Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we FINALLY got a couple of decent days of weather here in Omaha. 64* out today. I hated that I had class after work but I still got the new Buell out of the garage and put a few miles on it. To make this a little bit about my RR... The battery on the Buell was dead yesterday so I took the RR out for a spin after work! I STILL LOVE the RR too, and I WILL NOT be getting rid of either of them any time soon.

Anyways, here is a little about the experience: :cruising:

I put about 35 miles on it today. I wanted to ride it around more but I always just want to get home after I have class and chill with the gf a bit.

First off, I almost got hit by an idiot in a car that was coming into a left turn lane. I was turning right onto the street he was coming down and I went to the interior lane of the two northbound lanes. He starts turning into the turn lane and almost comes all the way into my lane as I'm just straightening the bike out. I had to swerve a bit but nothing too bad. Lots of choice words were flowing out of my helmet though. :cursin:

Anyways onto the ride. It's definitely different! First, I thought I was just going to hop on this thing and it was going to be "SIMILAR" to riding my RR. I knew it was going to be a different ride but I figured I would be totally comfortable on it like I am when I throw my leg over my Honda. YEAH...not so much! This thing is a 100% completely different kind of freak.

I LOVE IT THOUGH! I like the contrast between the two A LOT! I love riding my RR but riding the Buell is a completely different feeling. I get off my Honda and I feel great. I feel like I had a good ride and the bike felt good and I am completely happy. It goes real fast and has a great sound too, but I sit down on or get off the Buell and I feel like I just want to completely break the law and start some ****!

The biggest difference in the feelings I get between the two is that the Buell feels much more primitive. The shifter feels more primitive, there is no heat gauge, all analog gauges, the width of the seat between your legs...things like that. The Honda feels much more refined and sophisticated and the Buell feels more raw and unsophisticated. Like it doesn't give a damn what you think about it. It's just a bad ass and if you want to ride it you are just going to have to deal with it.

It feels a little heavier than the Honda. I don't know if it actually is or if it is because the center of gravity is different on them so I'm not used to holding onto the Buell like I am the Honda. Mainly when I was backing it into my garage holding onto it from the side. It also feels a bit heavier than the XB9R I test rode which I'm sure it is a little. It even feels like a completely different bike from the XB9R I thought...

Regardless, I LOVE THIS BIKE and I am completely happy with my purchase. To close, I'll say I got plenty of looks! When I was putting it back in the garage when I got home a guy in the apartment complex next to me (sits right in front of my garage) was in his dark living room, got up from his TV show and stood leaning against his window sill, until I walked into my apartment, just staring. LULZ I chuckled pretty good! :crackup:

·
Registered
785 Posts
nice. i love the look of the buell's (without the front nose cowl)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice. i love the look of the buell's (without the front nose cowl)

If I had my truck paid off already I would have picked up one of those too! When I get it paid off toward the end of the year I might try to pick one up. :drunk:A used one because I doubt there will be any new ones left by then. I just love motorcycles...I want them all!

I like the 9R/12R better but I do like those a lot too!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Post a pic

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Buells are interesting. I really enjoy the radial disc braking system, though it took a while to get use to it. The seating position also took some time getting use to, as it feels like you are sitting right over the front wheel.

My favs out of the line was the 1125R. That bike has power in every gear and when setup correctly, is absolutely fantastic in the corners. I really enjoyed pushing the limit on that one during testing. Really disappointed me with Harley's move, I honestly believed Buell was finally going to make some breakthroughs in the next few years. The 1125R was such a great start, so disappointed.

The XB's were always a blast to take out too. I just preferred the Lightning and the 1125R.

So many features on the Buells, such a shame.

Enjoy your Buell.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!

My buddy purchased an XB12 last season, only to turn around and sell it by September. Like you said, the bike is a ton of fun(raw torque!), but he couldn't get over the awkward weight distribution and lack of comparative refinement. After dropping it a couple times, he decided to ditch it and pick up an R6.

·
Registered
448 Posts
that sounds great. Im fine with my 600rr. i dont need to go ne faster. i did get to ride the new fireblade the other day. Even it was much different to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buells are interesting. I really enjoy the radial disc braking system, though it took a while to get use to it. The seating position also took some time getting use to, as it feels like you are sitting right over the front wheel.

My favs out of the line was the 1125R. That bike has power in every gear and when setup correctly, is absolutely fantastic in the corners. I really enjoyed pushing the limit on that one during testing. Really disappointed me with Harley's move, I honestly believed Buell was finally going to make some breakthroughs in the next few years. The 1125R was such a great start, so disappointed.

The XB's were always a blast to take out too. I just preferred the Lightning and the 1125R.

So many features on the Buells, such a shame.

Enjoy your Buell.

Peace,

Gabe
Everything I read about Harley and Buell now just pisses me off. There is still talk about a bike they had ready for production at the end of this year or sometime in 2011.

I don't know how true any of it is, but he has supposedly commented on that picture said that was a full working bike and that they were ready to launch it in the near future. Hopefully someone else will get involved with them and they can move further than Harley was ever willing to let them get. Supposedly there is a no compete clause or something in their contract with Harley for X amount of years after they shut them down so that could put limits on how long we could see another new bike from him...again all just hear say so I don't know how true all that is.

Plus, he is still making race bikes. So, that still gives me hope that we'll see more Buells in the future. Especially since it's known that Harley wasn't on board with supporting Buell in racing and that is where Erik Buell wanted to go to get Buell out there more and grow the brand.
New 1190RR race bike. Looks like a race version of that yellow bike up there to me:

These are some good reads from Cycle World online: 2/3 parts
Erik Buell Unplugged and Uncut Pt. 1
Erik Buell Unplugged and Uncut, Part 2: The Death of Buell Motorcycles

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Well there is only so much that I can say without getting sued, so I really can't go into details.

However, there are only 2 locations where we tested. One of those locations allows for testing outside of the facility and pictures are constantly being taken of bikes and prototypes, that is Talladega.

Harley Davidson had no choice to close shop at the GM Desert Proving Grounds because GM sold the land to a real estate developer. (Bet they are regretting the purchase of that land now...lol)

I had no idea that they were closing Talladega though. Harley followed GM into Yuma, AZ.

It was a hell of an experience. The only other place I could be a test rider would've been at Kawasaki, though I don't want to live in SoCal anymore and it didn't pay well either. Besides, I love AZ...lol.

I am hoping once the economy turns around, someone picks up Buells company again. Like I said, they had great things lined up and I was impressed. Some things I didn't like, other things I was drooling over.

It's a shame what they did to MV Agusta too!

I have no idea how they are going to attract the younger crowd now with all the competition from yamaha w/ star and victory. They are facing the battle of attrition.

Younger crowd is into sportbikes. If they are interested in cruisers, the price of Harley's kills most of that interest. Especially coming from a sportbike background.

As long as Willie G is calling the shots, nothing with that company is going to change.

A real shame...

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
No, lol... I was curious when that might come up though.

It's a screen name I've had for a very long time, just coincidental.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, lol... I was curious when that might come up though.

It's a screen name I've had for a very long time, just coincidental.

Peace,

Gabe
Cool. Curious b/c I wanted to give them some props.

For anyone that is curious about the CTEK battery tenders I used one on the 600RR all through the winter. Wednesday went out took it off put it on the Buell and the Honda fired right up without even thinking about it. Let the Buell sit over night on it and she fired right up the next morning as well!

to the CTEK 3300 battery tender if anyone was thinking about buying one. Going to get another one so the buell has its own over the next winter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey stephen... congrats on the purchase... i'm very interested in buell, how is the ergo compared to the 600rr? and how tall are you? i'm 6" and i think anything smaller than my 05rr would be painful to live with.

can you post a pic of the buell next to the RR?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey stephen... congrats on the purchase... i'm very interested in buell, how is the ergo compared to the 600rr? and how tall are you? i'm 6" and i think anything smaller than my 05rr would be painful to live with.

can you post a pic of the buell next to the RR?
Well I didn't get a ton of time in seat and I only rode the RR for about the same distance the other day so I can't compare yet. Whenever this weather finally decides to let up and the streets are a little cleaner I want to take them both out and just ride all day. I'll ride them both and can give better comparison.

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 200 lbs. From what I can tell, from the short rides Thursday, is that the seat feels wider between your legs on the Buell. Which I'm sure it is seeing how there is a rear cylinder of a V-twin sitting under you there. But it felt like my inner thighs were rubbing on the sides of the seat a lot more. It was a little annoying but not so much that it is uncomfortable or anything, and it only feels different at a stop with both feet down. When I was riding it felt pretty much the same between the legs. The bike also feels like it sits a little higher. It could just be because the seat feels a little wider and that my legs are spread just a little bit more and that is what is making it seem higher. Regardless I think I will eventually lower it some I've seen a 9R lowered one of my Buell forums and it looks sick!

As far as riding position and what not. I was just so excited to finally take it for a spin (because I bought at the beginning of February and I JUST NOW got to take it for a ride because of the weather) that I wasn't even paying too much attention to the difference in the riding position. I was comfortable though. I don't think it is any better/worse than the RR. Like I said the biggest difference I seemed to notice was that the Buell just feels so unrefined and raw which really matches the torque, sound, feeling of the bike and the RR just feels so sophisticated and perfect. The contrast is great though! Its not like the Buell just had junk thrown on it to make it run and it was all put in a crappy frame and bolted together. It just feels more unkempt, like they were more concerned with making a perfect handling bike versus making you feel like you are $100k car with leather seats and all the amenities. Again it just matches the style of bike you are riding. It is more of a naked bike (Besides the 1125R the XB12 has the most body work on it but to me it still has a bit of a street fighter look to it) it looks like it just wants to beat up on anything that comes near it. :banger:

Whenever this weather clears I am going to get my girlfriend's brother to ride one of mine downtown, with me on the other, and get some good shots of them both together. (Old Market/Downtown Omaha is very picturesque) I know he will want to ride them both. He has been in love with my RR since I bought it and is really jealous that I bought another bike already. LOL he rides a GSX-R 600...can't remember what year.

BTW here is the gear I'm going to be getting to go with the Buell:

Shoei X-Twelve Glory 2 TC-2:

Shift Diablo Jacket:

Still trying to decide on gloves. Suggestions would be welcome this! :shakehand

Love the Buell. Eventually a 2nd bike for me would be a Buell or Triumph.
I saw a Daytona 675 at the World of Wheels auto show here in Omaha last weekend and I was in love! I haven't ridden one or seen one around here and heard one, but that would be a very pleasing addition to the stable I think!

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is a sexy bike. Haven't seen that color set up around here. Salute to Buell, I hope somebody picks that business up.

Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
193 Posts
for the buell.... i'd suggest alpine alloy gloves... or alpine s-1

from your description of the bike it sounds like it is exactly what i'd hope it to be.

its like comparing a farrari (600rr) to a viper (buell). am i close? and real Harley's would be like 67 mustangs... lol.

ever since i had the chance to ride my friend's RC51 ( 90 degree L-twin, not 45 degree v-twin like buell) i've been wanting something more brute and tourquey to cruise with and save my rr for the track...

i didin't want a ducati monster cas the only one i like is s4r and they dont make it anymore, and i dont want to spend that kind of money on maintenance and don't like the sound of dry clutch..

also... i know a couple mid-life crisis rich snobs that have the 696 just to polish its chains in the garage, so everytime i see one i think of them.

cant wait for you pix bro...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Ya, maintenance wise the Buell is pretty impressive. The belt is super effecient and I didn't notice much difference when compared to a chain.

I love the V-twins, they are so much fun and full of grunt. When comparing 1125 to Duc 1098, you have more aggressive seating position in the Duc. Though when it comes to maintenance, you love the Buell far more than the Duc, especially if replacement parts are special order items.

Have a friend who had a 748 for the longest time, sold it for a 600RR. Maintenance was #1 reason

To OP:

That gear is sick. Great combo w/ the XB. :thumbup:

Peace,

Gabe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts