Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So believe it or not, today was the first time I've ever been pulled over, car or bike. So here's the story:

I met my friend at the local park for a run, and she wanted to see the bike, so I rode there. At the park, we went for a quick ride, just on the park roads. I came to a 4 way stop with a cop coming up on my right. I proceeded straight and he made a right behind me. As I was going I saw my other friend running, so I pulled over and was going to wait for the cop to pass and say hi to my friend. The cop, however, pulled over behind me and turned on his lights. I quickly turned the bike off, and took off my helmet, but stayed where I was (like I think you're supposed to). After a little while, I looked back to see what the heck he was doing and he just motioned with his finger that I should come over to his SUV. So my friend gets off, and then I get off and go talk to him. Here's what was said starting with me:

"Sir?"
"What are you doing?"
"...umm taking my friend for a ride."
"Why are you stopped?"
"I wanted to say hi to my friend running (pointed to the guy now way up the road)"
"This is a highway, you can't just stop on it like a parking lot"
"This is a highway?"
"What did you think it was?"
"...just a road."
"Well it's a highway and you can't just stop here. You look like you don't know how to ride. Do you have your license?"
"Yes, sir."
"Permit?"
"No, sir, my license."
"When does your registration expire?" (random)
"November"
"Well you sure look like you don't know how to ride"
"I'm still getting used to having a passenger, so I thought it was a good idea to stay on the park roads to start out."

He then proceeds to get out of the SUV, without another word, and goes and stares down my bike all over. Then,

"Where's your inspection sticker?"

I point it out to him (it's bright yellow and clearly visible on my bike).

"Well you can't stop like that, and you should learn how to ride"

Goes back to his car and drives away.

Now, my rant. WTF?? Having a bit of a power trip are we, statie? First of all, doesn't a state police officer have anything better to do than drive through a park in the middle of a weekday? I saw him a few minutes later just sitting in his SUV in the shade doing nothing. Second, isn't it the intelligent thing to do to practice riding 2 up on quiet park roads where the speed limit is 25 and there is hardly any traffic? Third, what the heck made him think I can't ride and think that he can insult me about it? I don't have vast experience on a motorcycle (license for 1.5 yrs), but I do have vast experience on 2 wheels as a cyclist, and I definitely know how to ride. Also not sure how he made that judgement from watching me go straight at a stop sign, and then pull over. Fourth, since when are you not allowed to pull over??? The park roads have pretty much zero traffic, and there's plenty of room to go around if there were. He took up 3x as much room by stopping behind me. And finally, since when is a park road with no centerline at all, and a speed limit of 25 considered a highway??

Long story short, I got no ticket or anything, and he didn't even ask for any of my papers. He sure was looking for something to throw the book at me for, however, and he looked my bike over almost as well as the inspection mechanic! This type of interaction concerns me. As a law abiding citizen, I should be pleased and comforted when I see a police officer, since I have no intention of breaking laws. However, when sh*t like this happens, it makes me angry that I have no recourse and cannot defend myself from rude accusations for fear of his authority. I didn't think at the time to get his badge number, but in retrospect I really wish I had. What do you guys think? Am I just being touchy here or am I justified in being pissed?

Brings this to mind: "Who will guard the guards themselves?" -Juvenal from Satires

-Dave

P.S. If you actually read all that I don't know whether to be thankful or sorry that you have nothing better to do, but at least it was cathartic to write it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah that sucks, he was just jealous and trying to break your balls... From your description IDK how he could call that road a highway. I have a state park I ride with my friends and we stop and pull over all the time to take pictures of our bikes by the lakes, never got hassled by police.. like your road it has minimal traffic, but the speed limit is 40mph and i'm standing in the middle of the road taking pictures with the bikes pulled over on a 3ft wide shoulder..

Yeah don't let that douche get to you, there's many out there and sorry to say but it probably won't be the last time you get pulled over for riding a sport bike.. cops in my area tend to hate on us but for the most part as soon as I start talking to them, they usually take it easy and let me go.. [knock on wood!]

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Cops have a prejudice against motorcycles. They also think that speeding causes accidents and death to quote cops from TV shows (You're lucky you didn't kill anyone!) when no accident happened. Uhm, last time I checked you can die at 5 mph. In fact, I almost did.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
well, in reguards to the first part ... "doesn't a state police officer have anything better to do than drive through a park in the middle of a weekday" perhaps thats what hes there for, its his assignment ...

in reguards to the "just sitting there, doing nothing" ... do you know he wasnt doing paper work? do you know hes not assigned to post up at the park to help curtail drug presence?

reguarding the power trip ... you can thank your ******* riding brothers who think that public roads are their playground on the bike, for that one...

other than that, good job at being proper and legit and not loosing your cool with the cop.

·
Registered
444 Posts
well, in reguards to the first part ... "doesn't a state police officer have anything better to do than drive through a park in the middle of a weekday" perhaps thats what hes there for, its his assignment ...

in reguards to the "just sitting there, doing nothing" ... do you know he wasnt doing paper work? do you know hes not assigned to post up at the park to help curtail drug presence?

reguarding the power trip ... you can thank your ******* riding brothers who think that public roads are their playground on the bike, for that one...

other than that, good job at being proper and legit and not loosing your cool with the cop.
umm do you happen be part of any law enforcement??

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I guess that's a good point, I have no way of knowing if he was doing paperwork or if he was assigned there or what, but this park is in quite a nice area, and I can safely say drug presence isn't an issue. Also, the fact that he didn't even want to get out of his AC'd SUV to come up to me after pulling me over and instead had me approach his vehicle (pretty sure that's not SOP) makes me think he was just being lazy in the heat. Do staties even have jurisdiction in a park? Isn't that what park rangers and township police are for?

To the other riders giving us a bad name, I can't really argue that, and it's human nature for cops to then put those assumptions on everyone, but it still doesn't make it right.

It blows to suck it up and not get angry or defensive, but I bet I at least frustrated him by staying calm and my bike being completely legal. (thank you military for teaching me to just shut up and take it/follow the rules)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
nope

im a Server administrator / program developer / computer tech for my company, and my company is not related to law enforcement

i just suspect cops don't just "randomly" sit around, just like you and I, they are employed, and thus monitored as to what they are doing, unless its a super small precinct there is probably tracking gps installed on the officers vehicle, and he wouldn't be able to get away with it

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah i believe state police has full jurisdiction within it's state lines and i guess the park too.. unless it's a national park then it would be federal gov't responsibility, idk, i could be wrong but it makes sense in my head.. lol

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts

no he is just an A$$!!!!

hahahahha

good show Irish,

and well bro, here in the bay area that is typical, they talk all the S&% they want cause you say anything they can take you in, its what they are hoping for, you did good bro,

dont let the petty comments, or his lack of intellect get to you, just know he is just a cop, nothing more, a ticket writing secretary for the magistrate,

good luck out there, and thanks again for your help!!!!

hopefully they stay off you,

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
sorry that happened to you

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
well I would believe that it may be a "state highway" (there is a difference between a highway and a freeway) but it sounds like the guy just wanted to be a di*k. He may have just been in a bad mood an wanted to share idk.

I would be pissed too if I was treated like that

btw u didnt get pulled over... u were already pulled over :crackup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support guys.

To clarify, I usually have no problem with cops, and I don't really mean this to be a cop bashing thread at all. I'm sure their situation is a lot like sportbike riders: a few bad ones get the publicity and ruin the reputation of the majority who do their job well. It just sucks that they get backed up by the law. It makes it quite difficult to stick up for the right thing. I so wish I had gotten his badge #...

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,287 Posts
what a

good thing you didn't get any citations - as we're all aware they can always be doucheee that way and give it out for somethin... :retard: He is KING you know...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I definitely feel you on this one. I've actually had a similar experience with a bored cop but im too lazy to type the whole thing out. I think you played it right. Be respectful, comply, then bitch about it on here. Dont try and be smart with them and if you can catch their name or remember their badge number go ahead but dont outright ask them for it if you arent going to get a ticket, it will just give them incentive to play hardball with you. It sucks I know, but thats reality.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
So you didn't get a ticket and you're bitching? Go give the other guys here that post the top speed threads, and the stunting in public threads a big hug and thank them for the way you got treated. Not getting a ticket is a big win, getting harassed is due to how your riding brothers treat the public.

There are 2 sides to every story, somewhere in the middle is the truth.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you didn't get a ticket and you're bitching? Go give the other guys here that post the top speed threads, and the stunting in public threads a big hug and thank them for the way you got treated. Not getting a ticket is a big win, getting harassed is due to how your riding brothers treat the public.

Bitching for getting borderline harassed (with no ticket) when I didn't do anything wrong makes a lot more sense to me than bitching for getting a ticket for doing something I shouldn't have...

Yes, the reputation of sportbike riders sucks for those of us who aren't stupid.

I'd love to hear his side of the story, so at least I could get some ideas as to why I looked like I needed to be pulled over.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,287 Posts
yeah, there is 2 sides to the story - but there wasn't anything crazy about Irish and his - so just seems like 5.0 was a big douche... that was his, before nap time, i will fvck with someone to feel better about myself and have nice and wet dreams...:crackup:

·
Registered
345 Posts

Waw really :tool:

You definately got harassed, that sucks. I wish I could feel safe when I see a cop but unfortunately this has happened to me many times too. Just like bikers, most cops give a bad rep for the rare good respectable ones.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.