Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I just got my plate today and decided to take a short trip. I was a very cautious of everything around me. I mean EVERYTHING. It was fun though.

I just wanted some advice. I have the correct riding position down when going straight. What is the proper way to be sitting and leaning on the bike when turning? Turns and braking are the two biggest things I'm worried about right now. Other than that I'm just taking it as slowly as possible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You should probably take a beginner motorcycle safety course and then take an advanced one with your bike. I'm going to guess that it is hard to explain the proper way to position yourself. People recommend to watch twist of the wrist DVD. Just be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Im still new, so i probaby shouldnt be giving advice. Well, about proper form.

But, to learn and read up on counter steering.

Also, think about picking up a copy of Twist Of The Wrist. Its definately a good read for beginners.

My local barnes and nobles had it for i think $30ish.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you haven't done so, take the MSF course. They'll teach you proper basic control better than anyone here through exercises and practice.

What they'll tell you is to turn, all you have to do is push on the handlebar in the direction you want to go. Turn left -> use left arm to push left side of handlebar. You don't need to be leaning off the bike at street speeds.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Im still new, so i probaby shouldnt be giving advice. Well, about proper form.

But, to learn and read up on counter steering.

Also, think about picking up a copy of Twist Of The Wrist. Its definately a good read for beginners.

My local barnes and nobles had it for i think $30ish.
Do you really have to read up on counter steering? It's what you intuitively do on anything with two wheels once your going like 10-15 mph.

MSF is a good suggestion if you are unfamiliar with riding motorcycles. "A twist of the wrist" is a great resource to checkout but it might be more applicable once you are comfortable riding around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't done so, take the MSF course. They'll teach you proper basic control better than anyone here through exercises and practice.

What they'll tell you is to turn, all you have to do is push on the handlebar in the direction you want to go. Turn left -> use left arm to push left side of handlebar. You don't need to be leaning off the bike at street speeds.
What I did was slow down to a comftorable speed. Pushed on the left bar to go left. Steady on the throttle all the way through. Kept my head looking ahead. Then gradually got on the throttle to come out.

I'm not going through major sharp turns or anything right now. But I was wondering if I needed to slide over on the seat any, or tilt my body to a certain degree. I will be taking the MSF course soon. I just need to save up some money because the bike broke the bank.

·
Registered
351 Posts
:+1: on taking a MSF course if you havent done so already. other than that the most you could do is keep on riding, get as much experience as you could till it becomes more natural to you.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Do you really have to read up on counter steering? It's what you intuitively do on anything with two wheels once your going like 10-15 mph.

MSF is a good suggestion if you are unfamiliar with riding motorcycles. "A twist of the wrist" is a great resource to checkout but it might be more applicable once you are comfortable riding around.
No offense to you OP, you dont seem like an idiot :)

But failingbomb, im sure you do realise there are some less the adequate people on bikes.

If someone is new to the whole bike scene, they may wonder why if you push left you go left.

I knew it worked like that when i got my street bike, but i didnt know why or how.

When i say read up on it, i mean know what it is and how it steers the bike.

You should know that there are some people in this world lacking that intuituon you speak of.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
As Demented stated way long time ago, counter steering is not needed on the street

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
You guys take things way to seriously if you thought that was foreal

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO!!! that's one of the most important things for steering things with two wheels... be smooth on the breaks or throttle, slow in fast out... yadea yada... basically it just takes practice, practice and practice... if you can find a big open parking lot and map out some turns of varying size and slowly go faster and lean more as you become more comfortable...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
As everyone said take the MSF course if you haven't. Make sure you have all your gear each time you ride.

Try not to put the weight on the handle bars, but carry your weight on your legs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts