Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've been a dirtbike rider for about 5 years and have taken the msf course and am looking to get into street riding. I've narrowed it down to a used triumph street triple r or a used cbr600rr. The triumph seems like the perfect bike for me (great ergos, torquey street motor, the ability to go to the track, not to sound like a duc rider but they also seem to have a more soul and uniqueness than any of the jap bikes) but they are expensive and hard to find compared to the jap bikes. The 600rr seems to have okay ergos and a fairly tourquey motor with a tooth down on the front sprocket and is much cheaper. Do you guys think the 600rr is suitable for me or should I save up to get the st3r? I will be doing mostly city riding with a little highway riding as well with a couple track days here and there. I would go for the daytona 675 but from sitting on one they seem really uncomfortable. I have been looking at 2007 and 2008 models for the cbrs, is there much of a difference or is the 08 alot better of a bike? Also is the cbr a comfortable ride and is it suitable to city riding? If you have other suggestions besides these two bikes please say. Sorry kinda alot of questions for one post. Thanks for the help and looking forward to hearing from the experts.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hey everyone I've been a dirtbike rider for about 5 years and have taken the msf course and am looking to get into street riding. I've narrowed it down to a used triumph street triple r or a used cbr600rr. The triumph seems like the perfect bike for me (great ergos, torquey street motor, the ability to go to the track, not to sound like a duc rider but they also seem to have a more soul and uniqueness than any of the jap bikes) but they are expensive and hard to find compared to the jap bikes. The 600rr seems to have okay ergos and a fairly tourquey motor with a tooth down on the front sprocket and is much cheaper. Do you guys think the 600rr is suitable for me or should I save up to get the st3r? I will be doing mostly city riding with a little highway riding as well with a couple track days here and there. I would go for the daytona 675 but from sitting on one they seem really uncomfortable. I have been looking at 2007 and 2008 models for the cbrs, is there much of a difference or is the 08 alot better of a bike? Also is the cbr a comfortable ride and is it suitable to city riding? If you have other suggestions besides these two bikes please say. Sorry kinda alot of questions for one post. Thanks for the help and looking forward to hearing from the experts.
Neither.

From what I read, you sound like the perfect candidate for a SuperMoto. Maybe a DR-Z400SM or something similar. If most of your riding is city, occasional hwy and occasional trackday, it might just be me... though a SM sounds perfect.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
It's a racebike with lights and mirrors. It's uncomfortable and it's a crappy city bike. It's also not a great choice for a first street bike. If I were you I'd look at an SV-650. Cheap, fun, fast, reliable. Get a used one and ride it for a year. Sell it for the same amount, then buy a CBR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, supermoto is good advice and I went down that road a little while ago ultimately deciding against that style because I want something different than my dirtbikes (which I will be keeping) and I'd like to have something that can handle occasional 300 mile trips. The sv is also a possibility but I've been hearing the difference between the street and sv is night and day so I think I'd rather just save up for the triumph if I were going the naked bike route.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks for the input, supermoto is good advice and I went down that road a little while ago ultimately deciding against that style because I want something different than my dirtbikes (which I will be keeping) and I'd like to have something that can handle occasional 300 mile trips. The sv is also a possibility but I've been hearing the difference between the street and sv is night and day so I think I'd rather just save up for the triumph if I were going the naked bike route.
I did the same thing man, rode dirt for years and even did a bit of moto x. Around here these guys will tell you that even though you rode dirt and have lots of experience you wont be able to "handle" a 600rr. Personally I think its a load of crap, treating dirt bikers like newbs. I say go for the CBR and I would recommend the '07 because it is the same as any of the newer CBR's (even a little better than an '09) yet it will be the cheapest. Its a great bike to transition on, I rode the SV before hand and I was bored to tears within minutes. The main difference is that instead of having a sh** load of torque in the bottom end its all up top on these bikes. No its not the ideal city bike but Im sure you will get out in the twisties here and there and the CBR has some of the best ergos out of the other bikes in this category.

Here comes the fun part, Im about to get flamed

·
Registered
115 Posts
+1 on the supermoto, those things are great for the city.

If not a supermoto, something more city friendly as far as BP.. Something like the Yamaha FZ1, or the Kawasaki Z1000. I know there is a Fz6.. not sure if Honda has something similar.

These will be track demons and great for commuting as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I have gotten some great advice thanks guys. Are the cbrs really that bad for city riding even with the sprockets changed for more low end torque? I always heard they were pretty comfortable at least as far as superbikes go. haha

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Wow, I have gotten some great advice thanks guys. Are the cbrs really that bad for city riding even with the sprockets changed for more low end torque? I always heard they were pretty comfortable at least as far as superbikes go. haha
At freeway/hwy speeds you get a cushion of air that helps/assist your mid section and lower body while riding. In the city, you don't get that air cushion. So a more upright riding position is ideal for city riding. A standard type seating position.

So FZ-1 or 6, SV's, SuperMotos are more ideal and enjoyable if you are riding in the city more often than not.

Doesn't have anything to do with torque or power. It's all about ergos...

*Just found this...lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At freeway/hwy speeds you get a cushion of air that helps/assist your mid section and lower body while riding. In the city, you don't get that air cushion. So a more upright riding position is ideal for city riding. A standard type seating position.

So FZ-1 or 6, SV's, SuperMotos are more ideal and enjoyable if you are riding in the city more often than not.

Doesn't have anything to do with torque or power. It's all about ergos...

*Just found this...lol

haha great video the street triple (speed triples little brother) defiantly was comfy when I sat on one. I personally think hondas are nicer than the gsxrs and would take a honda cbr over one any day. The ducs are really nice looking but I don't think I could afford the maintenance lol.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
haha great video the street triple (speed triples little brother) defiantly was comfy when I sat on one. I personally think hondas are nicer than the gsxrs and would take a honda cbr over one any day. The ducs are really nice looking but I don't think I could afford the maintenance lol.
I think you are missing the point of the video..lol. Ergos... not the manufacturers or styling, just ergos. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well you don't buy a Cbr or any Jap sport bike for comfort. But the only thing thats really bad for me is the seat. mine as well be sitting on a folded up shoebox. But the Cbr will not disappoint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you are missing the point of the video..lol. Ergos... not the manufacturers or styling, just ergos. Good luck with your decision.

Haha I know, I get the point ergos on sportbikes suck. That is the main reason I was considering a street triple over a cbr, ergos for comfortable city riding.

·
Registered
331 Posts
you can also make a cbr fairly comfy for fairly cheap.. grips, gel seat, even some different handlebars could give u just enough comfort without losing the supurb-ness that is CBR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha, ya good idea about the seat and bars switch. But hey I'm pretty young and in fairly good shape I should be able to handle the ergos over relatively short distances.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Well you don't buy a Cbr or any Jap sport bike for comfort. But the only thing thats really bad for me is the seat. mine as well be sitting on a folded up shoebox. But the Cbr will not disappoint.
It takes me hours of riding before my ass starts to hurt. I make sure to relieve pressure from my hands while going down the highway, or at a stoplight. I'll speed up, pull in the clutch and coast while flexing my right hand, of course riding left hand on thigh, or left forearm across tank works wonders too. The left arm across tank is great because you can wedge your hand under your right arm, and help relieve pressure, and at the same time give your inner thighs, and lower back a chance to relax. Downside? You may scuff your tank... who cares...... My bike could look like a rusted piece of ****, so long as it rides like new I'm happy as hell....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts