Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a ride and scrapped my right peg for the first time. i felt so leaned over that anymore and my right elbow would be scrapping the pavement. now i know why all you guys spend all the money for the track days...cant compare anything to scrapping a peg then ripping it out of a corner. such an awesome feeling, and now my side walls are finally getting some use.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Sorry to bust ur bubble but scraping pegs is not all that good. Those feelers are there for a reason, to let you know you are at the lean limit of the bike. any more lean and you will crash. Hang off more and drag ur knee pucks instead.

I used to drag my boots and pegs all the time, it scared the heck out of me.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sorry to bust ur bubble but scraping pegs is not all that good. Those feelers are there for a reason, to let you know you are at the lean limit of the bike. any more lean and you will crash. Hang off more and drag ur knee pucks instead.

I used to drag my boots and pegs all the time, it scared the heck out of me.
yeah i dragged peg once...right before i crash. but hey tribal if draggin peg is an indication that your at the lean angle limit of the bike/tires then why do people get higher rearsets?

·
Registered
640 Posts
yeah i dragged peg once...right before i crash. but hey tribal if draggin peg is an indication that your at the lean angle limit of the bike/tires then why do people get higher rearsets?
Well, dragging pegs on stock tyres, stock suspension usually means you are near the limit of lean on the bike.

But, people with aftermarket rearsets are almost invariably track riders who have better tyres and suspension than OEM. This increases available lean angle. Also, the skill of the rider is a major factor in this...

·
Registered
770 Posts
ok so i run Pirelli DC3s with stock suspension. scraping pegs is pushin it to the max? because pegs hit before my knee touches. maybe im not hanging off enough. but then again im only 5'8

·
Registered
283 Posts
im 5'8" and i touch knee way before peg. if i hit my peg its not a good thing. read up and get some instruction on body position before you scrape your elbow and arm and helmet and paint and frame slider and.... well you get the point.

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
Hang off more. Take your peg feelers off. Scraping stuff is not a good thing.

If you don't have your sag set correctly you could scrape hard parts a lot sooner too. On the street, this is definitely leaning too much.

the outside edge of my boot usually scrapes a lot. another reason for higher rearsets is to keep your feet up out of the way too, specially if you have fairly wide feet.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hang off more. Take your peg feelers off. Scraping stuff is not a good thing.

If you don't have your sag set correctly you could scrape hard parts a lot sooner too. On the street, this is definitely leaning too much.

the outside edge of my boot usually scrapes a lot. another reason for higher rearsets is to keep your feet up out of the way too, specially if you have fairly wide feet.
ur boot scrapes but not ur pegs?...both of mine scrape

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow, i give you guys a lot of credit for peg scraping. I still have a huge chicken strip! I really need to do a track day!:fiddy:
Me too bro, me too

:beer:

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Let us know when you start scraping a bunch of skin off your body. Get off the bike more so you don't have to lean the bike as much. The only people that should be scraping peg and doing it right are GP riders and their bikes grip harder than anything our bikes could ever dream of. And I doubt you were close enough to be dragging elbow unless you were close to falling off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ok so i run Pirelli DC3s with stock suspension. scraping pegs is pushin it to the max? because pegs hit before my knee touches. maybe im not hanging off enough. but then again im only 5'8
Yeah man, you're a lowside waiting to happen

DEFINITELY hang off more

Dont take corners with the intention of touching something on the ground (whether it be a knee, a peg, etc) Take corners with the intention of getting through them as quickly as possible (given that you're on the TRACK)

Hanging off is the key

You want to hang off to get as much mass as possible to the inside of the corner. This helps you're turning radius and overall, helps you get through the corner a stable as possible

By leaning off, you're bike is more upright and thus the tire has a bigger contact patch on the pavement and thus, you are more stable

BUT, when leaning off, make sure you're doing it correctly.

Dont rotate you're body around the tank to get your knee out as far out as possible. This kind of goes back to what I said previously about just trying to touch your knee. When you lean to one direction, make sure your WHOLE body, upper and lower, is leaned to that direction. Your mirrors (given that you have them), when leaning, put your head right around where the mirror is. Many people will hang their body off and keep their head over the center of the bike, they are making things alot harder for themselves

Play around when you ride, you'll be surprised. Try, when in a turn, just hanging your head to the inside of the corner and feel what it does. And when riding, slowly progress and hang off a little more each time

You'll find that when just practicing proper riding position and cornering techniques, you'll start dragging knee unintentionally and your lap times will show the difference as well

·
Registered
222 Posts
Look at how close his peg is to touching the ground but at the same time, his knee is dragging

Look how he is hanging off and HOW MUCH he is hanging off as well as his head position

Proper riding position:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oh yeah

Get a suit dude (if you dont already have one)

Im sitting here right now typing with road rash on my hands because I was stupid and went down with no gloves. Trust me, having rash SUCKS!!! ESPECIALLY the first week or so of it and the initial cleaning of it

I CANT IMAGINE having it all over my body or just my legs for that matter. (like what would happen lowsiding at speed in jeans)

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Look at how close his peg is to touching the ground but at the same time, his knee is dragging

Look how he is hanging off and HOW MUCH he is hanging off as well as his head position

Proper riding position:

Actually, I wouldn't say this is proper riding technique.

1) He has his foot on the side of the peg. One bump and his foot's on the ground and so is he.
2) Proper head position? He's not even looking through the turn.
3) Talk about getting a suit... This guy's suit doesn't even look like it fits.
4) Looks like he's just trying to get a knee down to get his knee down. He doesn't even have to do what he's doing.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts