Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K guys here is the deal,

I live in Victoria Canada and have had my bike in the garage covered for about 4 months. I have the fuel stabilizer in it and have not started it at all in that time. I was told by the dealer to fill the tank, put in the stabilizer and go for a 10 mile ride to make sure it was all through the system then put it away and TRY to forget about it for the winter. Now the thing is I am wondering if I need to get the oil changed right away or if it is gonna be ok till the next service. The guy at the shop says I should get it done but I wonder if he is just trying to hose me for the service charge. Seeing how i just had it changed 300 miles before I put it away.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Condensation can build up in the engine after such a long time between running. It isn`t that big a deal to do an oil and filter on it compared to the problems that can result from having water in the oil. Its also been sitting long enough to allow the oil that normally stays up in areas of the engine to run back to the sump. When you do the oil and filter, crank the bike over with the kill switch set to off to allow the new oil to get back up into the head without actually running the engine. I`ve seen plenty of engines that dont get run often enough to burn off the condensation that occurs, they wind up with a milky sludge inside that can be hard to flush out. This can happen from repeated condensation buildup, not just from one time. Dont think that you wasted that new oil either, if you have to store the bike for that long, better to store it with fresh oil in it. There are compounds that build up in oil as a result of combustion, these compounds can be harmful to engine internals over extended periods of time. Thats one reason for the "3 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first" recommended intervals. Its also very easy to do your own oil change, the biggest part is removing the lower fairing, and thats no big deal. That way your not running the old oil from storage through the engine. Dont think your bike is stranded in your garage though, its repeated condension buildup that is the biggest problem. I dont winterize my bike at all, just run it once a week til the rad fan cycles 3 or 4 times to keep condension away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts