Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to do my first track day, ive read a multitude of first track day posts but no one has seemed to touch on these topics, what exactly do i do when i show up, do you unload in the parking lot and ride ur bikes up to the track or is their a separate space for vehicles and bikes for riders near the track, also what all do i need to bring, i have all the basic necessities (tent, air compressor, generator, grill) i just dont want to go overboard and show up w/ stuff not needed, also the "local track" is about 20 mintues from my house is it worth getting a trailer or just making the bike street legal it has a clean title just would need a few parts to make it legal again?

·
Registered
123 Posts
All the track people I've spoke with are very friendly. Ask them.
Also the workers at the tracks I've been to are also friendly, call and ask questions. You are paying them.

I fortunately have friends that track so I just follow their lead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya ive looked on the website for the track nearest to me and its all auto stuff no real info on motorcycle so i figured ill try and go their if they have any more events as a spectator for a day

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I can't imagine it would be any different between tracks but the general idea is to find your way to the pit area. You can park your car/trailer there. I like to park close to my bike.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have it, use it. Things aren't always rosy at the track and crashes happen. It would be easier to get yourself home when or if you crash.

As already mentioned, people at the track are usually very friendly. So don't hesitate to ask questions. There's always someone willing to lend a hand.

Here's a quick list of the things I take to the track:
1. Gear - suit, boots, gloves, helmet and under gear to keep me cool.
2. Gasoline - Usually two 20L cans but realistically, I only use one.
3. Generator + warmers
4. Basic tool kit
5. I pack my lunch, too much effort to grill something trackside
6. Cooler full of snacks, water, gatorade. I usually grab a 12 pack of water, 6 pack of gatorade and some red bull to get the adrenaline going.
7. Lawn chairs to relax between sessions

Most importantly, it's important that you go in with a positive attitude. Don't push yourself too hard, spend some time learning the lines and don't worry about going fast right away. Be smooth and speed will come.

Here's a picture of the pit area at the track i frequent, you can see some cars behind the wall, that's where I usually park:

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
I can't imagine it would be any different between tracks but the general idea is to find your way to the pit area. You can park your car/trailer there. I like to park close to my bike.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have it, use it. Things aren't always rosy at the track and crashes happen. It would be easier to get yourself home when or if you crash.

As already mentioned, people at the track are usually very friendly. So don't hesitate to ask questions. There's always someone willing to lend a hand.

Here's a quick list of the things I take to the track:
1. Gear - suit, boots, gloves, helmet and under gear to keep me cool.
2. Gasoline - Usually two 20L cans but realistically, I only use one.
3. Generator + warmers
4. Basic tool kit
5. I pack my lunch, too much effort to grill something trackside
6. Cooler full of snacks, water, gatorade. I usually grab a 12 pack of water, 6 pack of gatorade and some red bull to get the adrenaline going.
7. Lawn chairs to relax between sessions

Most importantly, it's important that you go in with a positive attitude. Don't push yourself too hard, spend some time learning the lines and don't worry about going fast right away. Be smooth and speed will come.

Here's a picture of the pit area at the track i frequent, you can see some cars behind the wall, that's where I usually park:

Agree 100%. Track riding kicks ass. I like having video (of me) too. Great way to see how your BP is etc.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,908 Posts
A lot of tracks won't allow bikes with coolant on the racing surface. Look into that, you may have to flush your rad and fill with water and water wetter.

May also need to tape your lights.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Agree 100%. Track riding kicks ass. I like having video (of me) too. Great way to see how your BP is etc.
Not only with body position, but your mistakes are magnified and it gives you a better idea of what you need to work on the next time out. Things like proper corner entry, throttle input, etc. I was grateful to have some video on my buddy's SD card. It really is a great tool.

+1 on the coolant, no tracks up here will allow. I have water/water wetter in mine and the only time I'll change to coolant is for storage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I actually have a go pro ill mount it up to check my bp for my first event, and ya the bikes already track ready fluid wise

·
Registered
346 Posts
Paddock/parking etc will all depend on what track you're going to. All of the tracks I've ridden (Road America, Grattan, ACC, Blackhawk) all are set up so you pit where you park.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So im looking to do my first track day, ive read a multitude of first track day posts but no one has seemed to touch on these topics, what exactly do i do when i show up, do you unload in the parking lot and ride ur bikes up to the track or is their a separate space for vehicles and bikes for riders near the track, also what all do i need to bring, i have all the basic necessities (tent, air compressor, generator, grill) i just dont want to go overboard and show up w/ stuff not needed, also the "local track" is about 20 mintues from my house is it worth getting a trailer or just making the bike street legal it has a clean title just would need a few parts to make it legal again?

You're over thinking this. When you get there it will become clear to you where to park and where to meet for a riders meeting or whatever they do at your track.

Get a trailer. Theres no way you'll be able to haul all the gear you need up there riding on the bike. Plus you might crash. Plus, if you do it right, you will NOT want to ride home after a track day. You will be dog tired beat. I highly suggest you go with a friend or someone you know in case something happens. Post up on your local forum and meet someone before you go out there. People do get hurt out there.

I agree with Mina's list as well. DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR KEY FOR THE MOTORCYCLE!!!!! I also like to bring lawn chairs and a little speaker for jams in b/w sessions.

Ride your own ride. This means don't chase faster riders or try to show off for the instructors - trust me, you will not impress them. Take it slow and smooth and pick up your pace slowly.

EDIT: I hope you're bank account is sufficiently large, because you're going to get addicted to riding track. You've been warned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wasnt trying to over think it i just picked up the bike to late in the season to do my first track day and was interested for sh*** and giggles but ya a trailer will have to be my option because my trucks lifted lol, the plus is the bikes wired for no ignition and ya i have a decent sized bank acount im young and have a great job so let the fun begin

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Get a track buddy. You don't need to be in the same group, but if you pit with someone/a group, you all get to share resources and hang out. I find it really helps.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i like going and talking to everyone there. usually by the end of the day your making plans to meet up the next time back at the track

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for sure hopefully ill be able to get out there before the seasons over, its getting cold by me quick but i got the bike all the maintenance and mechanical gear all i need is a full set of gear (which ive already picked out) i just thought maybe some new 2015 gear will start rolling out so i should wait or was this a dumb thought?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I just came home from what I think was my last track of the year. I'll shed some light on another angle that hasn't been discussed. It is very important that you get a good night's sleep. Don't ride if you feel like you're tired/stressed. I made plenty of mistakes today and almost binned it on a couple of occasions. Called it quits after my 3rd session, still bummed out about it because it was a perfect day for riding.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
While protective gear has had some cool innovations lately, for the most part it's a cosmetic/fashion thing from year to year - don't let that stop you (and in fact, if you're set on buying new, closeouts are the way to go.)

Drinking then getting 3 hours sleep tends to be a pre trackday ritual of mine, but I oddly gain stamina throughout the day. But yeah, you gotta feel right to concentrate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
alright well the only thing i havnt picked out or really know anything about is back protectors im getting the alpinestars motegi suit any recommendations w/ that suit?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts