Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My brake light flickers, it all start when i installed a new LED brakelight. Wired up the lights for the braking LEDs and noticed something was off. If i pull the brake lever in and pulse the lever a bit the light flickers a little bit. The worse part is that there is a dead spot during lever travel, best way to describe it is that when the lever travels back out a little bit the braking portion of the light stops(turns to a regular running light) then when the lever is let out competely at that point the light flickers on quickly then off back to a running light.

I thought maybe it was the new light so i wired the old OEM on back on to test if it has the same issue. It does not have the dead spot issue but if i pulse the lever it flickers as well.

Do the solders points in the kill switch housing connect to the brake lever? I think they may have went bad. I tested the rear brake lever and it seems fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess my orignial post is poorly written. Does the killswitch contacts relate to the brake switch?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
No.........
I would remove the front brake switch and use the switch manually with your finger. Might be a bad switch if the only effects the front switch. T

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No.........
I would remove the front brake switch and use the switch manually with your finger. Might be a bad switch if the only effects the front switch. T
Are there an write ups on how to do that? I guess i start with removing the brake lever?

D

·
0 Posts
Look on the bottom of the master cylinder. There's two little screws that hold a small black microswitch to it. Undo those screws and pull the switch off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alrighty, when I get home for lunch I'll give a look. I guess all that flicking my brake light at stop lights took its toll, how much does a new switch go for?

Edit: Nevermind found it on bike bandit. its 11 bucks. thats not to bad. Part # 638347

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i removed the microswitch, I can not tell whether is the switch over not because now no matter how i wire the light it either is not on or the brake light is always on and when i press the switch manually it goes to a running light... I swear this day is snowball but instead of snow its s***. :banghead::banghead::banghead::gun1:

D

·
0 Posts
Leave it wired as it should be when installed, and actuate the switch by hand to test it.

D

·
0 Posts
Nothing pressing the switch down? Unplug it. Does the brake light turn off and the running light on?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing pressing the switch down? Unplug it. Does the brake light turn off and the running light on?
I have to go home and test it. I thought maybe the switch finally took a crap and now thinks is depressed all the time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when I unplug the micro switch the brake light goes off and returns to a running light. So I guess the switch is bad

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Yes or the leads are just dirty.. Clean them and try again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I'm confused now. With the micro switch unscrewed from the master cylinder the brake light switch works in reverse. Press the switch in and the running light portion comes on(brake light goes off), but when I screwed the switch back into the master the switch now works perfect? I guess the screw completes some kind of connection? does this seem odd you any of you? :confused3

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Pull the switch off and use your finger to engage.. When the switch is pushed in your brakes turn on. released your brake turns off. If it's not working like this unplug the switch and see if the running light comes back on. If it does your switch is bad, not sure how this could be reversed it's a NO switch all it is doing is closing the loop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts