Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else fix wrecked bikes out of their own garage?

When I wrecked my last bike (sv650s), The shop gave me a quote of 1000 for it and instead I fixed it up and sold it for 4k.

I'm thinking about just buying a wrecked bike a month and fixing it up to sell as a side hobby/extra way of making money.

Just wanted to see if anyone else does this, and where they get their bikes from. I know they have something in ATL where they auction off damaged/stolen bikes, but you have to have a dealers liscense. MY

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
the problem is finding wrecked bikes to fix. the $3000 salvage bikes are too expensive. You have to find the $1000 salvaged bikes at the auctions. Getting your foot in at the auction can be difficult from what I understand. I understand that they don't like newcomers and have been known to bid bikes up like crazy when a new guy comes in and tries to get in on the action.

If you do make it, fixing them and selling them may be less lucrative then parting them out. A good friend of mine has a good friend who does this and he found it to be much more profitable to sell salvaged parts to dealers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I meant to say at the end, by for some reason it got cut off is...

My dad has a dealers liscense, because he is a boat dealer. And that I'm sure he could help.

Although I may not be able to make a whole lot of money off something like this, any would help seeing I'm in college. Plus I enjoy working on bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
dealers license

It's really not hard to get a dealers license, I almost had to get one because in Michigan you can't sell more than 6 cars a year without one and I was buying cars, fixing them, and selling them for a profit. It's really just a fee. If your just a motorcycle or car trailer dealer it's even easier. Here's a link to get you started.

http://www.niada.com/Dealer_Corner/del_lic.htm

·
Registered
923 Posts
you can check copart too is an auction of cars, bikes, trucks, boats, and i think if you find good deals you can make easy 1000 bucks or more it depends how much you spend on the bike, tow fee, parts, i love to work on my bike if i have the money and time i would do the same trust me love motorcycles and give them a hand LOL. BTW my bike was wrecked and came back from the ashes LOL, total spend on my bike 3700 i can sell it now in my country for 6500 easily you do the math.

rodrigo

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
it also depends on the title.
a lot of states wont register a salvaged title.

i bought a clear titled wrecked zx9 that the original owner had taken apart and tried to fix himself.

as long as the frame is good and you have a good shop manual and the right tools it can be done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts