Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes Yes I know this is a very squidish thing to do, but I thought what the heck and gave it a go at the weekend...

Thing is, whereas with a non-FI bike, the bike just carries on as if nothing has happened, except with a lovely flame out the back.

When I did this on the RR, the bike behaved like I was trying to bum start it and did not want to rev properly. I presumed this is because the FI system did not know what to do and had a mild panic attack.

I easily sorted the problem by pulling in the clutch, allowing the bike to settle and then giving it some revs to check everything was ok.

Has anyone else tried this, foung the same issues / have any sugestions for how to do it on the RR, or is it something I should generally avoid ?? Could it even damage the bike ??

Thanks in advance for your posts

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Are you just trying to blow a head gasket? These bikes already run high compression cylinders and you doing something "squidish" as this is beyond me. But it's your bike and yet another reason why I won't buy a used bike. :nono:

Tim

·
Registered
248 Posts
What's the difference between hitting the kill switch while the bike is riding down the road and bump starting it?

Both are doing the same thing to the bike, right? And from what I understand I hear a lot of people bump start their RR...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
F=ma said:
What's the difference between hitting the kill switch while the bike is riding down the road and bump starting it?

Both are doing the same thing to the bike, right? And from what I understand I hear a lot of people bump start their RR...
The difference is your loading the cyclinders and exhaust with raw unburned gas and then firing it off under extreme pressures. You stand the chance of blowing piston rings, gaskets, and seals out.

If you want to shoot flames out the a$$ remove the CC's and install a spark plug in the tail pipe like they did in the old days. Then mix the A/F ratio rich as hell so you have raw gas leaving the exhaust. Run a jumper wire from one of the ignitors/coils through an "On/Off" switch to the spark plug and enjoy. Instant flames!!

**Perform this at your own risk. I have no plans of doing this to my bike. Remember that you will have flames directly behind you. At certian highway speeds flames could possibly burn you. Also, this will most likely burn the packing out of the muffler much quicker than normal.**

Tim

·
Registered
248 Posts
NewRedRider said:
The difference is your loading the cyclinders and exhaust with raw unburned gas and then firing it off under extreme pressures. You stand the chance of blowing piston rings, gaskets, and seals out.

Tim
Unless the gas is being ignited before the piston reaches TDC how is that any different than the normal operation of any 4-stroke otto cycle combustion engine? The engine normally compresses to 12 or 13 times the displacement and a spark sets off an ignition that provides a power stroke. The rings, piston, valves, gaskets take that "abuse" 15,000 times a minute... right?

Is the compression somehow different when you cut the engine at speed? or does the ignition occur at a point other than just past TDC?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
F=ma said:
NewRedRider said:

Tim
Unless the gas is being ignited before the piston reaches TDC how is that any different than the normal operation of any 4-stroke otto cycle combustion engine? The engine normally compresses to 12 or 13 times the displacement and a spark sets off an ignition that provides a power stroke. The rings, piston, valves, gaskets take that "abuse" 15,000 times a minute... right?

Is the compression somehow different when you cut the engine at speed? or does the ignition occur at a point other than just past TDC?
There's no spark so it can't ignite before TDC. It runs the engine through more cycles of unburned fuel and builds up. With the crank, cam, and valves still turning and the fuel pump pumping it loads the entire intake and exhaust path with fuel. Then when the switch is turned on it ignites all at once creating the backfire. The exhaust pipe is NOT where you want your fuel igniting. You want it to ignite INSIDE the cylinders. Now, I'm not 100% sure if the fuel pump continues to run with the ignition switch off but I'm 99.9% sure it does. In fact I think I remember the manual stating in one of the troubleshooting sections to verify the fuel pump is running with the key on and the switch off. I'm still looking for it. I'll see when I leave from work and post back up when I get home.

These bikes being a FI system I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as a normally aspirated motor. Meaning, the injectors may not spray fuel with the switch off. If so, then it really doesn't matter. Your just spinning dead cylinders around. But with carbs the fuel just keeps coming. No electronics to stop it from flowing.

Loading up your bike with raw fuel will eventually foul the plugs and damage the CC's and the O2 sensors (CA only). Remember these bikes have an ECU and who knows what they can log.

Tim

·
Registered
602 Posts
NewRedRider, wow.. there is a handful.. love your avatar. is that your hand touching it? hehehe :twisted:

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeet avatar tim you naughty boy :bitchslap: j/k

·
Registered
116 Posts
How about having some beans before you go riding and installing a spark plug in your ass? It will give the new meaning to "crotch rocket".

No oofense, but this thread reminded me of "Jackass" (the movie). Things like shoving a toy car up the ass or electricuting the balls. There are so many ways to "play" with human body. Apparently there are as many ways to screw up your bike. I can't believe people would go as far as installing spark plugs in the exhaust solely to shoot flames. I wonder why Honda didn't think of that mod. :mrgreen: Check out Gixxer forums, those guys are definitely bigger on "fun" factor.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Guys I stand corrected. The fuel pump IS shut off when you hit the engine stop switch. That's why nothing happened spiceboy.

shoora_r, I agree 100%. I can't understand WHY someone would do it. But if they want to, there it is.

shiru, Every night!!! :twisted: j/k

moeman, What did you expect! They remind me of one of my Ex's. ...Aawww. Those were the days! :mrgreen:

Tim

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
good thing she is an ex otherwise you would not have all the fun you are having now

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had an avatar like that and was told by one of the moderators to get rid of it. If no one has said anything than have at her but be aware that they dont like that kind of thing

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You guys are hijacking the $h!t out of this thread! Start a thread that says "NewRedRiders Avatar" :mrgreen:

hawaii600rr,

Uuuh. What did they say was wrong with it? There's no nudity. Just some girl in a bikini bouncing her boob. Are you serious about that man? Cause I really like that avatar. :???:

Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts