Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wat's going on everyone? So this AM I finished my first track day at NJMP thunder and im totally hooked!!! Had an amazing time and cant wait till the next time I can get back out there. In the mean time i will continue compiling my gear. Heres the ques:

Wat should I get next, Leathers or track fairings?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rented a one piece, not ideal but it worked.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
^ i agree with flip, go on weraclassifieds.com and check everyday, youll find something cheap. what size are you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I slept on it and im def going with u guys suggestion. Going for leathers first. I have an RST gmx motion jacket so im considering finishing off the 2 piece though id prefer a 1 piece.

Sz i guess is somewhere between 48-50euro (according to dainese sz chart)

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I have a 2 piece as well. A*s RC1 and SMK jackets, and their track pants. I love having a 2 piece cause it gives me options. My RC-1 is a 46 and the SMK is a 44 so i can change jackets according to conditions and i can also use only the jackets for quick rides and also it is nice cause i cant trake the jacket off and be more comfortable while waiting for other groups.

The versatility is just unmatched. People "say" that the zippers fail and the 2 pieces come apart and that all 2 pieces are junk, but not one person can show me an instance where a two piece that was properly zipped together ripped the zipper apart in a crash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! I almost went to that trackday, the weather really got nice at the last minute. How did you like Absolute? Good group of people over there. Check the Team Promotion website message boards, there is a size 44 suit over there for $100, looks brand new. http://shopphilly.com/teampromotion/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=8715

Having your own equipment makes things a lot nicer, no need to rely on renting (or them not having your size cuz someone else got there first).

then you will start modding up your bike ( or get a dedicated track bike ), you will want a quickshifter, fuel module, exhaust, lap timer, slipper clutch, brembo, carrozerria wheels), next thing you know you will be almost bankrupt, your credit cards maxed, your boss furious as you have asked for raises every week.

Then you sell all your shite on ebay to raise cash, wife/girlfriend gets furious, put the house on the market to raise cash for a toy hauler (your wife / girlfriend doesn't understand you can actually live in them when your not doing track days, duh...). She leaves you anyway but you don't care cuz you have a double header that weekend...

And on and on it goes... does this sound like a track day guy, or heroin addict? You make the call...

Let me know when you are going out to NJMP again, I'm still in white myself and I can follow you around and shoot some video if you like.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the addiction! I almost went to that trackday, the weather really got nice at the last minute. How did you like Absolute? Good group of people over there. Check the Team Promotion website message boards, there is a size 44 suit over there for $100, looks brand new. http://shopphilly.com/teampromotion/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=8715

Having your own equipment makes things a lot nicer, no need to rely on renting (or them not having your size cuz someone else got there first).

then you will start modding up your bike ( or get a dedicated track bike ), you will want a quickshifter, fuel module, exhaust, lap timer, slipper clutch, brembo, carrozerria wheels), next thing you know you will be almost bankrupt, your credit cards maxed, your boss furious as you have asked for raises every week.

Then you sell all your shite on ebay to raise cash, wife/girlfriend gets furious, put the house on the market to raise cash for a toy hauler (your wife / girlfriend doesn't understand you can actually live in them when your not doing track days, duh...). She leaves you anyway but you don't care cuz you have a double header that weekend...

And on and on it goes... does this sound like a track day guy, or heroin addict? You make the call...

Let me know when you are going out to NJMP again, I'm still in white myself and I can follow you around and shoot some video if you like.
The addiction is crazy!!! Im here already shaking and stuff from withdrawal, lol. I thought absolute was awesome. Well run day, group sizes were a comfortable sz, and all their crew was super cool. Ill def be heading to njmp soon, prob may. Ill def let u know and we can put a cpl runs in together.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I tried to be ready to go down today, but i didnt get the track bike finished in time, would rather it be safe than thrown together to make the date.

I will definately be going 4/10 with TPM as well, i will be in garages 111 and 112 under the vip suites. Aboclute and TPM are both great orgs, i have ridden with both , i like TPMs 3 group format a little better than Absolutes 4 group format, but the 4 group format is a LOT better for n00bs cause they have the slow novice group where people are not passing you at double your speed, six feet away or not that is still a little scary.

I will probably start a thread soon to see who will be going , if there is not one up already.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Skip those mods. Your mods should be trackfarings and save up on tires and seat time.
+100000

Tires and plastics should be on top of your list once you get leathers. My track instructors told me your best insurance at the track is good tires, your fallback are trackplastics.

And in my opinion, experience and plenty of seat time is worth more than all those mods. I can run with the literbike guys with absolutely no mods on my 600...

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Skip those mods. Your mods should be trackfarings and save up on tires and seat time.
Seriously..if you REALLY feel the need to spend money on the bike other than seat time, get your suspension done. Those mods will be worthless without them and money much better spent.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I agree with Knigtshade. I just got done with my first 2 TDs. In my first day I was good. In my second day I started getting a lot of wheel chatter due to my rebound being set to hard (???) I believe. The guy parked next to me help me fix it a little. But your suspension can make or break a day at the track. Definitely my project for this month.

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Aboclute and TPM are both great orgs
I've done one TPM trackday at Monticello last year. I thought they were good but not great. I dunno but I guess I got spoiled at Tonystrackdays. If you've never done a day with them, give them a shot. Might be a little expensive, but I got more track time, learning, and more help from riders/instructors.

:+1::iamwith:

Seriously..if you REALLY feel the need to spend money on the bike other than seat time, get your suspension done. Those mods will be worthless without them and money much better spent.
:+1: Get your bike set up for your weight before you hit up your next trackday. It shouldn't be more than like 40 bucks. I'm not talking about ohlins or racetech stuff. Just the simple set up will do for now.

IMO this should be your priority list before your next trackday:

1. Leathers - 1pc or 2pc doesn't matter whatever fits, and is in your budget...
2. Suspension - set up for your weight
3. Tires - decent tread life left
4. Maintenance - Go over the bike and make sure everything is good (chain, oil change, brake pads, fluids, controls, etc.)
4. Read up - On any and everything track related, especially Body position, throttle control, and finding the right line.

I think that's enough for now....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:+1: Get your bike set up for your weight before you hit up your next trackday. It shouldn't be more than like 40 bucks. I'm not talking about ohlins or racetech stuff. Just the simple set up will do for now.

IMO this should be your priority list before your next trackday:

1. Leathers - 1pc or 2pc doesn't matter whatever fits, and is in your budget...
2. Suspension - set up for your weight
3. Tires - decent tread life left
4. Maintenance - Go over the bike and make sure everything is good (chain, oil change, brake pads, fluids, controls, etc.)
4. Read up - On any and everything track related, especially Body position, throttle control, and finding the right line.

I think that's enough for now....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice guys. In my head right now thats how i have it planned out. Leathers, suspension to be done at next track day, track fairings, tires, etc. The thing i want most and will prob benefit most from is just more seat time. There is so much to learn and go over and i feel like the only way to get it all down is more time on the track.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts