Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i took my new race bike out last wekend to JenningsGP. It was my first time ever on a track. I took the Ed Bargy race school on Sat. and practiced Sun. and Mon. By the third session on the second day I was timed at a 1:26:19 lap time. They then moved my buddy (who got a 1:27:14) and myself to expert. Is riding this good supposed to be so natural? I think I found my nack. I am completly hooked.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
hooked!! thats why I am afraid to even try bc I cant afford myself as we speak lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
LDROWN said:
Well i took my new race bike out last wekend to JenningsGP. It was my first time ever on a track. I took the Ed Bargy race school on Sat. and practiced Sun. and Mon. By the third session on the second day I was timed at a 1:26:19 lap time. They then moved my buddy (who got a 1:27:14) and myself to expert. Is riding this good supposed to be so natural? I think I found my nack. I am completly hooked.

how long have you been on the street?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i started riding street bikes oct 04

S

·
0 Posts
not too bad. what kind of setup were you running? I am hooked also I have been tracking it since '98 and Im still not tired of it. I could own a Lambo for as uch as I have spent on my habit. Beautiful isnt it?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was running one down in the front. i am still learning about gearing and things like that. i need to set the suspension and get it dyno tuned. i am hoping that will cut a sec off my time.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Damn, that is an awsome time for a beginner at that track...way to go!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have never ridden the track, so I can comment on what good times would be, but just as in all other sports and things we do some people just have the nak as you say. Some people are better at picking up things faster or right off the bat. Some take longer. Just because you might pick something up really fast does not mean you will be better than the guy that takes longer to learn. Over the last few years I have raced an SV. My best friend has been racing an SV about 3 years before me. I started beating him right away. Our bikes are setup almost identical and within 1hp of each other. I have never taken any classes, just learned from reading, watching races, talking to others etc.

A big factor in being fast and winning races is experience. Knowing what to do when, how to stay out of trouble, get through traffic and the list goes on and on. You could be two seconds faster than a guy, but then hit traffic and hesitate on a pass and the next thing you know he is by you and the guy holding you up.

On a track I know well and when I see a rider I am catching, I will sometimes slow down a bit before hand so that my passing is optimal, say in the exit of a turn. If you catch a rider mid turn and have to back off, that just kills your drive. Also what works for one may not for another.

Good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
just wondering, how scary is it for a noob on a first track day. are people decent or you get treated like **** right out the box. id like to buff up my skills before i get on any type of track but just wondering

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
just wondering, how scary is it for a noob on a first track day. are people decent or you get treated like **** right out the box. id like to buff up my skills before i get on any type of track but just wondering
not scary at all if you ride within your limits, it is up to you to make it the most pleasurable or the most horrifying thing you ever did on 2 wheels & so far those who tried it most got hooked.

btw the street is no place to buff up your skills, the track is THE place for that, skills i learned & honed on the track saved my butt on the street a few occasions & i wasn't even speeding at those times.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
not scary at all if you ride within your limits, it is up to you to make it the most pleasurable or the most horrifying thing you ever did on 2 wheels & so far those who tried it most got hooked.

btw the street is no place to buff up your skills, the track is THE place for that, skills i learned & honed on the track saved my butt on the street a few occasions & i wasn't even speeding at those times.
:+1:

Don't be afraid to talk to other riders and control riders either. That's what they are all there for. Pick their brains and have a control rider tow and follow you around the track to teach you what to work on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok here comes the super noob in me.....whats a control rider and i just assumed the track would be full of guys going nuts and i would be in the way while trying to learn

and i didnt mean on the street going nuts when i said buffing up my skills i just meant getting more comfy with my bike and learning some of my general comfort limits. i get that there guys go out balls to the wall on the street but im not about sliding into a cager because i wanna push how far i can lean lol we have some decent roads that i can get the feel for leaning into it or taking a slower tighter turn at a lower speed and i want to get more comfy before i take it to the track.
so how does a track day work? like you show up and pay and they let you go, no headlights right? full set of riding gear and i just cant shake this picture i have in my head of going to the skating rink as a kid and all these people going around at the same time bumping into each other, i know it couldnt be like that but i just cant shake it lol

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
ok here comes the super noob in me.....whats a control rider and i just assumed the track would be full of guys going nuts and i would be in the way while trying to learn

and i didnt mean on the street going nuts when i said buffing up my skills i just meant getting more comfy with my bike and learning some of my general comfort limits. i get that there guys go out balls to the wall on the street but im not about sliding into a cager because i wanna push how far i can lean lol we have some decent roads that i can get the feel for leaning into it or taking a slower tighter turn at a lower speed and i want to get more comfy before i take it to the track.
so how does a track day work? like you show up and pay and they let you go, no headlights right? full set of riding gear and i just cant shake this picture i have in my head of going to the skating rink as a kid and all these people going around at the same time bumping into each other, i know it couldnt be like that but i just cant shake it lol
what we (control riders) do is to provide a safe and smooth session...they usually have groups A (advanced) B (intermediate) C (beginner) each group has 20 min sessions or depending on track day provider...so what control riders do is we make sure that ppl are following the class rules and if we see you struggling out there we usually follow you and try and show you what you can improve on....as far as the bike you should have a good tires and make sure throttle doesnt stick, good brakes and pretty much make sure bike is not gonna do something crazy....as far as headlights many org. just want them taped off..but read the requirements that each ogranization has...:shakehand

·
Registered
215 Posts
hey thanks for the info im interested in getting out there and that def takes away from my "roller rink" picture. so first they will separate people and they have specific people out there to make it safe fun and not a complete disaster and i can find out before hand what is required ? also i was wondering how crowded it gets and in general how many runs/sessions can you expect out of a day and how does pricing work. one price for all day and thats it or are there other costs to be considered? thanks for the helpful info i was expecting the wrath of the mighty flame thrower haha

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
hey thanks for the info im interested in getting out there and that def takes away from my "roller rink" picture. so first they will separate people and they have specific people out there to make it safe fun and not a complete disaster and i can find out before hand what is required ? also i was wondering how crowded it gets and in general how many runs/sessions can you expect out of a day and how does pricing work. one price for all day and thats it or are there other costs to be considered? thanks for the helpful info i was expecting the wrath of the mighty flame thrower haha
usually there are 7 sessions and pricing all depends on weekday, weekend, holiday, and what track you go to. most org. have a limit to how many riders sign up and that is to prevent from having to many riders out there at once. no wrath or flame thrower here I'm always glad to help ppl get on the track....

·
Registered
215 Posts
that is awesome news im feeling like 100% better about how its going to be when i do get out there, someone sent me a thing www.tampasportsbikes.com but it doesnt work apparently there are a bunch of tracks here in florida but like i said im pretty clueless to the track scene any suggestions on how to find tracks or is there an org. i can search for?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
that is awesome news im feeling like 100% better about how its going to be when i do get out there, someone sent me a thing www.tampasportsbikes.com but it doesnt work apparently there are a bunch of tracks here in florida but like i said im pretty clueless to the track scene any suggestions on how to find tracks or is there an org. i can search for?
roadracingworld magazine usually has a trackday directory and it displays every track and org on it as well as dates...go to roadracingworld.com and try and find it...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts