Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my friend Melissa for a ride a few weeks ago. Bike feels different, either that or I just feel different knowing I got someone else to seriously worry about. Anyone got any pointers they could shoot my way to make everything optimal when riding with a passenger?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Do a search, theres tons of threads on riding with a passenger. If I remember correctly people posted a bunch of great links that she should read along with articles for riders. :bounce:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks for the heads up man

·
Registered
98 Posts
Scared the **** out of me the first time I rode 2 up. Just take it easy, and remember it takes longer to stop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Time....takes lots of time for your passenger to get used to how you move or how you want them to move. Once you get a feel for each other you barely notice they are there (minus the stopping distance and acceleration).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Have them hold the strap with one hand and you with the other. Ground themselves with their feet on the pegs not with their arms wah-raped around your back. Have them look over your left shoulder when you're turning left and right shoulder when turning right. Brace themselves with their free hand on your side around the kidneys. Use that hand to brace themselves on the gas tank when you stop. Sit up straight.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hot Rod said:
I took my friend Melissa for a ride a few weeks ago. Bike feels different, either that or I just feel different knowing I got someone else to seriously worry about. Anyone got any pointers they could shoot my way to make everything optimal when riding with a passenger?
Use the car...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Turn your rear preload up a couple clicks. I've had a 100lb girl bottom out my suspension on a speed bump at low speed with a rear preload of 4.

Explain to them the basics BEFORE you start riding. Tell her that when you make a left hand turn, she should be looking over your left hand shoulder. Same goes for right turns with your right shoulder. The first instinct most passengers have is to always look at the road, so when you lean right, they want to try to lean left so they can see around you. This will obviously affect your turn. If they lean with you, all is good.

Have her put both her hands on the gas tank. Get a tank protector because it helps protect the tank from scratches and it gives them something to put their hands on.

That should make it a little easier to ride 2-up. The most important thing is COMMUNICATION. If you're about to go fast, tell her so she can hold onto you so she doesn't fall off the back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I explained the basics as some others have mentioned in other threads that I searched. I sent her a few pointers and what not. I dunno if it was just me or what, but I just didn't 'feel' it on the bike. I was SUPER cautious around turns. She shifted once in a turn and I could feel the back tire give. I immediately stopped at the nearest place possible and told her "don't do that again." I didn't even think about changing preload settings, definitely do that next time. Speaking of which, I weigh about 200lbs should I do anything with my suspension for me just riding solo?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hot Rod said:
Yeah, I explained the basics as some others have mentioned in other threads that I searched. I sent her a few pointers and what not. I dunno if it was just me or what, but I just didn't 'feel' it on the bike. I was SUPER cautious around turns. She shifted once in a turn and I could feel the back tire give. I immediately stopped at the nearest place possible and told her "don't do that again." I didn't even think about changing preload settings, definitely do that next time. Speaking of which, I weigh about 200lbs should I do anything with my suspension for me just riding solo?
Get your suspension set up or mess around with it on your own after you have a gasp on how everything works. I usually set my preload 1 click up in the back when I take the girl out (120 pounds), and it's like no one's on my bike through turns. It just sounds like you and your girl need some seat time and an understanding of what your suspension should be at with her. It'll all come with time, just be careful getting there (sounds like you are).

Oh, PS.
Don't shift in turns ;-)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
if you have her leaning with you, make sure it's start to finish. best bet it to tell her to look over your shoulder, in the direction your turning.

You must tell her, if she realizes she not leaning, mid-turn is not a good time to start. Best bet is to just have her look over your shoulder, won't upset the bikes balance. just take it easy, you will each get used to the way each other rides. ride safe bro.

oh yeah, and be ready to get head-butted when you shift, it sucks, but it's funny. funnier it your watching your buddies girl, head-butt him.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hands on your waist, that way she knows what YOU are doing. Hands on the tank only on extreme braking. She should look over your inside shoulder in turns. That insures she is leaning WITH you and not against. Normal braking, she can squeeze her legs around your thighs. Tell her to enjoy herself but try and remain somewhat still. If she has to move, let you know.
Now for you. Don't show her how fast you can ride or how far you can lean. That will upset her and then YOU. Be extra smooth and allow extra time for EVERYTHING. More than one click on the preload if you bother to do it. Your tires won't slide out, you have extra weight on them = extra traction. I regularly watch the TPM club president take streetbikes out with the riders girl on the back and drag his knee on street tires :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hot Rod said:
YES you definitely should. Check out my website (in sig) and see the Suspension link.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts