Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in Maintenance forum, but didn't get a response. So I'll try here...

On my 04:

I just removed the tank decals from underneath a thin layer of clear coat. I just ripped them right off.

Now, I have bare plastic left where the decals were and its pretty noticeable. Is the tank just black plastic, or does it have a layer of paint? Anyways, it has sort of a dry weathered look to it and its ugly. I have an uncle with a spray gun and a paint room, but I understand the clear coat can be spendy if I went that route.

How do you think the tank would come out if I just buffed out or wet sanded the edges of the old clear coat, and then spray bombed on some new stuff? The last time I sprayed clear was on my helmet and I could not stop it from running.

I'll post a picture soon. You can tell the whole tank could probably use a new finish, but you can also see the boarder of clear coat where the decal used to be. Would wet sanding be the best way to get rid of that edge? 1200 grit?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
From what I've seen in the past, it should be paint, then the decal, then a layer of clear on top of it. You'll have to sand it a little and then respray with clear if you want it to look even. To avoid the clear from running, don't spray it on so thick. Light even coats and don't start/stop spraying while on the target surface.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Paging Dr. natypes...

Seriously try PMing natypes. He is the resident guru on paint.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Who the fvck paints over decals? I doubt they do that at the factory. If thats the case then what you are seeing is the sticker residue.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
From what I've seen in the past, it should be paint, then the decal, then a layer of clear on top of it. You'll have to sand it a little and then respray with clear if you want it to look even. To avoid the clear from running, don't spray it on so thick. Light even coats and don't start/stop spraying while on the target surface.
+1....... Clear is over the decals on the tank only. the rest of the bike decals dont have clear over them but the tank does.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 07 didnt have clear over the decals on the tank. They pulled right off no problem.
Unfortunately this is an '04. I know for a fact that my '06 has clear over the stickers. There is a thread on here somewhere that outlines the colors and years that have clear on the tank.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I work at a collision repair center and if you want it done the right way you will need to wet sand it with 600 grit paper and use a sealer, then base coat then your clear. If you dont really care what it comes out like just scuff it and reclear it but you will still see the outline where the decal was. Guess it depends on what type of job you want in the end.

·
Registered
262 Posts
wetsand with 600, apply sealer or adhesian promoter, base coat the black, then clear coat.

after the clear is cured, wetsand with 2000 grit and buff until it looks like glass.

from the sounds of it, you dont know much about this kind of stuff.....i would just pay your buddy who paint's to do it for you...he should be able to do it right, and fairly quick if he knows what he is doing.

should take no longer than 1.5-2 hours from start to finish. if he has a booth that bakes...then he can wetsand and buff it the same day. at the most your bike would be down 1 day.

if he dosent have a booth that bake's, you bike may be down 2-5 day's depending on his experience, and how well he knows his product.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's my uncle that has a booth. It's not a baker, but it is in a heated building, so I could just have it painted this winter when the bike is in storage. I wish I could save the tank decal, though. Oh well. I guess my bike will be more black than I though when I started removing decals. Now if I could only afford some PC work for my rear sets and swing arm! :drool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts