Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

First Track Day! Pics coming soon!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DoomCue 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Did two track days in a row this weekend at NCBike in Garysburg NC and i'm officially addicted. N2 was running the track and did a phenomenal job. I learned so much and half way through my first day I was scraping my pucks. The instructors were very professional and excellent teachers, ill be going through N2 the next track day I do for sure. Cant wait to get on the track again, im even thinking about turning my 08 600rr into a track bike. Two complaints about the CBR.

1) My toes kept scraping the ground. No matter how much I moved them up on my stock rear sets they kept dragging. Some of the guys recommended woodcraft and vortex as good CBR rear sets, any thoughts?

2) On the straight away I was getting blown away by R6s, and Daytonas :(. Maybe I wasnt shifting right or something but that was kinda annoying because I would pass them in the turns right after. Maybe changing my rear sprocket would help me in the higher RPMs? All I have on the bike is a yosh slip on, I dont know that I can fully invest in a full exhaust yet. Any thought on beating those guys out in the straight?

See you on the track!

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
1) balls on the foot peg and get off the bike will mean less lean angle of the bike and therefore stops you from scrapping your boot.

2) that's completely normal; both 675 and R6 have more grunt than our bike.

I had to put full exhaust and tuned with bazzaz before I can keep up on the straight/ pass them.

#3 ·
If you've done 2 trackdays the last place you need to be putting money is into your bike.

At your level, if anything is going wrong, it is 100% because of you the rider. You need to work on your body positioning if you're dragging toes. The fact that you are flying past people in the corners makes me thing that you are actually riding very close to the limits of your tires without realizing it, and that is a sure recipe for a crash, which you really should not be doing on your 3rd track day.

Slow down, take a breath, and remember that going fast is a process that takes time and experience. Spend time talking with the control riders at your trackdays, they will be incredibly willing and helpful. Have them follow you around and then listen very closely to what they tell you.

#4 ·
+1 on both drewnabobber and rinonz' advice.

I wish I had listened to good advice like that when I was starting track days. I could have avoided some unnecessary (and un-fun) crashes.

I ride my 600 with the liter bikes all the time, and take a lot of pride in passing someone at the corner who just blew past me on the straight. Riding an underpowered bike really well is a reward unto itself - and then you can later put money into your bike or add some displacement.

Post pics when you get them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.