Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that 08 got away from me :(

No bother, i'm going to broaden my search to the 09+ (no '13 for me though, don't like that style)

Anyways... as far as I know, the 09+ don't have any advantages over the 07-08. The only one I could think of is ABS, which is what i'll be aiming for. Am I right? Are there any advantages?

Things I don't like about the 09+

-The engine cover, is there a mod to fix this? Or a fairing I could buy? I'm sure I could just "cut" the fairing to make it revealed, but i'm not so good at doing body work...

-They cut the top end, but I heard there are mods to "restore" it seems quite controversial though, as a rider coming off of a 300 I doubt i'll even notice, anyway and I know this topic has been beaten to death.

Anyways, I'm mainly concerned with are there any other pros and cons of the 09? I feel like there are no pros even though wiki reveals that:
"Other changes included updates to the engine such as changes to its pistons, cylinder head and exhaust that Honda claims will increase torque delivery between 8,000-12,000 rpm with a 3.5% increase in torque at 10,000 rpm. The CBR600RR’s engine also received a new high resistance valve lifter and a popup valve system inherited from the CBR1000RR."

Is this all noticeable differences? Or is it simply just a distraction from the 10bhp they slashed from the previous year?

Thanks everyone, just trying to make the right choice, I plan to keep this bike for a very long time.. :)

·
Registered
5,599 Posts

No bother, i'm going to broaden my search to the 09+ (no '13 for me though, don't like that style)

Anyways... as far as I know, the 09+ don't have any advantages over the 07-08. The only one I could think of is ABS, which is what i'll be aiming for. Am I right? Are there any advantages?

-The engine cover, is there a mod to fix this? Or a fairing I could buy? I'm sure I could just "cut" the fairing to make it revealed, but i'm not so good at doing body work...

-They cut the top end, but I heard there are mods to "restore" it seems quite controversial though, as a rider coming off of a 300 I doubt i'll even notice, anyway and I know this topic has been beaten to death.

Anyways, I'm mainly concerned with are there any other pros and cons of the 09? I feel like there are no pros even though wiki reveals that:
"Other changes included updates to the engine such as changes to its pistons, cylinder head and exhaust that Honda claims will increase torque delivery between 8,000-12,000 rpm with a 3.5% increase in torque at 10,000 rpm. The CBR600RR’s engine also received a new high resistance valve lifter and a popup valve system inherited from the CBR1000RR."

Is this all noticeable differences? Or is it simply just a distraction from the 10bhp they slashed from the previous year?

Thanks everyone, just trying to make the right choice, I plan to keep this bike for a very long time.. :)

I modified the fairing to reveal the engine covers, with sturdy kitchen scissors, it's doable, patience is your best friend.

You can get a Z-bomb or a Dynojet IRC to bypass the ignition retarding on the 09+ models and regain the HP which will be at the top end but for the price, it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

Don't believe all the hype the 07-08 owners like to drum up. While the 07-08 bikes out of the box have more outright peak HP, getting it back is 10 minutes and $50 for a Zbomb and the added midrange is a plus along with the higher resale value of a newer machine. Hoping you won't block me like some others have for suggesting this but search around on here because this has been covered MANY times in depth.

Couple things as highlights:

- The already mentioned Zbomb will return the "lost" 4 or 5 HP, as will installing an 07/08 ECU which are cheap on eBay and easy to do. If memory serves 1 pin needs to move and you'll have effectively a late model bike with an early model powerband. FYi, it's not 10 HP either, get that out of your head. Search on here for this, I have an 08 ECU in a box somewhere I bought when I bought my 11 that I never bothered hooking up because I like the feel of mine as is.

- There are two distinct powerbands with these bikes based on the ECU mapping, the 07/08 and 09+. The 07/08 has a more "raw" feel, almost like a snap with very little low end but has a straight pull to the top with more power coming smoothly as the revs rise. The 09+ is a more "refined" feel to the power which is somewhat smoother. The bike doesn't seem to feel as "alive" under you but has a nice bump in the midrange where you spend 95% of your time when not on a track which almost makes the bike have a grunt to it. Both are subtle differences but are there. The 09+ just feels more civilized, some might call it boring but it's a very manageable bike to ride and ride fast. I've been riding sport bikes longer than you've been alive I bet and can tell a difference immediately, you may never notice it so don't fall for the hype.

- The 07/08 lowers are a direct swap with the change of one $5 bracket and the lowers. Bought my '11 in the spring of '13 as a brand new leftover and made the shop include the new lowers in the deal because I wanted to see the engine. Again, search. It was under $300 for both lowers and bracket, sold my brand new lowers for $150 or thereabouts for an outlay of $150, buy from a discount online vender for best price.

- The last major difference are the swing arm colors which are black on most of the older models. Just keep that in mind, you might not see that right away when looking at the different years; as well they can either be powder coated or swapped with one that is black.

That help? You can't go wrong with either and the 09+ are very fine bike. While the ABS is nice know it's like 22 lbs heavier and things like brake line swaps and bleeding become expensive and tough not to mention the additional plumbing can cause other maintenance items to become harder. Not swaying you, just informing you.

Below is my '11 with 08 lowers and a Zbomb loaded down in sport touring duty, best combo of all generations in my experience. The added piece that makes the bike is the black swing arm.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't believe all the hype the 07-08 owners like to drum up. While the 07-08 bikes out of the box have more outright peak HP, getting it back is 10 minutes and $50 for a Zbomb and the added midrange is a plus along with the higher resale value of a newer machine. Hoping you won't block me like some others have for suggesting this but search around on here because this has been covered MANY times in depth.

Couple things as highlights:

- The already mentioned Zbomb will return the "lost" 4 or 5 HP, as will installing an 07/08 ECU which are cheap on eBay and easy to do. If memory serves 1 pin needs to move and you'll have effectively a late model bike with an early model powerband. FYi, it's not 10 HP either, get that out of your head. Search on here for this, I have an 08 ECU in a box somewhere I bought when I bought my 11 that I never bothered hooking up because I like the feel of mine as is.

- There are two distinct powerbands with these bikes based on the ECU mapping, the 07/08 and 09+. The 07/08 has a more "raw" feel, almost like a snap with very little low end but has a straight pull to the top with more power coming smoothly as the revs rise. The 09+ is a more "refined" feel to the power which is somewhat smoother. The bike doesn't seem to feel as "alive" under you but has a nice bump in the midrange where you spend 95% of your time when not on a track which almost makes the bike have a grunt to it. Both are subtle differences but are there. The 09+ just feels more civilized, some might call it boring but it's a very manageable bike to ride and ride fast. I've been riding sport bikes longer than you've been alive I bet and can tell a difference immediately, you may never notice it so don't fall for the hype.

- The 07/08 lowers are a direct swap with the change of one $5 bracket and the lowers. Bought my '11 in the spring of '13 as a brand new leftover and made the shop include the new lowers in the deal because I wanted to see the engine. Again, search. It was under $300 for both lowers and bracket, sold my brand new lowers for $150 or thereabouts for an outlay of $150, buy from a discount online vender for best price.

- The last major difference are the swing arm colors which are black on most of the older models. Just keep that in mind, you might not see that right away when looking at the different years; as well they can either be powder coated or swapped with one that is black.

That help? You can't go wrong with either and the 09+ are very fine bike. While the ABS is nice know it's like 22 lbs heavier and things like brake line swaps and bleeding become expensive and tough not to mention the additional plumbing can cause other maintenance items to become harder. Not swaying you, just informing you.

Below is my '11 with 08 lowers and a Zbomb loaded down in sport touring duty, best combo of all generations in my experience. The added piece that makes the bike is the black swing arm.

Mike
Mike,

This is perfect! Thank you!

As for the 10hp, I wasn't sure of the number so I just rounded up, I know how the real world works lol.

With the 08 ECU, do you think that it would be plug and play for an ABS model too? Just curious.

Also would you need the Zbomb or could you just swap the 08 ECU and call it a day?

Great to know that the lower fairing from the 08 is completely plug and play to the 09. :)

Thanks, I feel much better going for the 09+ model now, I know ABS weighs 22lbs more, but I do plan on recovering some weight from an aftermarket exhaust to help balance it out a little (I know you can drop like 5lbs from stock exhaust). A lot of members have been saying that you would barely even feel the weight difference on the ABS model which I tend to believe as well. As for working on ABS and dealing with things when they break. I agree with you and between the weight increases and extra headache of maintenance I felt like it wasn't worth it. Looking back at it now though, I know how much of a PATA it is to work on my car (which has ABS) but I can do it. And the extra headache is completely worth it if the ABS saves my butt even once.

Btw, nice looking bike. Tons of luggage, huh. :)

·
05/16 BOTM Winner / Pocketbike Racer
342 Posts
Well, the abs is great for the street and commuting. I went for the abs for that reason. Now that i hardly ride on the street/city anymore, I'll be removing the abs. Mostly just to try to master standard brakes on the track.
Installing an 07/08 ecu would be fine on an abs bike. They are two completely different modules. Though getting a z-bomb is the way to go. It restores lost hp but still maintains the more powerful midrange, and 55 bucks is cheap.
Another thing, if you do opt for the abs model, cutting or swapping the lower fairings wont be reasonable. The abs ecu is hiding behind the left lower. Swapping the fairing would leave that exposed..

·
Registered
903 Posts
+1 on pretty much what everyone said before. Debating about who has an extra 4hp top end on the street is like a bunch of celibate monks debating who has the largest penis. It may make you feel better but it's not like it's really going to matter. When you're riding around on the street with the throttle pinned in every gear and getting beat by minivans on the highways then let's talk.

When it comes to the cosmetics of the lowers the easy thing is getting the previous version and bolting it on. If you already have the bike then some careful work with a dremel & sandpaper can get you something between the two that I like better. Here's an example of what I did. The previous owner had a couple parking lot tip overs so there were some light scratches in the lower so I had nothing to lose. I masked the contour that was cut and marked it 1mm off of that contour ridge. After trimming with the dremel I used progressively finer sandpaper to smooth it out. Looks like a cross between 08/09.

The ABS guts being visible after changing the lowers would be a concern maybe. Mine is obviously non ABS.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the abs is great for the street and commuting. I went for the abs for that reason. Now that i hardly ride on the street/city anymore, I'll be removing the abs. Mostly just to try to master standard brakes on the track.
Installing an 07/08 ecu would be fine on an abs bike. They are two completely different modules. Though getting a z-bomb is the way to go. It restores lost hp but still maintains the more powerful midrange, and 55 bucks is cheap.
Another thing, if you do opt for the abs model, cutting or swapping the lower fairings wont be reasonable. The abs ecu is hiding behind the left lower. Swapping the fairing would leave that exposed..
I mainly want the right hand fairing revealed, I could leave the left. There are no ABS stuffs tucked away under the right side, correct?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on pretty much what everyone said before. Debating about who has an extra 4hp top end on the street is like a bunch of celibate monks debating who has the largest penis. It may make you feel better but it's not like it's really going to matter. When you're riding around on the street with the throttle pinned in every gear and getting beat by minivans on the highways then let's talk.

When it comes to the cosmetics of the lowers the easy thing is getting the previous version and bolting it on. If you already have the bike then some careful work with a dremel & sandpaper can get you something between the two that I like better. Here's an example of what I did. The previous owner had a couple parking lot tip overs so there were some light scratches in the lower so I had nothing to lose. I masked the contour that was cut and marked it 1mm off of that contour ridge. After trimming with the dremel I used progressively finer sandpaper to smooth it out. Looks like a cross between 08/09.

The ABS guts being visible after changing the lowers would be a concern maybe. Mine is obviously non ABS.
Nice job man, it looks very clean. Yeah, I'm not going to stress the 6 horsepower. I heard the whole mid range revamp was bs, though? Any dyno's to prove it?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
With the 08 ECU, do you think that it would be plug and play for an ABS model too? Just curious.

Also would you need the Zbomb or could you just swap the 08 ECU and call it a day?
This was already answered but you either do the 07/08 ECU or the Zbomb, not both.

Not sure on the abs ECU thing, might want to compare part numbers on the microfiche. I can easily see it going either way.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure where your located but I have the wifes pristine 09 600RR for sale, 6k miles, tasteful mods, asking $6785. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are no probs with the 09+

It's all just hype garbage, pro riders may feel the more refined powerband but neither will ever make a difference enough to make you have a strong preference.

They are both awesome bikes, more than enough to get you killed on the street, so enjoy and ride safe.

And enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure where your located but I have the wifes pristine 09 600RR for sale, 6k miles, tasteful mods, asking $6785. Pm me if interested.

There are no probs with the 09+

It's all just hype garbage, pro riders may feel the more refined powerband but neither will ever make a difference enough to make you have a strong preference.

They are both awesome bikes, more than enough to get you killed on the street, so enjoy and ride safe.

And enjoy your bike!
Thanks man! Yeah, I'm just gonna keep my eyes peeled for a clean looking cbr600rr for the right price. I'm trying to spend no more than 8 grand. As I said before, I want this bike to last me the next 5+ years. I already have some mods in mind, like an after market tail and hyperflo exhaust. :) Gonna be awesome once I get one, i'll be sure to post up about 1-2 million pictures and a build thread :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No one one this forum can tell the difference in 2hp riding the bike.... just so u know I personally wouldnt go for a abs model.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm just gonna keep my eyes peeled for a clean looking cbr600rr for the right price. I'm trying to spend no more than 8 grand. As I said before, I want this bike to last me the next 5+ years. I already have some mods in mind, like an after market tail and hyperflo exhaust. :) Gonna be awesome once I get one, i'll be sure to post up about 1-2 million pictures and a build thread :)
Sounds good mate, i just bought an 09 with 2500km on the clock, it was in showroom condition so i was happy to pay 8500 for it, im in Australia too so we get raped for prices.

I just posted a few pics of it with the new windscreen and de-stickered fairings, im going to be posting more as i mod it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress when you get your ride.

Cheers - Mike

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Wow, that looks great. I did not like the 2009 fairing change at all, while they said it was for noise or some nonsense, it clearly was to hide the ABS stuff. I like your take on it.

I have read in a few places that the power loss in 2009 was only to satisfy a new emissions/sound standard (Euro5?), and the only thing changed was the fueling in the top part of 6th gear - everything else remained the same. Pick up a used Zbomb off ebay and you'll be golden.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts