Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(brinks, I'm lookin' in your direction!)

Hey guys,

Got a ticket a couple months back. Pretty much ******** (following to closely), and I'd take the class if I could, but I got a ticket earlier in the year (that I deserved, no joke) so I'm in a bind. I don't want the poinsts on my license so I've requested a court date, in hopes the cop doesn't show up or that I can get the judge to assign a class and not give me points.

A lawyer buddy of mine told me the best bet is to get one of those ticket only lawyers to go court on my behalf, but this is such a silly ticket. That and I just feel like a douche having to hire a lawyer, don't want to spend the money on it (which I dont really have), etc.

So, anyone who's fought a ticket:

- Should I hire a lawyer? Is that the safest bet?
- Anyone gone to court and (succesfully) argued a lame ticket? (I'm a pretty clean cut guy, I'd like to think I'd do a good job)
- Anyone in FL hired one of those "ticket doctor" type lawyers and have a good experience?

It really was ********. I was going with the flow of traffic on a major highway (5 over), not riding aggressively or anything. I do 2000 miles a month, ride my bike to work every day, and like I said, the one ticket I got previously I really did deserve.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Not looking forward to this

- M

L

·
0 Posts
i have gone to court in other states to fight ******** tickets. i highly recommend the ticket lawyer route.

you'll pretty much tell your side of the story, then the cop tells his. if you have nothing to back up your side of the story, the judge goes with what the cop says and you have your ticket.

the lawyer usually knows the judges and has some play with what he can get your ticket knocked down to or thrown out.

·
silent master
3,532 Posts
im here at las vegas, i have a lawyer for all the tickets i have. i once had a $800+ ticket that got knocked down to $360. they really do a great job.

$360 is much better than $800.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went to ticket court in Clearwater, FL. The judge was making people pay left and right. If you don't have the proof and it's your word against the cop, you will lose. Get a lawyer or just pay your ticket.

The judge specifically said, "Going with the flow of traffic and getting picked out of the group is NOT a defense." Gees, I WAS going to say that!

·
Registered
243 Posts
panda_stunter said:
im here at las vegas, i have a lawyer for all the tickets i have. i once had a $800+ ticket that got knocked down to $360. they really do a great job.

Gee that's wonderful.....but only one problem , you didn't say how much the lawyer co$t :!: ....and I'm guessing the ticket went on your record, right?

_____RED RR_____
*AFAM rear
*Galfer SS lines
*Motul E-Tech
*Pilot power
*Vinci carbon fiber

"The BITTERNESS of poor quality remains long after the SWEETNESS of a cheap price is forgotten!"

·
Registered
419 Posts
you can beat out the ticket if it was issued during rush hour

·
Registered
346 Posts
stblown said:
First of all, that is B.S. Secondly, I'm not sure what agency issued you the ticket but here in Orlando we can get in trouble if we don't go to court. Having said that, they're are a lot of us that still work midnights that seldom go to traffic court because its like 2 hours after we get off from work. You might get lucky because if the officer doesn't show up, you're good to go.

·
Registered
419 Posts
brinks13081 said:
stblown said:
First of all, that is B.S. Secondly, I'm not sure what agency issued you the ticket but here in Orlando we can get in trouble if we don't go to court. Having said that, they're are a lot of us that still work midnights that seldom go to traffic court because its like 2 hours after we get off from work. You might get lucky because if the officer doesn't show up, you're good to go.
I'm not trying to turn this into a big heated issue. I'm sorry brinks13081 if you ment the ticket that mackdaddy got is B.S. or not but if you ment that what I said is B.S then I would like to clear the air 1st of all I never said for him not to go to court. 2nd thing is that a ticket for tailgating is the same if it is issued by city police, highway patrol, US park police so the agency shouldn't matter. Mackdaddy never stated what time he goes to work. Mackdaddy asked if anyone has gone to court and succesfully argued a lame ticket . I was just informing him that if the ticket was issued during rush hour time that he has a chance to beat the ticket. He already knew if the cop doesn't show up to court that the judge will dismiss the ticket. So once again I am sorry if I took your quote wrong. I've just had a bad day (which is not your fault) and just need to vent.

·
silent master
3,532 Posts
2X80MPH said:
panda_stunter said:

Gee that's wonderful.....but only one problem , you didn't say how much the lawyer co$t :!: ....and I'm guessing the ticket went on your record, right?

actually, the lawyer was free, thats why i didnt say how much the service cost. and yes, the ticket went to my record as illegal parking violation. which is 1 point against me, its better than the original, which was 6

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had a speeding ticket for 55 in a 35 and I felt kind of in the same position as you. In my case I replayed it in my head and realized that there was no way he clocked me got into the road and used two hands to signal me over without dropping the clocking device. I went to court and the cop did show up. They asked him technical stuff like was he certified on using the machine then I got to ask questions. I asked him if he clocked me he said yes. I asked where he may have put the device he said under his arm. I then asked if he remembered how he motioned for me to pull over (using two extended arms one forward to stop and one to pull over to the side) he agreed. Then I asked wouldnt the device have fallen and he was stuck. The judge still took 1 point and I know one point isnt **** but I won and still lost. And my fine went from 100+ to 35 bucks. On hiring a lawyer it might be the way to go at least insurance wise.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The only time I have ever heard of a following too close ticket to be issued is in the event of an accident.

How long was the officer following you to prove that you were following to close? If he was siting on the side of the road and watched you go by it's all to easy to argue ( the vehicle in front of me was slowing down, I was in the process of doing the same).

I recieved a cititation back in 2001 after I crashed in the mountains. I was a jackass and took my eyes of my line and put my bike in the ditch. The officer cited me (in the Er mind you) for speed greater than prudent. I took the ticket to court and argued that this was the wrong offense. Had the officer cited me for failure to maintain a single lane of travel, inatentive driving, stupid in a no stupid zone, ect ect than I wouldn't argue the ticket. I also stated that there was no damage to government or private property. The ticket was dismissed.

Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts