Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Basically there is no throttle cable. The computer senses the amount of twist on the throttle and makes appropriate response. Consider it Digital.

X

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
doesn't the 06 R6 have something like that?

Also would you be able to reprogram it so it is a 1/4 or 1/5 throttle? that would be cool

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It does as do some Military fighter jets...Here is the avionic definition:

Fly-by-wire is a means of aircraft control that uses electronic circuits to send inputs from the pilot to the motors that move the various flight controls on the aircraft. There are no direct hydraulic or mechanical linkages between the pilot and the flight controls. Digital fly-by-wire uses an electronic flight control system coupled with a digital computer to replace conventional mechanical flight controls.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Personally I would prefer a mechanical cable. Easier to replace/adjust and theres no guess work as you would have with sensors. So what happens when the servo motor pukes or the sensor fails? Or worse yet it gets stuck in the open position. I love newer technology and all but some things are best left alone, the KISS theory comes to mind. Being in IT has shown me not all the latest and greatest technology works...can you say Microsoft SMS?!?!

·
Registered
507 Posts
i've noticed a lot of GM cars are starting to do this..they eliminate the cable and use a TPS- 'throttle position sensor' i suppose on a bike they want to use it for quicker throttle response time

·
Registered
428 Posts
TrikyWoo said:
i've noticed a lot of GM cars are starting to do this..they eliminate the cable and use a TPS- 'throttle position sensor' i suppose on a bike they want to use it for quicker throttle response time
This has been going on for the past couple years, i know ford does this on almost all of there newer cars. and there are several more TPS sensors added for accuracy (in the pedal and at the t-body)

·
Registered
507 Posts
yeah that's how denali's are..the pedal is on a tps sensor and it turns an actuator on the throttle body..they threw them on the new GTO's

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
xphile said:
It does as do some Military fighter jets...
Almost all aircraft built in the past decade or 2 have operated on FBW other than a few of the single engine prop planes ... it has been around for a while

TrickyWoo said:
they eliminate the cable and use a TPS- 'throttle position sensor' i suppose on a bike they want to use it for quicker throttle response time
The TPS has nothing to do with the Fly By Wire system. TPS's have been around since the beginning of fuel injection, they are simply a sensor that tells the ECU how much fuel to inject based on the position of the throttle butterfly. I guess they could install a TPS like unit on the handle bar next to the throttle tube to determine at what position your hand has the throttle, then relay that to an actuator on the throttle butterfly? That sounds pretty simple but i don't know how exactly the engineers are going to design this FBW feature into the bikes ...

·
Registered
323 Posts
my 05 accord v6 is fbw and it feels so much better that my 03 which had a throttle cable much more responsive and junk.lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
All the Silverado SS's are FBW, its a little touchy of idle until you get used to it, much better throttle response though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All electronic throttle, cars have been using it for a few years. My 04 Acura TSX has drive by wire. Its ok I guess. Just another gadget that can break though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts