Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any advice for a 61 year old fat man doing his first track day this saturday at MSRH Houston...
I have been riding for 47 years but never been on a track, so I signed up with ridesmart to learn how to properly play with the new 600rr..
so any of you guys got any advice for my first track day?
Things to do...
Things not to do....
advice can be about riding.. prepertation...what to take, what to leave at home...whose ass to kiss and who to kick in the butt...what ever crosses your mind...
but if you have not had the experience, read with me, do not comment.. I can speculate enough on my own...

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
For first timers, stay hydrated, stay loose and have fun. Its a whole new experience on the track but before you pick up skills like body position and holding your lines just get comfortable and have fun. Guys that take it too serious at first usually have a short day.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Rule #1 for a first timer is to ride at your own pace. Don't worry about being too slow if guys are flying by you and don't go faster than you're comfortable with. The first time someone fly's by you they'll likely scare the crap outta you, but you get used to it quick.

·
SRO
367 Posts
Rule #1 for a first timer is to ride at your own pace. Don't worry about being too slow if guys are flying by you and don't go faster than you're comfortable with. The first time someone fly's by you will likely scare the crap outta you, but you get used to it quick.
^This. Exactly right. Ride your own ride. Speed will come later.

Congrats BTW on deciding to do a track day. You won't regret it!:banger:

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Listen to the control riders. You will learn so much in one day. Just take your time and it will come.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,287 Posts
don't forget your key, many have...

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
everything has been said already but i'll give my 2cents anyway, get your suspension tuned for your weight, that alone makes a huge difference, depending on what tires you have set the pressures for track use which is lower than manufacturer recommendations for street riding.

get some heat into the tires as soon as possible, just weaving the bike left to right doesn't put heat into the tires, accelerating hard puts heat in the rear tire & braking hard puts heat into the front tire. i have seen newbies crash their bikes on their first lap out on the track because of cold tires, by running too slow they did not create enough heat into the tires to make them stick.

make sure nobody is following you too closely & do the hard acceleration-hard braking method to quickly heat up the tires, have fun out there & stay hydrated.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
Look for me in the morning, I'll be there when the gates open. My bike and trailer will be there the night before but I'm sleeping in an air conditioned hotel.

RideSmart is a great organization, you'll be fine. It's going to rock.!

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
It was great meeting you yesterday, even though it got HOT in the afternoon. Looking forward to hearing what you thought about the track and especially about RideSmart.

·
Registered
615 Posts
:+1: ...................

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a blast!!! It was great meeting folks... everyone was friendly and helpful... but it was one hot SOB .. the heat really got to me...I had to quit at 3, did not make it until 5.. the heat was affecting my thought process... the last session I rode, I found myself not really knowing where I was at... not thinking lines or position.. just looking for the X's.. so I figured it was time to quit....
RideSmart did a good job, well thought out and well put together...I wished the instructor student ratio had been a little better, but I understand that they had a couple of instructors who did not show up and that hampered things a bit...
I am going to do it again... as soon as it cools off...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Awsome that you had fun. RideSmart does a pretty good job of running a smooth day but if they were short on instructors (which is really rare) it probably made it a bit hard to get as much feedback.

Don't feel bad about not riding in every session. In this heat the last session is a ghost town because everyone is trashed by then. Heck even on nice days a lot of guys call it a day before the last session.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts