Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you get rid of oxidation on aluminum?..my gf's rims are all oxidized and look like sh!t. thanks

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
sanding....with oxidation to have to get to the root of the problem or else it will just build up again. Your best defense is to clear coat the aluminum after you get it all out.

I don't know but I've heard about acid washing as well? Maybe some resident metallurgists can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yea, oxidation can't really be "fixed", its gotta be removed by sanding or some other abrasive means. Then like havoc said protect it with some clear.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
blakrr said:
how do i sand it without getting swirl marks? and what grit do i use?
First, try some baking soda and a clean, dry cloth. If that doesn't work their probably pretty bad. Second, try an old trick with sand, brake fluid, and steel wool. Watched an old black man clean a set of complety rusted out rims back to new! I couldn't believe my eyes. Oh, and be ready to provide a lot of elbow grease! :mrgreen: Then polish for a lasting finish.

Good Luck,

Tim

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
havoc said:
I don't know but I've heard about acid washing as well? Maybe some resident metallurgists can shed some light on this.
<-Or the resident Madd Chemist. :lol2: You can use a blend of acids containing nitric acid and sulfuric Acid at about 10% each, along with about 5% Hydrofluoric Acid (Nasty ****) along with a detergent package, We make about 10 versions of the stuff where I work. www.chemiteinc.com It will etch the alluminum down to a white matte finish, you will need to buff it back to a polish afterwards so your better off sanding it in the first place. (Ben There, Done That) I keep some under the sink, but I don't think you can pick the stuff we make up at the local auto parts store, too hazardous. The other problem with rims is that they are already clear coated and that will need to be sanded away anyways. BTW, the above mixture is also great at removing brake dust from rims.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
blakrr said:
how do i sand it without getting swirl marks? and what grit do i use?
Sand with a medium paper, 100 grit or so, then fine wet sand with that grey ultra fine wet sand paper. Then use a good buffing compound. 3M makes a good one of those too. The 3M Deoxidizer is too wimpy, It's probably Oxalic Acid and a Fluoride salt. It would have troubles with heavy oxidation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts