating for the 250 rider and for the group and honestly unfair for either. Oh and yeah - if only two of you - she leads- you are the sweeper.
I say before she gets bigger cc bike - take short trips hour long, work on skills and hand signals, agree on stops in advance if you loose each other on the traffic light. It still can be fun but keep it short and sweet.
the route im planning to take is about an hour, at speeds varying between 50 and 60 mph, so the 250 should be able to keep up. the one thing i know is that even with a bigger bike, and i mean you can put her on a hyabusa, she will stick to a safe speed, so she is a boring rider, not the bike.

i'll sweep, thanks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
don't tell her she's a boring rider, her speed will increase as her confidence does. are track days an option for you both? my gfs confidence & speed increased a lot after her 1st track day

like I said just encourage her, maybe she feels she can't handle the bike at higher speeds, cornering a bike at 60mph is scary for someone with little confidence, lean angles feel amplified & they feel like they are about to drop it, so they compensate by sitting high on the bike, which just causes more problems.

get the "twist of the wrist" books or dvds for her to look at, if she can understand the fundamentals of riding she won't feel the need to be as cautious, just telling my gf that a bike will balance itself once is moving & its usually rider error that causes a drop was a shock to her

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don't tell her she's a boring rider, her speed will increase as her confidence does. are track days an option for you both? my gfs confidence & speed increased a lot after her 1st track day

like I said just encourage her, maybe she feels she can't handle the bike at higher speeds, cornering a bike at 60mph is scary for someone with little confidence, lean angles feel amplified & they feel like they are about to drop it, so they compensate by sitting high on the bike, which just causes more problems.

get the "twist of the wrist" books or dvds for her to look at, if she can understand the fundamentals of riding she won't feel the need to be as cautious, just telling my gf that a bike will balance itself once is moving & its usually rider error that causes a drop was a shock to her

hope this helps
track days are an unlikely option . we have tracks in the area but convincing her and finding time will be difficult.

she did some research and reading. watched some training videos. ideally i want her to do intermediate riding course, but i first need her to gain some confidence in order to get her to do the course.

the further she has ridden is 6 miles to work and 6 miles back, easy town stuff

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
in that case then a nice ride out in some twisties will do her good, once she gets into some corners & starts throwing the bike around she should hopefully start to enjoy it. commuting to work & back can shake up an inexperienced rider because of all the idiots on the road, she might feel that biking just isn't worth all the risk, get her out on the open road where she can enjoy the ride & the bike & build her confidence & skill levels

good luck mate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts