Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first trackday is coming up this month. At first it wasnt even a consideration of which bike I would take, the RR of course. But now that I have been thinking about it, I am considering taking the F2 instead since I have no experience on the track and I dont want to crash the RR. Of course I dont want to crash the F2 either, but I'd rather it be that one than my beautiful Valentina.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on this. Will taking an older, heavier bike limit me as far as learning better skills. Or since I will be just learning and taking it slow, the difference of technology won't be such a factor?

I need to make up my mind soon so I can order the right set of Pilot Powers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Race plastics #1 hands down. Also, take off your peg feelers. I learned that the hard way resulting in my reasoning for the plastics.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
For my first TrackDay.

1. Find out the rules of the track, coolant, tape light, tire, ect.

2.Go over the bike for any problems.

3. Listen to the instructor

4. And have fun!!!!!! Just remember this is your first trackday so don't go over your head.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to Streets of Willow Springs on Feb.27th. I've never had experience getting track ready so I could probably use some help. But which bike should I take?!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Disco said:
I'm going to Streets of Willow Springs on Feb.27th. I've never had experience getting track ready so I could probably use some help. But which bike should I take?!
Nice track to learn at. Watch out for bumps tho.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If your level headed and listen to the instructors, you shouldn't have to worry about crashing either. I would take the bike you feel the most comfortable on and the one which will be easier to set up.

If one bike is your daily commuter, I'd put the track tires on the other cause you'll be going back as soon as funds allow!

·
Registered
281 Posts
dayrock said:
If your level headed and listen to the instructors, you shouldn't have to worry about crashing either. I would take the bike you feel the most comfortable on and the one which will be easier to set up.

If one bike is your daily commuter, I'd put the track tires on the other cause you'll be going back as soon as funds allow!
+1 Once you do your first trackday, you'll be addicted. I don't get too exited about riding on the street anymore.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If I was in your position, I would probably take your RR because you will have a lot more fun with it. As far as crashing, I would recommend taking it easy for the first half day before you become comfortable with the track.

Here are some side questions: Why don't you just bring both? Not to dog on the F2, but why do you even have one? Is it your commuter bike?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would take whichever bike you feel good on... Don't worry about crashing thats how you crash. On my first trackday I had target fixation on the rider in front of me and completely forgot about the turning coming up. Needless to say I had to check up about 1/4 of the way through the corner and stood it strait up in preperation for the grass. HAHA its funny just before that track session my instructor told us that if we went off track not to touch the front brake to slow down. THANK YOU TO HIM i saved the bike and kept on riding.
-Nathan
Have fun

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ryan42657 said:
If I was in your position, I would probably take your RR because you will have a lot more fun with it. As far as crashing, I would recommend taking it easy for the first half day before you become comfortable with the track.

Here are some side questions: Why don't you just bring both? Not to dog on the F2, but why do you even have one? Is it your commuter bike?
I know I would definately have more fun on the RR. I guess I'm just going to have to keep checking myself to take it easy. Although I am very competitive.

Yes the F2 is my commuter bike, although I don't like commuting to work on the bikes anymore. Actually, I rarely use it, but that baby can still keep up with the best of them. I also would also much rather keep street tires on that one and put the Pilot Powers on the RR.

Well, I guess I'm taking Valentina to the track!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds like ya got a good head on your shoulders.

I'd recommend that its not important to try an break the track record on the 1st day.

I've seen some dudes that love to point and shoot their bikes on the street and think they can Rule on a track, couple laps later the crash truck and an ambulance are bringing them back to the pits, broken bones and costly repairs to a bike ain't worth it.

Like everybody else said, Have Fun.
As your seat time increases , your lap times will drop naturally.
Technically speaking

Corner Entrance = In Slow Out Fast

and looking for a video of the track before hand would be cool

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would take the RR. I had a F3 and have a 03 rr now. My god what a difference. Whether you can ride fast or not, the RR should feel alot better than the "slug"(thats what i called mine). the rr is probably safer to ride since it handles so much better. Good Luck, you'll never ride on the street again

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not saying this is right for you but here's the way I look at it . I have an '03RR and a '99F4 . I'm currently using my F4 as my track bike for a couple of reasons .

First - It's got over 30K miles on it so the resale value is pretty low . I figure if there's a chance I'm going to wad a bike at the track it makes more sense for it to be my F4 .

Second - I feel like I'm learning more by using my F4 as my track bike . It isn't as easy to go fast on . It doesn't have the HP or the handeling that my RR has , so " I " have to learn to make up the difference . I have a few friends that just moved down to 250 2 strokes for similar reasons .

Either way , good luck and have fun .

·
Registered
749 Posts
Disco... just go out there and have fun... it's not about those other guys out there...it's just as much your track in those sessions as theirs. Go out there, have fun and look through the corners... remember your bike will go where you are looking as long as you aren't pushing super hard.

SSSMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHHHHHH is the key!

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'm also taking the novice riders school with fastrackriders, so I'll have instruction all day.

I feel like I'm learning more by using my F4 as my track bike . It isn't as easy to go fast on . It doesn't have the HP or the handeling that my RR has , so " I " have to learn to make up the difference . I have a few friends that just moved down to 250 2 strokes for similar reasons .
I also thought about this. If I ride the F2 and get good on it, then I will be even better on the much smoother and lighter RR. I plan on doing many track days this year, so I'm sure I'll saddle up on the F2 one of those times.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Disco said:
Well I'm also taking the novice riders school with fastrackriders, so I'll have instruction all day.

I also thought about this. If I ride the F2 and get good on it, then I will be even better on the much smoother and lighter RR. I plan on doing many track days this year, so I'm sure I'll saddle up on the F2 one of those times.
I would start with the F2 first, cause then you'd appreciate the superiority of an RR once you get faster and faster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts